News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Disney Glimpses

With the train being shut down for Tron I think that has a big impact on guest flow at the MK. Also isnt that extra walkway between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland closed?
The train has low capacity and they've been dealing without that walkway for years. There's no reason for a mad rush to get those things back. I'd argue that the state of Future World (World Celebration) has a much greater impact.

MagicHappens1971

With the train being shut down for Tron I think that has a big impact on guest flow at the MK. Also isnt that extra walkway between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland closed?
The train doesn’t add much capacity and the majority of MK guests didn’t even know that walkway existed, unless you were a smoker because it was mostly just a smoking section lol. Epcot’s maze of walls is a mess and really detracts from guest experience

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Even if they did remove the Speedway, I can't imagine they'd just leave it as empty space. They'd build another attraction (or shops/restaurants) in that footprint, which would actually block views of TRON even more.
They could build a lagoon with fountains on the southern side near Space and make the northern side a mini-land that uses TRON as a weenie with a pathway that goes around the lake.

Plus, it would make for a better transition to Fantasyland and fix up arguably the ugliest area of the park.

A Jules Verne, WALL-E, or Big Hero 6 San Fransokyo mini-land would be really cool.

Would make for some killer night-time aesthetics whilst improving the view ridding Tomorrowland of its pavement wasteland.

Just thinking about this makes me so happy for TRON!

kalel8145

They could build a lagoon with fountains on the southern side near Space and make the northern side a mini-land that uses TRON as a weenie with a pathway that goes around the lake.

Plus, it would make for a better transition to Fantasyland and fix up arguably the ugliest area of the park.

A Jules Verne, WALL-E, or Big Hero 6 San Fransokyo mini-land would be really cool.

Would make for some killer night-time aesthetics whilst improving the view.
Lionel Ritchie What GIF

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
¨Weenie¨ is Imagineering speak for a visual element that draws you in. Think Tower of Terror for Sunset Boulevard, Hogwarts Castle for Hogsmeade, or park icons like The Tree of Life for Discovery Island, among others.

One of my favorite uses is Disneyland Paris' Frontierland. Its Big Thunder Mountain acts as the first weenie, looming over the Main Street hub opposite Space Mountain and growing in size as you pass through the fort. Once you arrive in the old west town of Big Thunder Mesa, to your left is Phantom Manor looming ominously in the distance.

I can't think of a single land with better execution from that perspective. Maybe DisneySea's American Waterfront (although there's a lot more going on there), but nonetheless a great example of why they're so integral to themed design and even crowd flow.
DLP-MK-Frontierland-entrance.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
frontierland-daytime-panorama-disneyland-paris.jpg

If Disney was to do something like this, with TRON looming in the distance behind a lake and a new mini-land acting as a smaller one, Tomorrowland would be stacked with weenies. Astro Orbitor, Space Mountain, and potential better integration with TRON would be killer.

kalel8145

¨Weenie¨ is Imagineering speak for a visual element that draws you in. Think Tower of Terror for Sunset Boulevard, Hogwarts Castle for Hogsmeade, or park icons like The Tree of Life for Discovery Island, among others.

One of my favorite uses is Disneyland Paris' Frontierland. Its Big Thunder Mountain acts as the first weenie, looming over the Main Street hub opposite Space Mountain and growing in size as you pass through the fort. Once you arrive in the old west town of Big Thunder Mesa, to your left is Phantom Manor looming ominously in the distance.

I can't think of a single land with better execution from that perspective. Maybe DisneySea's American Waterfront (although there's a lot more going on there), but nonetheless a great example of why they're so integral to themed design and even crowd flow.View attachment 638415View attachment 638416View attachment 638414

If Disney was to do something like this, with TRON looming in the distance behind a lake and a new mini-land acting as a smaller one, Tomorrowland would be stacked with weenies. Astro Orbitor, Space Mountain, and potential better integration with TRON would be killer.
Very interesting. Thank you for the info. Appreciate it.

ToTBellHop

I can't think of a single land with better execution from that perspective. Maybe DisneySea's American Waterfront (although there's a lot more going on there), but nonetheless a great example of why they're so integral to themed design and even crowd flow.View attachment 638415View attachment 638416View attachment 638414

DLP really does look stunning in photographs.

UNCgolf

DLP really does look stunning in photographs.

It really does.

I'm certainly not at the level of Disney fandom as some others on this forum. I don't visit WDW that often and I've never had any desire to take a trip specifically to see one of the other parks -- not that I'm opposed to seeing them (far from it); just that if I'm going to those places there are too many other things I want to see/experience first. I've now been to LA enough that Disneyland is probably in the queue for a visit next time I'm there, but although I have spent time in Paris, there's still a long list of things ahead of DLP whenever I go back.

With that said, I hope I eventually spend enough time in Paris that I feel okay about taking a day or two to visit DLP. It just looks fantastic.

JoeCamel

You can see how far out the top of the tunnel extends today -

I want to see an engine coming out of FL station with a full train pour the oil to it to gather speed for the grade ahead. Should be an interesting sight for those on the walkways.
Or maybe they took advantage of the downtime and converted the fleet to battery/electric so it just goes swoooshhh

fgmnt

I want to see an engine coming out of FL station with a full train pour the oil to it to gather speed for the grade ahead. Should be an interesting sight for those on the walkways.
Or maybe they took advantage of the downtime and converted the fleet to battery/electric so it just goes swoooshhh
I believe they sent the trains out to get a traditional refurb, no?

Genuinely, there is value in the company making it a third rail electric train while making it look like a steam engine for show, but this company will not do it.

Anteater

I believe they sent the trains out to get a traditional refurb, no?

Genuinely, there is value in the company making it a third rail electric train while making it look like a steam engine for show, but this company will not do it.
there may be cost savings. But, I'd say the conversion lose a lot of interest by fans. The sounds and smells of a traditional locomotive is unmistakable. The only thing missing on WDWRR is genuine coal burning like they are at Dollywood. But, you've got to cut them some slack; WDWRR was never coal driven.

Guess you could make it into a nuclear powered time machine. But, that's the wrong park!

EricsBiscuit

The train has low capacity and they've been dealing without that walkway for years. There's no reason for a mad rush to get those things back. I'd argue that the state of Future World (World Celebration) has a much greater impact.
WDWRR has a great capacity (375 per train, 20 minute loops, 3 train operation on a busy day) and is very popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom