News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought the whole point of building the same attraction in multiple parks was to make the rides more affordable. I would think the MK version would be much cheaper than Shanghai due to the existing engineering and building plans - etc
The MK budget would include site prep and clearing, additional designs unique for the MK like access, wages, materials priced in US dollars and the like. I dare say it also includes some if not all of the speedway project. At least I’d hope it does.

lazyboy97o

I thought the whole point of building the same attraction in multiple parks was to make the rides more affordable. I would think the MK version would be much cheaper than Shanghai due to the existing engineering and building plans - etc
You cannot use a design for one country in another. Any savings are in knowing the show the configuration but there is still a lot of design work involved. Labor and materials in the US are also more expensive.

britain

Still can’t wrap my head around Tron being more expensive than “kitchen sink, rock work galore, hundred+ AAs, new gold standard of eTicket” battle escape.

Or was that just GOTG cost, not Tron’s?

Or is the price of battle escape cut in half because Disneyland and WDW are sharing the costs?

Clamman73

I don't know if this has been asked before....is this getting the same light show treatment or just too far back within Tomorrowland for it???

lazyboy97o

I'm fairly certain we've had 100% inflation since then.
Not sure how but I made a mistake, Time Traveler is opening this coming spring in 2018. Time Traveler is a great example of Disney’s inflated costs. Slinky Dog Dash is costing more than twice as much. Both are Mack Rides launch coasters with two launches. Both are opening in 2018. Time Traveler is being built on a wooded hillside in Missouri versus a relatively flat, open site in Florida. Transportation costs from the same factory in Germany would likely be higher going to Missouri as it is further inland. Average construction costs are also higher in Missouri than in Florida. All those factors that make Missouri more expensive to build and Disney is spending more than double on a similar roller coaster.

cheezbat

This is Disney just being Disney. Sick, way overinflated prices...nothing should cost anywhere near $350 million. If parks like Cedar Point can build a 310 foot tall, 6,500 foot long Coaster for under $50 million, and Carowinds can build Fury, a 325 foot tall, nearly 6,000 foot long Coaster for around $50 million too, there is NO reason Disney should be paying anywhere close to even $50 million for a Vekoma launch coaster that's 78 feet tall and only 3,000 feet long. Add a building, special effects, screens, sound system, and a cool canopy with lighting effects, the whole thing should come in no higher than $150 million.

Their budgets make me sick.

lazyboy97o

This is Disney just being Disney. Sick, way overinflated prices...nothing should cost anywhere near $350 million. If parks like Cedar Point can build a 310 foot tall, 6,500 foot long Coaster for under $50 million, and Carowinds can build Fury, a 325 foot tall, nearly 6,000 foot long Coaster for around $50 million too, there is NO reason Disney should be paying anywhere close to even $50 million for a Vekoma launch coaster that's 78 feet tall and only 3,000 feet long. Add a building, special effects, screens, sound system, and a cool canopy with lighting effects, the whole thing should come in no higher than $150 million.

Their budgets make me sick.
Remember when Disney touted the extravagant price of Expedition Everest as exceeding $100 million?

Absimilliard

Not sure how but I made a mistake, Time Traveler is opening this coming spring in 2018. Time Traveler is a great example of Disney’s inflated costs. Slinky Dog Dash is costing more than twice as much. Both are Mack Rides launch coasters with two launches. Both are opening in 2018. Time Traveler is being built on a wooded hillside in Missouri versus a relatively flat, open site in Florida. Transportation costs from the same factory in Germany would likely be higher going to Missouri as it is further inland. Average construction costs are also higher in Missouri than in Florida. All those factors that make Missouri more expensive to build and Disney is spending more than double on a similar roller coaster.

At IAAPA last week, I was told some interesting stories about Time Traveler. Due to tight location down in the valley, they had to pour some footers, cover them up in dirt, move some equipment over and continue construction. That would explain a lot about the insane budget for the ride, 26 million dollars.

WDI has the most insane demands for their rides in the business. One vendor mentioned that the quality control Disney demand of their rides is beyond everything he can imagine. He compared it to fabricating steel structures for a power plant or similar high stress structures. It doesn't fully explain the insane budgets we are quoted, but it is a valid explanation. TRON trains are probably the most expensive components of that ride. They are much larger than the standard Vekoma motorcycle coasters, feature a custom restraint system and has to include batteries to power the audio and lights.

Travel Junkie

WDI has the most insane demands for their rides in the business. One vendor mentioned that the quality control Disney demand of their rides is beyond everything he can imagine. He compared it to fabricating steel structures for a power plant or similar high stress structures. It doesn't fully explain the insane budgets we are quoted, but it is a valid explanation. TRON trains are probably the most expensive components of that ride. They are much larger than the standard Vekoma motorcycle coasters, feature a custom restraint system and has to include batteries to power the audio and lights.

Yeah I've heard the Disney hilariously over engineers their attractions.

GCTales

At IAAPA last week, I was told some interesting stories about Time Traveler. Due to tight location down in the valley, they had to pour some footers, cover them up in dirt, move some equipment over and continue construction. That would explain a lot about the insane budget for the ride, 26 million dollars.

Disney QA/QC standards and documentation, PDR/DR and related meetings and submitted documents certainly increase costs and were on level with or exceeded the federal / mil-std work I have seen.

Toss in challenges related to foundation and change orders during design... It doesn't really surprise me too much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom