News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

mattpeto

All bets are off at the moment. One of several scenarios is no FP. But it’s an inching forward work in progress.

I would imagine some sort of VQ or very limited FP+ system comes out of this.

I'd expect Disney to take care of it's onsite guests (within the Bubble). They will have first dibs at the VQ, FP+, etc.

gerarar

Premium Member
It's been a while since some pictures of the current construction were posted!
It seems the entire front side facing Tomorrowland and Storybook Circus are enclosed. Only areas that are still opened/exposed are facing outwards of the MK and Contemporary. Also work on the canopy is picking up.

from Aug 11:
1597261659989.png

1597261677543.png

1597261690561.png

1597261732552.png

1597261746596.png

Source(s): https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2020/08/11/tron-lightcycle-run-construction-update-8-11-2020/ and the forbidden site

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I could see VQ initiated when an attraction reaches a certain point - say 90 minute or longer wait. That way it avoids all of the attractions being VQ and has the incentive to steer people to attractions with lower wait times

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The whole My Disney Experience web and apps cloudification of electronic info and reservations including FastPass+. Supposedly a $2B price tag for it (think of the infrastructure needed to have almost every ride in every park have FP tapstiles and a separate FP queue).

On Disney's end, they believed FP+ would move people around enough to give guests a chance to ride the big E-Ticket rides without waiting in several 2 hour queues, and thus solve their overcrowding problem.

The real problem, however, was the unending increase in guests year after year which surpassed MK's ability to give everyone a good experience. And so, FP+ didn't accomplish what Disney hoped for, and so Disney tried to find other ways to deal with overcrowding, like raising prices and discounting off-season, and making the other parks more attractive with more attractions.

Meanwhile, FP+ is being blamed for over crowding rather than crowds being over capacity. Which, in a way, it is in that it stalled Disney's opportunity to deal with the real reason of overcrowding, however, once you have too many people in the park, FP+ isn't the cause of long lines... too many people are.

Anyhoo... personally, with the ability to manage hotels, restaurants, FP, mobile ordering, maps, info, etc... I think Next Gen is great despite it not accomplishing what Disney wanted.

Disney still has an over capacity problem in MK still, tho (outside of a pandemic)...

Interesting take.

But my memory is fuzzy:

Wasn’t the wait time logjam in place in 2016...when aggregate attendance was reported as about 5% over what it was when it was unveiled in 2013?

And why the tiering? That seems like an important acknowledgment before a single Mickey spun?

SilentWindODoom

The whole My Disney Experience web and apps cloudification of electronic info and reservations including FastPass+. Supposedly a $2B price tag for it (think of the infrastructure needed to have almost every ride in every park have FP tapstiles and a separate FP queue).

On Disney's end, they believed FP+ would move people around enough to give guests a chance to ride the big E-Ticket rides without waiting in several 2 hour queues, and thus solve their overcrowding problem.

The real problem, however, was the unending increase in guests year after year which surpassed MK's ability to give everyone a good experience. And so, FP+ didn't accomplish what Disney hoped for, and so Disney tried to find other ways to deal with overcrowding, like raising prices and discounting off-season, and making the other parks more attractive with more attractions.

Meanwhile, FP+ is being blamed for over crowding rather than crowds being over capacity. Which, in a way, it is in that it stalled Disney's opportunity to deal with the real reason of overcrowding, however, once you have too many people in the park, FP+ isn't the cause of long lines... too many people are.

Anyhoo... personally, with the ability to manage hotels, restaurants, FP, mobile ordering, maps, info, etc... I think Next Gen is great despite it not accomplishing what Disney wanted.

Disney still has an over capacity problem in MK still, tho (outside of a pandemic)...

Yeah. It's been touched on before but I always thought from the way people talked the overcrowding issue was because they'd taken all the people out of the queues and stuffed them on the streets with the FP system.

I enjoyed it, but we'd often just use it to skip the insane line of the day (Splash/Soarin'/Toy Story/Safaris) and get experiences we wouldn't wait as long for (Enchanted Tales with Belle) or lunch reservations at Be Our Guest. I'm not a mountain guy and if I did one of those big tickets I wouldn't do it a second time until I had all the time in the world at the end of the day. Perhaps my experience isn't like many. I'm good with a leisure-ish pace and don't hammer big ticket items repeatedly, so my being in the way isn't as effected by FP.

Lirael

If I knew nothing about Disney history and someone showed me the Tron box side by side with Space Mountain and said "Okay, one of these was built in 1975 and the other has just been done, in 2020, which is which?" I'd assume the basic ugly box was what they could manage to put out with 1975 technology and the cool looking design of Space Mountain was clearly the newest engineering

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom