News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

Tron will be marketed as a Tomorrowland relaunch, and the main MK gift for the 50th.

Will be interesting to see how they market the relaunch. Some paint and Tron? Space Mountain needs a proper overhaul. Stitch is seasonal and it's replacement seemingly in permanent limbo, Buzz is dirty and needs a refurb and Monster's, while good, is totally out of place. But kudos to them for calling it a relaunch.

And the bold is a real, real, shame. I have no problem with TRON coming but it's not really the answer ...

UpAllNight

I actually already really like Tomorrowland, but I’m glad it’s getting some attention. I think it deserves a major new E-Ticket, and I believe Disney are a few coasters short of what they should maybe have across 4 parks. For that reason, Tron next to Space Mountain doesn’t really bother me.

I’m also hopeful the funding stretches to bringing Tomorowland Speedway a more appropriate look, as that corridor is the weakest part of MK.

The aesthetic of Tomorrowland does need a refresh, but I prefer it to Paris’ alternative version, and by all accounts Disneylands has suffered some poor decisions (I’ll find out this August..can’t wait!). From images, Shanghai looks too sterile, and Hong Kong is about to go through a major identity crisis where it’s half ripped out for Marvel. For that reason I think we’re actually doing ok on the Tomorrowland front.

I do like Laugh Floor, but I hope something more appropriate is added, and they really need to use the Stitch space. I’d like some better dining options in the land...as old school as it is, an elevated rotating restaurant would be great, especially on the evening, and would provide both views and some much needed kinetic energy. Remove the dance stage, build a properly themed indoor meet and greet space if required.

As much as I look forward to the relaunch, I hope their changes warrant such a title.

If they do it right they can rightly focus future attention towards Adventureland, where they’ll hopefully inject some....Adventure

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ahhh...the "50th"...the sacred cow of Disneyland fans and the hopeful die hards.

(I just don't think they care in Orlando...considering the place is packed, it's a waste of money for that. Longterm planning just happens to coincide with the calendar here)
There’s actually a pot to be shared between the four parks for celebration stuff. It’ll be a marketing dream. And not to be confused with any capex for attractions should they open in 2021-2.

You can actually get quite a lot of banners and pendants for xx million.

rle4lunch

Tron coaster AND Tron speedway? I don't like that. I get the "ease" of doing a glow in the dark overlay on the speedway, but 2 separate rides sharing the same mediocre IP, well that doesn't make any sense. Even for the current value centric, IP crazed imagineers. We're not talking Star Wars or Avatar here.. We're talking Tron, which only really lives on thru nostalgia and the lackluster sequel. There's not enough there.. if that makes sense.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Tron coaster AND Tron speedway? I don't like that. I get the "ease" of doing a glow in the dark overlay on the speedway, but 2 separate rides sharing the same mediocre IP, well that doesn't make any sense. Even for the current value centric, IP crazed imagineers. We're not talking Star Wars or Avatar here.. We're talking Tron, which only really lives on thru nostalgia and the lackluster sequel. There's not enough there.. if that makes sense.
That’s the plan. Has been for two years now.

HauntedMansionFLA

I thought it was just getting a TL upgrade, not a full fledged Tron 2nd attraction. What are drivers going to do, slowly meander around the grid?
It would come down to presentation of the theme. It would look great if done properly regardless of how it did in the box office. I really like the Lone Ranger and could fit into another part of the park but people are a bit Leary after how it did in the box office.

Professortango1

Ahhh...the "50th"...the sacred cow of Disneyland fans and the hopeful die hards.

(I just don't think they care in Orlando...considering the place is packed, it's a waste of money for that. Longterm planning just happens to coincide with the calendar here)

I think you have it reversed. Disneyland is constantly packed. Whenever I go to Disney World, we walk on just about every attraction. And that's in Summer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought it was just getting a TL upgrade, not a full fledged Tron 2nd attraction. What are drivers going to do, slowly meander around the grid?
I know. It doesn’t spring to mind. Best case are electric or hybrid cars and a more visually interesting track / scenery. Autopia at DLP does it quite well, the biggest issue in Orlando is the layout - it a a romantic Grand Prix layout, not a sci-fi future layout.

rle4lunch

If you really really think about it, how could the speedway NOT be Tron? The thing will go under and surround most of Tron, so it almost has to be blended in to maintain the appearance right?

I guess. If nothing else in TL will be unified into a cohesive theme, that area will. I guess the silver and blue repaint of the rest of the land will have to suffice as bringing TL together..:oops:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you have it reversed. Disneyland is constantly packed. Whenever I go to Disney World, we walk on just about every attraction. And that's in Summer.

Ummm...Disneyland is admittedly smaller...so it's pretty jammed.

But it's clientele is much more of the frequenter/local variety.

Wdw has much greater raw numbers and they come In larger and larger numbers out of the woodwork. The only time "marketing" matters is in recession. If you open it...they will come.

They havent had a "celebration" in bout 12 years in Orlando and it hasn't mattered at all...whereas the one they had in Anaheim 3 years ago really drove attendance.

Professortango1

Ummm...Disneyland is admittedly smaller...so it's pretty jammed.

But it's clientele is much more of the frequenter/local variety.

Wdw has much greater raw numbers and they come In larger and larger numbers out of the woodwork. The only time "marketing" matters is in recession. If you open it...they will come.

They havent had a "celebration" in bout 12 years in Orlando and it hasn't mattered at all...whereas the one they had in Anaheim 3 years ago really drove attendance.

Still seems like WDW numbers are down. Sure, the parks are bigger and there's 4 of them vs 2, but I'd kill to have wait times like that at DLR. Aside from Frozen and Seven Dwarfs, everything was walk on to 10 minutes when we went.

Now, I'll admit the clientele is different which is why Disneyland has more festivals, seasonal overlays and updates to classic attractions and effects to keep interest alive. WDW can get away with letting attractions sit with opening day tech as tourists are a different animal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom