News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Tron coaster AND Tron speedway? I don't like that. I get the "ease" of doing a glow in the dark overlay on the speedway, but 2 separate rides sharing the same mediocre IP, well that doesn't make any sense. Even for the current value centric, IP crazed imagineers. We're not talking Star Wars or Avatar here.. We're talking Tron, which only really lives on thru nostalgia and the lackluster sequel. There's not enough there.. if that makes sense.
And that is your opinion. Many like myself found the sequel and franchise as a whole a fantastic one, I for can't wait for them to extend that in Orlando. I am however surprised (delightedly) that they chose this IP, since the 3rd installment has stalled with no real progress to filming start date.

trainplane3

I wonder if they plan on digging up the old Tron costumes for the character department. They were predictably off-putting. I tried to google an image of them. But the only place I've seen them was in the big character book in wardrobe next to the zoo.
I'd welcome some Tron M&Gs in the area. Who wouldn't want to meet a Siren?
652898ad09c22c10bc930bd9c22ab60e.jpg

I actually hope this brings Tron out into the open more so we're not stuck waiting 30 years for the next movie. They may not be the greatest movies out there, but they're fun enough and usually push the CGI at the time pretty far. Besides, the whole aesthetic is just awesome.

Professortango1

Define dead? And I also go around that time and it has NEVER been dead. It has been less crowded than say Christmas, but thats about it.

When we wait about 10 minutes for most attractions, I call it dead. I mean, we rode Everest a bunch of times in a row because there was no line. Walked onto Kilimanjaro Safaris, the Space Mountain line started at the queue games and half of the switchbacks were closed. When I'm used to waiting 60-75 minutes for Splash and Space Mountain and Disneyland, 10-15 minutes is pretty dead feeling.

rle4lunch

And that is your opinion. Many like myself found the sequel and franchise as a whole a fantastic one, I for can't wait for them to extend that in Orlando. I am however surprised (delightedly) that they chose this IP, since the 3rd installment has stalled with no real progress to filming start date.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tron as a whole and am excited to get the ride, I just didn't think it merits 2 rides.

A lot of why there hasn't been a 3rd movie is because of the mild response to the sequel. It's serviceable, but lacking the heart of the original (which isn't saying much). I had high hopes for Legacy, maybe too high.

Timothy_Q

When we wait about 10 minutes for most attractions, I call it dead. I mean, we rode Everest a bunch of times in a row because there was no line. Walked onto Kilimanjaro Safaris, the Space Mountain line started at the queue games and half of the switchbacks were closed. When I'm used to waiting 60-75 minutes for Splash and Space Mountain and Disneyland, 10-15 minutes is pretty dead feeling.
Disneyland has become unmanageable for most of the year.

It's a shame

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Tron coaster AND Tron speedway? I don't like that. I get the "ease" of doing a glow in the dark overlay on the speedway, but 2 separate rides sharing the same mediocre IP, well that doesn't make any sense. Even for the current value centric, IP crazed imagineers. We're not talking Star Wars or Avatar here.. We're talking Tron, which only really lives on thru nostalgia and the lackluster sequel. There's not enough there.. if that makes sense.

And yet, they made Cars Land work.

trainplane3

Everest has been pretty short for a while it seems (when I'm there, it always seems like a tops of 20 minutes). Space/Splash/Thunder are almost always an hour or more when I go. I usually switch it up too so I'm not going the same month every year. You must honestly time it extremely well. When are you going next? I'd like a good luck charm for the lines.

Professortango1

Everest has been pretty short for a while it seems (when I'm there, it always seems like a tops of 20 minutes). Space/Splash/Thunder are almost always an hour or more when I go. I usually switch it up too so I'm not going the same month every year. You must honestly time it extremely well. When are you going next? I'd like a good luck charm for the lines.

We'll probably head out late August of 2019.

Professortango1

Well, Cars lends itself to a land and scenery better than Tron. Plus, Radiator Springs works for both day and night. Tron doesn't work for me because it only really works at night. The ride interiors look cool, but the outdoor portion and sunlit concrete hallways/block building show how bad this concept works for daylight. I get MK needing a real coaster after the backlash Seven Dwarfs received, but an indoor dark coaster themed to a franchise which takes place in modern day being added right next to Space Mountain seems bad on many fronts. Hopefully this version will at least be longer than the original version as the indoor stuff does work.

rle4lunch

Yeah, but.... The Cars marketing and post sales of, well, everything Cars related is what propelled that land into existence. That's why I called out star wars and avatar. Star wars because it's star wars. Avatar, because they're making 19 more back to back. Tron in comparison has a cult following compared to those two, AND Cars land, so thanks for pointing that out.

Like I said, Tron is cool, I dig the style, glad to have a new friggin ride in mk, but... what this is signaling to me is that Disney is playing the long game and part 3 is gonna get greenlit. Hopefully it's a grand finale.

It's just good business.. EITC

Rosso11

Laugh all you want. We always visit in Summer around the end of August/beginning of September and the parks are dead.

That was traditionally one of the slowest times of the year which is why free food use to be offered then. Accordingly to Disney the busy summer season in Orlando ends the second week of August. Most schools down south are back open in the time period you are referring to. This has been a big reason disney keeps moving up the start of Food and Wine into what was traditionally the slow season.

Professortango1

I thought your problem with TRON was that it was a weak IP. I counter-exampled with Cars... a relatively weak franchise that not only has three rides but a whole land.

Now you're saying your problem with TRON is that it won't look good in daylight. If I find a counter-example of an IP which is only theoretically looks good at night but does actually also look good in the daylight, will you move the goalposts again?

Ummm, you're confusing your posters. I wasn't the one who said Tron was a weak IP. I mean, it IS weaker than Cars as Cars sells a bunch of merch and inspired 2 sequels and tons of shorts. I don't like the Cars franchise personally, but I can certainly see the IP is much stronger than a cult classic and a 2010 failed reboot.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ummm, you're confusing your posters. I wasn't the one who said Tron was a weak IP. I mean, it IS weaker than Cars as Cars sells a bunch of merch and inspired 2 sequels and tons of shorts. I don't like the Cars franchise personally, but I can certainly see the IP is much stronger than a cult classic and a 2010 failed reboot.

Oops. My apologies!!

Squishy

Still seems like WDW numbers are down. Sure, the parks are bigger and there's 4 of them vs 2, but I'd kill to have wait times like that at DLR. Aside from Frozen and Seven Dwarfs, everything was walk on to 10 minutes when we went.
They aren't really down, Some days this month it's been packed I'm guessing since spring break.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom