News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Fox&Hound

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know if they ever considered for real putting this in Epcot in Future World? Seems like it would fix the redundancy some feel about Tron being so close to Space Mountain in MK. Not saying it is a perfect fit for Epcot but Disney seems to think that Tomorrowland and Future World are interchangeable....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know if they ever considered for real putting this in Epcot in Future World? Seems like it would fix the redundancy some feel about Tron being so close to Space Mountain in MK. Not saying it is a perfect fit for Epcot but Disney seems to think that Tomorrowland and Future World are interchangeable....
I wasn’t told directly it was but I heard a few things that would say yes.

trainplane3

Space Mountain Mission One from Paris?
Revenge of the Mummy?
I like how you specify Mission One. I never experienced either versions, but that looked superior.
Off topic but speaking of Mission One, someone completed the full recreation of it in No Limits. They seemed to have gone as detailed as you do with your videos but in simulator form.

Yes I recorded it due there not being a high quality, 60fps, 1080p+ version to do it justice on Youtube. Most videos of it are older, on a previous version of No Limits 2 which lacks the new lighting system. I have it unlisted so that the creators videos are picked up by everyone else. I do credit him fully in my unlisted video.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I like how you specify Mission One. I never experienced either versions, but that looked superior.
Off topic but speaking of Mission One, someone completed the full recreation of it in No Limits. They seemed to have gone as detailed as you do with your videos but in simulator form.

Yes I recorded it due there not being a high quality, 60fps, 1080p+ version to do it justice on Youtube. Most videos of it are older, on a previous version of No Limits 2 which lacks the new lighting system. I have it unlisted so that the creators videos are picked up by everyone else. I do credit him fully in my unlisted video.

I enjoyed mission two as well, but the original relied more on physical sets.

SteamboatJoe

there was one old plan that would have put a roller coaster on to Tom Sawyer Island think about how horrible that would’ve been logistically and sight wise

I think someone else at one point hinted that the now canceled Main Street theater had also been considered for Frontierland at one time as well.

Donaldfan1934

I am not a true Tron fan, but I still question Tron going into MK. Honestly, to me why would Tron not go to Epcot(yes I know you probably are not a fan of that either...) and move GotG to DHS where it fits better thematically. That would have been a much better outcome to me.
You have a great placement plan here, but I actually don't think the Tron coaster is needed at all since Epcot pretty much has a Tron ride with Test Track aesthetically speaking. As mentioned throughout the thread, there are so many better ways this money could've been spent.

larandtra

In a perfect world there are so many options that could/should and maybe were considered, not only for MK, but, for all the parks. What they have announced is what it seems they have settled on. I think there are huge missteps being made with GotG and Tron. Im good with Rat, Poppins, Star Wars, TSL. But, I think the powers that be missed the boat with some decisions and it will be interesting to see how things sort out when all is said and done. As someone who is used to working with large project budgets, for them to constantly go over in costs is a shame on them for not properly vetting the project and having a reasonable overage allowance in order to not effect other things. The reality is, for a company so concerned with numbers, the people they have calculating things on the front end are absolutely unqualified. Which is sad because in my dealings with some parts of management in the company, they are more realistic and give true numbers to those above, who constantly try to squeeze every drop and then end up undervaluing true costs, thus creating messes in their wake.

Kman101

I've long thought TRON should have been in Future World and Guardians in Tomorrowland .... not that TRON is technically any better than Guardians for Epcot I suppose but it feels more fitting there, TBH. Oh well. What do we know?

DinoInstitute

I've long thought TRON should have been in Future World and Guardians in Tomorrowland .... not that TRON is technically any better than Guardians for Epcot I suppose but it feels more fitting there, TBH. Oh well. What do we know?
I’d go one step farther- put the Tron Coaster in Epcot, the Guardians Coaster in DHS, and the rumored DHS Indy ride in MK. Seems so easy! :p

Nevertheless I’d be excited for Tron at any of those three, and it’s a welcome addition in my book.

Kman101

please...
i've yet to see evidence peter quill ever visited mk! have you?!
:rolleyes:

:p

:joyfull:
Tron won't get people into EPCOT the way GOTG will; I can imagine that was a big deciding factor.

Oh I have no doubts that was the deciding factor. But I think anything will be a draw. TRON will draw to MK, not massive levels, but anything new, especially a coaster, will draw. But I get why they put Guardians in Epcot. I just think they were better suited for the Sci-Fi Tomorrowland, but since we're getting that toned down I suppose. But then Buzz and Monsters seem to be remaining, soooo .... they can paint it all they want but it's still Sci Fi City. LOL

I’d go one step farther- put the Tron Coaster in Epcot, the Guardians Coaster in DHS, and the rumored DHS Indy ride in MK. Seems so easy! :p

Nevertheless I’d be excited for Tron at any of those three, and it’s a welcome addition in my book.

I don't necessarily think just because it was a movie Guardians 'belongs' in DHS but I get the idea. DHS could better benefit from a boat ride though than the MK, that's why I stick with Indy in DHS, though Adventureland would be great and I wouldn't complain but I think DHS needs it more, although they can always cling to the stunt show for another three decades ... lol and then MK can get Indy but if it's not DHS it sounds like Indy would go to AK so DHS it is ....

Either way all three could work in various places, lol

Maddie Terwilliger

I saw on YouTube that construction for Tron behind Space Mountain has already begun and you can kinda see it from the People Mover? Currently it looks like just trucks clearing out trees. I was actually very surprised... isn't it set to open in 2021? Does it take that long to build an indoor coaster?

trainplane3

I saw on YouTube that construction for Tron behind Space Mountain has already begun and you can kinda see it from the People Mover? Currently it looks like just trucks clearing out trees. I was actually very surprised... isn't it set to open in 2021? Does it take that long to build an indoor coaster?
For most parks, no. But Disney spreads spending out across multiple quarters/years, so we get slower construction on most projects.

smile

fyi, tron should be referred to as an enclosed coaster -
the subtle difference being an indoor coaster is purpose built to go inside a particular building not directly related, whereas an enclosed coaster is inside a building specifically built to enclose the coaster itself

XLAyJ.gif

and yes/no - wdi coasters take similar timeframes to open, for various reasons...
however, those timeframes are generally far longer than any other company on the planet.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom