News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

lazyboy97o

Hagrid’s. Hogwarts. Gringott’s.

I can pick and choose projects that bolster my case too.

Feel free to view through your rose colored glasses. Mine are amber and have ancient mosquitos in them (just for fun). I have one opinion, you have another. Both are fine. That’s what’s swell about message boards. we’re clearly not going to change each other’s minds.

I’ll admit I’m less informed than in years past. I’ve been posting here since 2004(ish). And in recent years I’ve gotten so fed up with WDW that I’m hardly on here anymore. And WDW certainly hasn’t gotten my money. Uni has. Shanghai has. Hong Kong has. Tokyo has, twice. I have a short fuse with WDW. But it’s earned. And your defense of what you say was a poor building site won’t change that (no offense). I’m a customer WDW has largely lost and alienated (much like they’d love to do with their AP holders). I was free money to them. Often for 30 onsite days a year with little expense spared. And they lost me. I don’t believe them when you say it has to take 3 years to build tron. It is what it is. To me, perception and reputation are a large part of reality.
My bona fides as someone who isn’t pleased with Disney are well established. To say I am looking at Disney with rose colored glasses is one of the most ridiculous things to be posted on this site. Not liking Disney’s direction doesn’t change the fact that doing what would have made you happy would have been inefficient and a waste of money. I also said nothing about a poor building site.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

Uni builds entire lands faster than Disney builds one attraction. And I don't believe that Disney even COULD build faster than Uni if they wanted to.

Sapphire Falls opened with a month left of work because they had to pull the crew off to work on Fallon to meet its opening date. Kong missed its optimistic opening date, and over a month later grand opened silently (only a UOAP meetup), without all ride vehicles even on property. Hagrids hadn’t had enough time for proper testing and only been running at half capacity with extended downtime since opening including an entire day it was closed, due to issues. Volcano Bay wasn’t ready for even the media event, and the lazy river was closed for the press because it was already broken. There are elements of Popeye and Blutos that have been broken and missing since 2015. Volcano bay has had electrical issues that caused team members to go to the hospital and resulted in a OSHA investigation. I could go one, but rather I shall not.

So yes, Uni does get stuff done fast, but in the past few openings, things weren’t finished. At one point they had 2 crews for 5 projects on property. Disney has their own and outsources, Universal goes outsources.

Disney has the benefit of soft opening which Universal with Hagrids didn’t have any, they had a like two team memebr previews, before the press event because they were that delayed. The one benefit these two parks have is that they can Inspect their own rides and sign off on them.

Remember, Uni is apparently gonna Open the T2 replacement by the end of the year (if they make it). But let’s look at this as well. Kong and fast, are at the heart the same ride system with the same used footage from California.

Buried20KLeague

My boba fides as someone who isn’t pleased with Disney are well established. To say I am looking at Disney with rose colored glasses is one of the most ridiculous things to be posted on this site. Not like long Disney’s direction doesn’t change the fact that doing what would have made you happy would have been inefficient and a waste of money. I also said nothing about a poor building site.

I assume this was intended to be in English.

Can we be done now? We don’t agree. I was good with that many posts ago.

EricsBiscuit

My point is Hagrid's and Tron both started construction on the same month of the same year.
Both were dealing with the same availability of workers in the Orlando area.
One was finished in half the time as the other.
Because (again) Universal cares about building fast, and Disney doesn't
The difference is that Hagrid was built to compete with SWL whereas TRON is being built for the 50th anniversary.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can they at the moment though? Maybe true in the past...but with so much construction occurring all over the parks the past couple years, and this continuing towards the 50th and beyond, I am not confident that have the manpower to build at a quicker pace right now. As an example, I believe it was noted that they took workers off the mickey ride to get SW done....
They took the boffins off the GMR to fix tech issues at SWL.

Movielover

*The next morning meeting after SWL opens

Many Boffins died to bring us this E Ticket Attraction...

;)

ImperfectPixie

Because it comes off to me as putting in half effort.

If someone tells me they’re going to build a baseball stadium in 6 years (vs the guesstimated average of 3), it would annoy me. Because it could be done in 3. They’re not focused on getting the product to the fans in the shortest timeframe possible... that just doesn’t sit well with me.

My companies all involve shipping hardware and delivering solutions as soon as possible. Yes, that’s far more simplified... but to me it’s all a similar concept. If I told my customers it was going to take two weeks to get them what they need when they know they COULD have it tomorrow (at my extra expense of putting it on a plane or what have you), they’d be ticked. Again... I understand there are far more moving parts with what Disney does. But if their competitor down the street calls me and tells me they can deliver a similar product in far less time, they’re getting my money. I’m not blinded by the brand name or reputation. Just like my customers shouldn’t be by mine.
ASAP isn't how most of the world works, though. There are timelines and production schedules that need to be considered for any industry. The "I want it now" attitude doesn't fly because you've got to consider materials availability, skill availability, quality control, etc. etc. And that doesn't even take into account if the industry being discussed depends on equipment that can possibly go down.

I've posted this story before, but its pertinent here, too...I was a full-time woodcarver and a customer was being a total jack- about the fact that their project wasn't as complete as another, much simpler project. Mind you, it was within a week or so of being completed - and it was going to be finished before the promised date, but that suddenly wasn't enough for them and they were harassing my boss about it in front of not only his entire workforce, but other clients as well. He brought their $1,000, hand-carved sign over to the band-saw, cut it into little pieces right in front of them, and threw them out of his shop. In this instance, we're talking a simple board with a name carved into it vs. an extremely detailed ski scene surrounded with trees, three-dimensional banners on the top and bottom, and 23k gold leaf. All of which had to be carved, then prepped, then painted and sealed - all by hand.

Part of nearly every job I've ever had has been scheduling, time management, and prioritizing, and I'm telling you - even in a small company - rushing every job out the door as quickly as possible is bad business because it will bite you where it hurts every time. The smart thing to do - which is my personal policy - is to promise a completion date that allows time for things to go wrong, and then deliver early when nothing does.

lazyboy97o

So yes, Uni does get stuff done fast, but in the past few openings, things weren’t finished. At one point they had 2 crews for 5 projects on property. Disney has their own and outsources, Universal goes outsources.
Buena Vista Construction Company is not involved in many of the large construction projects. They tend to work on smaller projects and they have to compete for their jobs same as the third party companies.

Aries1975

ASAP isn't how most of the world works, though. There are timelines and production schedules that need to be considered for any industry. The "I want it now" attitude doesn't fly because you've got to consider materials availability, skill availability, quality control, etc. etc. And that doesn't even take into account if the industry being discussed depends on equipment that can possibly go down.

I've posted this story before, but its pertinent here, too...I was a full-time woodcarver and a customer was being a total jack-**** about the fact that their project wasn't as complete as another, much simpler project. Mind you, it was within a week or so of being completed - and it was going to be finished before the promised date, but that suddenly wasn't enough for them and they were harassing my boss about it in front of not only his entire workforce, but other clients as well. He brought their $1,000, hand-carved sign over to the band-saw, cut it into little pieces right in front of them, and threw them out of his shop. In this instance, we're talking a simple board with a name carved into it vs. an extremely detailed ski scene surrounded with trees, three-dimensional banners on the top and bottom, and 23k gold leaf. All of which had to be carved, then prepped, then painted and sealed - all by hand.

Part of nearly every job I've ever had has been scheduling, time management, and prioritizing, and I'm telling you - even in a small company - rushing every job out the door as quickly as possible is bad business because it will bite you where it hurts every time. The smart thing to do - which is my personal policy - is to promise a completion date that allows time for things to go wrong, and then deliver early when nothing does.

You are absolutely correct. I never want to be in the position of explaining why my project is behind schedule. I do not make promises I cannot keep.

As a consumer, I would rather be pleasantly surprised by a product with standard shipping arriving early than disappointed that even with expedited shipping a gift missed a birthday or Christmas.

No Name

Because it comes off to me as putting in half effort.

If someone tells me they’re going to build a baseball stadium in 6 years (vs the guesstimated average of 3), it would annoy me. Because it could be done in 3. They’re not focused on getting the product to the fans in the shortest timeframe possible... that just doesn’t sit well with me.

My companies all involve shipping hardware and delivering solutions as soon as possible. Yes, that’s far more simplified... but to me it’s all a similar concept. If I told my customers it was going to take two weeks to get them what they need when they know they COULD have it tomorrow (at my extra expense of putting it on a plane or what have you), they’d be ticked. Again... I understand there are far more moving parts with what Disney does. But if their competitor down the street calls me and tells me they can deliver a similar product in far less time, they’re getting my money. I’m not blinded by the brand name or reputation. Just like my customers shouldn’t be by mine.

Disney’s not trying to get Tron to fans in the shortest timeframe possible, because from a marketing standpoint, it doesn’t make sense to open it before 2021. The marketing element makes this completely different from the delivery business you describe. Do I personally wish Tron opened sooner? Absolutely. Do I think that would be wise for the company? Absolutely not. And I often want to see investments succeed because it encourages future investment.

That’s why I’m not unhappy, and neither should you be. But alas, we disagree, and we’re starting to go in circles.

Lastly, I’m not “blinded by the brand name,” and if you think that, you‘ve clearly missed my point and haven’t read many of my posts on this site.

lazyboy97o

Disney’s not trying to get Tron to fans in the shortest timeframe possible, because from a marketing standpoint, it doesn’t make sense to open it before 2021. The marketing element makes this completely different from the delivery business you describe. Do I personally wish Tron opened sooner? Absolutely. Do I think that would be wise for the company? Absolutely not. And I often want to see investments succeed because it encourages future investment.
But TRON is being built in a very reasonable amount of time. It’s not a slow project and it’s not being dragged out to make 2021. It’s the closest thing to a rush at Walt Disney World in a long time.

No Name

But TRON is being built in a very reasonable amount of time. It’s not a slow project and it’s not being dragged out to make 2021. It’s the closest thing to a rush at Walt Disney World in a long time.

Oh I don’t disagree. I’m admittedly not as knowledgeable as to how long a project like Tron should take, but I believe you. My point is simply that, even if it were hypothetically reasonable to build Tron faster, Disney wouldn’t choose to do so. Even if the whole project was hypothetically started earlier, they’d still finish in 2021 because that’s when they want it finished.

We are arguing separate things. Ironically we were both falsely painted as Disney defenders (“rose colored glasses”, “blinded by the brand name”).

FigmentFan82

*Bothans

Buried20KLeague

That’s why I’m not unhappy, and neither should you be. But alas, we disagree, and we’re starting to go in circles.

Lastly, I’m not “blinded by the brand name,” and if you think that, you‘ve clearly missed my point and haven’t read many of my posts on this site.

To be clear, I wasn't at all saying you're blinded by the brand name. I was using that as an example, and not directing it at you. I've read plenty of what you've written here and we usually see eye to eye. We just disagree on this, as we've both now said.

I also used the wrong analogy with the "rose colord glasses" in my post to @lazyboy97o . I meant something more like we were viewing it through a different prism. Not that one was good or bad... But that they were clearly different.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom