News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

corran horn

It's not about cost/seconds of entertainment for Disney. If it was they'd never cut on-stage performers as much as they do.

It's about 'wow' and merch and billboards and commercials. TRON will deliver that in spades.

Beacon Joe

I'm guessing we'll see Boarding Groups for the first six months or so...

:eek:😭😿😥 I have yet to tell this forum my tale and observations from my RoTR Boarding Group experience the other week. At least we were able to get on the thing. My brother is down there now and wasted a whole day at Hollywood Studios trying to get on that ride. I guess the silver lining if you're correct is that people actually enjoy going to the Magic Kingdom so they won't be upset if they cannot ride TRON for a while.

corran horn

I’m excited for it. The ride delivers on something I’ve always wanted to do ride a light cycle.

Sure, it’s short but the gimmick is good enough for me. I’m also biased because I get excited over every little scrap of TRON news we get.

I love TRON and I was amazed they made a sequel and I was amazed they made the ride in Shanghai and I'm amazed it's coming to WDW.

celluloid

If you want to discount a long brake run, then you should also discount the slow clanky drag up a hill when comparing ride times.

Launch coaster are always going to be significantly shorter than coasters with a chain slowly pulling you up a hill. But the thrill part of the rides tend to be comparable.

Three brake runs. No one is discounting a final brake run that every coaster needs. But three in a span of less than two minutes is oddly paced and much more than most launch coasters with such a short durration.

Objectively against your claim, are multiple rides in the same state. Going from just the average time a ride starts in durration after the chian, most large coasters at regional parks are still longer even not counting their pauses.

If you are excited about it that is fine. Facts are facts.

Brer Panther

It's about 'wow' and merch and billboards and commercials. TRON will deliver that in spades.
I love seeing Disney billboards while on my way to Disney.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I have a question... are there billboards for Disney all over Florida, or just in Orlando?

Surferboy567

I don't want to derail the thread, but I have a question... are there billboards for Disney all over Florida, or just in Orlando?

As a fellow billboard lover...I agree.

Don’t think I’ve seen lots of billboards when not in close proximity to Disney or Uni. I think they have them though, albeit in a limited fashion.

celluloid

Growing up around Southwest Florida and visiting, I can say not often. It is to remind and get your dollars when you are close to to advertise the offerings in the parks that you are not visiting. The closest I saw in SWFL was at one point an billboard for Food and Wine about a decade ago.

Giss Neric

To be honest, if they were choosing to bring a ride here from Shanghai, I would rather choose their Pirates instead of Tron but of course many will be mad if they replaced their beloved classic iconic ride to a more technically advanced ride with screens.

Tron is not thrilling at all except for the launch. It's still fun but it's a family ride. I'm sure a huge majority of Disney regulars will still find it scary.

BubbaisSleep

To be honest, if they were choosing to bring a ride here from Shanghai, I would rather choose their Pirates instead of Tron but of course many will be mad if they replaced their beloved classic iconic ride to a more technically advanced ride with screens.

Tron is not thrilling at all except for the launch. It's still fun but it's a family ride. I'm sure a huge majority of Disney regulars will still find it scary.
The other side of the park desperately needs something new & exciting, especially in the Adventureland area. I wouldn't be totally upset with 2 pirate rides and an expanded Pirate's land. That side of the park is just way too gentle which sucks that the two roller coasters are next to each other. Indiana Jones, Shanghai's pirates, or something new but thrilling needs to happen.

Surfin' Tuna

60 seconds of coaster. Give or take a second. How much is this costing again?
Do you mean dollars or sight lines sacrificed? Or do you mean what happened to the ruined Tomorrowland when someone put this in the wrong park? What cost, sir, do you mean?

Am I sounding too negative tonight?

Giss Neric

Do you mean dollars or sight lines sacrificed? Or do you mean what happened to the ruined Tomorrowland when someone put this in the wrong park? What cost, sir, do you mean?

Am I sounding too negative tonight?
I think most if not all the exorbitant amount of money spent in Tron was in the queue, the facade, and the effects inside the showbuilding. If you remove all that, this will just be a mediocre coaster found anywhere else.

Surfin' Tuna

I think most if not all the exorbitant amount of money spent in Tron was in the queue, the facade, and the effects inside the showbuilding. If you remove all that, this will just be a mediocre coaster found anywhere else.
It's a fun little ride and could be enjoyable with no wait. It was just put in the wrong park, although not cloning it would be have been preferred. For the numbers this thing is costing they could have come up with a better, original ride. They could have also fixed Space Mountain and the rest of Tomorrowland. If you consider everything, I think mediocre is too kind for the project as a whole.

October82

Three brake runs. No one is discounting a final brake run that every coaster needs. But three in a span of less than two minutes is oddly paced and much more than most launch coasters with such a short durration.

Objectively against your claim, are multiple rides in the same state. Going from just the average time a ride starts in durration after the chian, most large coasters at regional parks are still longer even not counting their pauses.

If you are excited about it that is fine. Facts are facts.

Not commenting on what it does or doesn't do for pacing, but the three brake runs are required to achieve the capacity needed for a Disney park. Most coasters aren't located in parks with ~20 million gate clicks/year.

Giss Neric

It's a fun little ride and could be enjoyable with no wait. It was just put in the wrong park, although not cloning it would be have been preferred. For the numbers this thing is costing they could have come up with a better, original ride. They could have also fixed Space Mountain and the rest of Tomorrowland. If you consider everything, I think mediocre is too kind for the project as a whole.
Agree. I'm more excited for Cosmic Rewind to be honest and the Raptor coaster at Universal. Those two looks like it will pack a punch in terms of thrill.

celluloid

Not commenting on what it does or doesn't do for pacing, but the three brake runs are required to achieve the capacity needed for a Disney park. Most coasters aren't located in parks with ~20 million gate clicks/year.

I am aware of what block brakes do and I imagine others here know as well. You can have many block brakes and still have good design is what a point would be. Nothing personal but your point about 20 clicks is irrelevant. Between people who do not like coasters, not making Tron a priority ride at a Disney Park, not in good health, mean far less will ride the coaster than will ride it who enter. Space Mountain for exmaple, gets a surprising low amount of ridership compared to the gate clicks, is in the same park, and that ride features the good design from decades ago.

Back to the commentary on pacing and design
More block brakes are actually needed for constant dispatching of a very short coaster with so many trains on the track for safety, so that is the point. If it is known that they are going to be needed, than you know it is effect on the ride experience. You have a coaster that is already short, that launches for its main thrill but short, dampened even more by three brakes needing to be there because it is in fact so short with more dispatched amount of trains wanted from the stations. Space Mountain was the first computer block braked coaster, has more of them to keep those multiple small trains going and maintains its thrills for the durration and was built over 40 years ago.
Hagrids Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure is in a high volume park changes directions, keeps the thrill and utilizes some for other elements. Even with its kinks, it manages to have a constantly load platform and multiple launches throughout the ride, seven I believe. RocknRollercoaster puts its block brakes as skims past large elements such as launch and loop or corkscrews.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom