News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

_caleb

It feels very short when you are on it...the brakes in the show building ruin the experience. and having the ride split into three sections heightens the feeling of shortness... The Launch, The Canopy run, The show building. The don't flow together, they are like three acts. Sure the Canopy is cool...and it is exciting to see the coaster zoom outside, but from a storyline standpoint, it makes no sense and sort of takes you out of the world of tron..you are outside, then braking hard, then dropping into the show building with too many brakes. It is a beautiful ride, and a fun idea, it is just too short...
I still remember the photo you posted of yourself on TRON in Shanghai. Looked like you were having fun! But your points about the ride being short and the weird transitions between indoor/outdoor portions kind of make me disappointed and I haven’t even ridden it yet!

_caleb

I love seeing Disney billboards while on my way to Disney.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I have a question... are there billboards for Disney all over Florida, or just in Orlando?
I imagine there will be lots more going up all around the state soon.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Between people who do not like coasters, not making Tron a priority ride at a Disney Park, not in good health, mean far less will ride the coaster than will ride it who enter. Space Mountain for exmaple, gets a surprising low amount of ridership compared to the gate clicks, is in the same park, and that ride features the good design from decades ago.

But isn't there always a line for SM? That means that there are always more people who want to ride it than the ride's capacity can handle, no?

Bocabear

I still remember the photo you posted of yourself on TRON in Shanghai. Looked like you were having fun! But your points about the ride being short and the weird transitions between indoor/outdoor portions kind of make me disappointed and I haven’t even ridden it yet!
I never said it wasn't fun... The launch is very fun...and the pictures are taken at launch... Parts of the attraction are great...ride length and excessive braking take away from the overall experience...Perhaps a better ending would end it on a high note instead of a long empty hallway back to the station (Rock n Roller Coaster). Since in the ride, you won against the other team, it could be more of a celebration of victory instead of nothingness...it would help enforce the story...Maybe the queue will tell a better story than the Chinese version ( I don't speak Chinese, so it is probable that I missed quite a bit)... If it tells you anything, Tron was a walk-On the evening we were there but still big lines for Pirates Of The Caribbean ( which moves HUGE volumes of people).

_caleb

I never said it wasn't fun... The launch is very fun...and the pictures are taken at launch... Parts of the attraction are great...ride length and excessive braking take away from the overall experience...Perhaps a better ending would end it on a high note instead of a long empty hallway back to the station (Rock n Roller Coaster). Since in the ride, you won against the other team, it could be more of a celebration of victory instead of nothingness...it would help enforce the story...Maybe the queue will tell a better story than the Chinese version ( I don't speak Chinese, so it is probable that I missed quite a bit)... If it tells you anything, Tron was a walk-On the evening we were there but still big lines for Pirates Of The Caribbean ( which moves HUGE volumes of people).
Thanks for sharing your experience with those of us who haven’t had the chance to visit!

celluloid

It would have been a perfect opportunity to have it be a dueling coaster where you are always seeming to win or a racing dueling coaster. The iconic scene was a dueling race after all.
This would have of course cost more but it could have been a better capacity and ride experience not only with the pacing, but with the dynamic and kinetic energy of a other light cycle train.

lazyboy97o

It would have been a perfect opportunity to have it be a dueling coaster where you are always seeming to win or a racing dueling coaster. The iconic scene was a dueling race after all.
This would have of course cost more but it could have been a better capacity and ride experience not only with the pacing, but with the dynamic and kinetic energy of a other light cycle train.
But you see, a roller coaster track costs tens of millions of dollars and this attraction costs hundreds of millions of dollars. The math just doesn't work. Right?

SilentWindODoom

No. Post 6880.

Oh! I just worked with the handful I saw. That pic looked horrifying, but others didn't look good either. I don't know what's accurate or not and I have no friggin' clue where that is from, but I'd just spent an entire day writing about Tron and I wasn't going to mock up a bunch of stuff. But all the research I did seemed to suggest it was going to be seen from all over that side of the park. But unfortunately I don't think a lot of people hold the Energy building an its former tenants in the same part of their heart as I do because I can't find much if any pics of these views. It's more just focused on the construction and those pics come from outside or far off. And unlike the Magic Kingdom, the Epcot views aren't as updated on Google Maps.

But I doubt that's what he was talking about since he seemed to be critiquing the Tron post. I still don't understand the claim "You bringing up so much evidence proves that you're full of crap." :hilarious:

Yeah the secret of the contemporary/ BLT is that the views are already terrible. Look kids, roofs! A bus station! And a castle that is no where near is big as it looks from inside the park!

You forgot the cell tower!

Yeah -- Horizons was really the only ride that fits this description. Maybe Living With the Land if you want to stretch.

The original Energy was pretty dry.

I love seeing Disney billboards while on my way to Disney.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I have a question... are there billboards for Disney all over Florida, or just in Orlando?

Do they still have the old Tower of Terror one with the elevator that shakes? I swear that's been there since the opening of the ride and it's what I always think of when I think of their billboards. But in the last six years or so all my trips were to the Yacht Club so I didn't take the bus.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

JoeCamel

Do they still have the old Tower of Terror one with the elevator that shakes? I swear that's been there since the opening of the ride and it's what I always think of when I think of their billboards. But in the last six years or so all my trips were to the Yacht Club so I didn't take the bus.

About 10? years ago they had to rebuild the sign as the mechanics that move the arm were toast. Was down for quite a while.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
But you see, a roller coaster track costs tens of millions of dollars and this attraction costs hundreds of millions of dollars. The math just doesn't work. Right?

Yeah, having two 60-second long rollercoasters isn't much better for the ride experience than one 60-second long coaster. They'd be better off spending that money to make a longer coaster to begin with

corran horn

A 3-minute coaster might last long enough to make a memory I’d want to commemorate with a souvenir.

I'm gonna assume Disney knows far more about churn than I do.

They'll also sell souveniers off of the TRON name and the 'wow' factor of the ride I imagine.

Somewhere they did the math and we got what we got.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What's Next Gen?

The whole My Disney Experience web and apps cloudification of electronic info and reservations including FastPass+. Supposedly a $2B price tag for it (think of the infrastructure needed to have almost every ride in every park have FP tapstiles and a separate FP queue).

On Disney's end, they believed FP+ would move people around enough to give guests a chance to ride the big E-Ticket rides without waiting in several 2 hour queues, and thus solve their overcrowding problem.

The real problem, however, was the unending increase in guests year after year which surpassed MK's ability to give everyone a good experience. And so, FP+ didn't accomplish what Disney hoped for, and so Disney tried to find other ways to deal with overcrowding, like raising prices and discounting off-season, and making the other parks more attractive with more attractions.

Meanwhile, FP+ is being blamed for over crowding rather than crowds being over capacity. Which, in a way, it is in that it stalled Disney's opportunity to deal with the real reason of overcrowding, however, once you have too many people in the park, FP+ isn't the cause of long lines... too many people are.

Anyhoo... personally, with the ability to manage hotels, restaurants, FP, mobile ordering, maps, info, etc... I think Next Gen is great despite it not accomplishing what Disney wanted.

Disney still has an over capacity problem in MK still, tho (outside of a pandemic)...

ChewbaccaYourMum

The whole My Disney Experience web and apps cloudification of electronic info and reservations including FastPass+. Supposedly a $2B price tag for it (think of the infrastructure needed to have almost every ride in every park have FP tapstiles and a separate FP queue).

On Disney's end, they believed FP+ would move people around enough to give guests a chance to ride the big E-Ticket rides without waiting in several 2 hour queues, and thus solve their overcrowding problem.

The real problem, however, was the unending increase in guests year after year which surpassed MK's ability to give everyone a good experience. And so, FP+ didn't accomplish what Disney hoped for, and so Disney tried to find other ways to deal with overcrowding, like raising prices and discounting off-season, and making the other parks more attractive with more attractions.

Meanwhile, FP+ is being blamed for over crowding rather than crowds being over capacity. Which, in a way, it is in that it stalled Disney's opportunity to deal with the real reason of overcrowding, however, once you have too many people in the park, FP+ isn't the cause of long lines... too many people are.

Anyhoo... personally, with the ability to manage hotels, restaurants, FP, mobile ordering, maps, info, etc... I think Next Gen is great despite it not accomplishing what Disney wanted.

Disney still has an over capacity problem in MK still, tho (outside of a pandemic)...
Oh ok that makes sense thanks! Yeah I actually love the whole experience. For someone who took the time to understand it and get used to it, over many years, it becomes a major advantage and I rarely ever wait on lines with the Fastpass+ power lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom