Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Swissmiss

Premium Member
My understanding is that the most critical period of disruption for the construction sector in France due to COVID-19 was the two-month span during the first lockdown from mid-March to mid-May 2020. Post this period, while there were ongoing challenges and adjustments, construction sites were generally able to operate under new health protocols. Definitely far from ideal and highly restrictive resulting in major delays. Though monetary reasons - limiting costs to stabilize the balance sheet - might have played an at least equal if not more significant role in the expansion delays.

The long delivery delays in nearly every sector shouldn‘t be discounted, so while they may have had a crew available to work they might not have had the necessary materials.

mrflo

The long delivery delays in nearly every sector shouldn‘t be discounted, so while they may have had a crew available to work they might not have had the necessary materials.
Very good point. We also saw this with Europa-Park delaying the opening of their new coaster Voltron by one year due to electronic parts not being available - despite owning the ride's manufacturer. The impact of Covid on supply chains or even staffing can be still seen today.

I would say TWDC was still driving a more conservative strategy during Covid by significantly scaling back its investments in theme parks compared to - for example - Universal resulting in additional project delays or even cancelations. While Disney would not officially admit that they have to catch up again, those Turbocharge Growth plans clearly seem to aim in that direction.

Less than three weeks till D23. It better not disappoint! :D

cjkeating

Though monetary reasons - limiting costs to stabilize the balance sheet - might have played an at least equal if not more significant role in the expansion delays.
I think we all need remember it was a TWDC decision to delay the WDSP expansion due to poor cash flow during COVID not DLP delaying it for fun or incompetence.

Could they speed up the construction if they wanted? To an extent sure. But what do they need? More money. And of course up unto the last few months the TWDC has been doing all it can to stem the Disney+ losses.

It's just unfortunate the WDSP expansion got caught up in two major financial events at TWDC.

BrianLo

I can see it chomping at DCA in a year or so. Should it get a unique E ticket definitely.

I hadn't really considered that DCA had fallen so low, but I guess it has. I just got fixated on the best park and one of the worst parks were moving in lockstep with one another (Galaxies Edge, MMRR) and the only thing to break the tie was Toy Story Land... but DHS has come out largely positively received as of late.

Now all of that said, DCA is on the cusp of getting its actual second 'show-stopper' land in Pandora and DAW still really doesn't have one. Plus that Avengers E-ticket. As lovely as all the parts I think are going to be, DAW has a lot more work to do.

Dining is a big one in my eyes, DCA is miles ahead still.

Jordan dby

there was also a story that they were under investigation for how they reported their PNLs internationally (Paris losses offset other parks as France is a high tax country), so would be needing to react to that.

also - whilst i fully agree DAW needs something and ive watched my girls go from dead excited to outgrow Frozen somewhat... the fact is since Covid prices have gone up (discounts removed) and the parks have still been full. it is hard to commercially justify that they needed to spend more to do it quicker.

i believe those days are ending, partly because this has been a 3 year covid rebound, partly because guest satisfaction isnt that high and now because general economic situation is worsening on most places. i live near alton towers and would regularly go pre covid for £15, since covid I couldn't get a ticket for less than £45 (often £60) and last week they emailed me offering them for £20 every day in the summer holidays. like Disneyland for the last 2 years they couldnt charge enough to deter customers (bar me apparently!)

so in conclusion yeah i think frozen will be ready at the time disney needs it, it may be the difference between maintaining today's prices and the '40% off + free dining' deal i got in 2019 which I'm very glad i took advantage of.

mickEblu

I hadn't really considered that DCA had fallen so low, but I guess it has. I just got fixated on the best park and one of the worst parks were moving in lockstep with one another (Galaxies Edge, MMRR) and the only thing to break the tie was Toy Story Land... but DHS has come out largely positively received as of late.

Now all of that said, DCA is on the cusp of getting its actual second 'show-stopper' land in Pandora and DAW still really doesn't have one. Plus that Avengers E-ticket. As lovely as all the parts I think are going to be, DAW has a lot more work to do.

Dining is a big one in my eyes, DCA is miles ahead still.

I agree that DCA has been trending down since 2017 but do most people have DHS ahead of DCA? The E tickets at the top of the attraction roster are pretty comparable. Then DCA has a lot more rides (mostly but not limited to flat rides) so maybe you call it a wash because DHS has the shows. It also has an exclusive world class land in Cars Land and the beautiful Grizzly Peak with the Grand Californian. And a water ride! Haha. Seems to me that DCA has it beat.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It would open up the park, avoiding the dead ends there are now.
And Frozen would be far enough along to cause excitement perhaps.
Assuming the paving project is complete (which it should be) this would be the main reason for half opening. Plus if the lake and Frozenville is visible it’s free advertising.

Last edited:

cjkeating

Surely Tangled and the Walkways would be too underwhelming to open without Frozen? Feels like it would just highlight Frozen isn't open yet 😂😂
Adventure Way would allow the park to no longer be U shaped with it connecting to Campus and TSPL allowing guests not have to double back each time. It would also be a 'new' offering with Tangled and some streetmosphere in the 'English Garden' and a big opportunity to tease the lake/Frozen 'coming soon'

At worst it better than what's currently there. Don't forget Studio 1 will be reopening around then which allows you to have the full entry sequence of Studio 1 opening onto Adventure Way.

mrflo

Some of my thoughts about the DCA comparison.

I've visited DCA both in 2011 and last summer - last time staying at the Grand Californian Hotel. While there's been some progress and changes in the park's development since 2011, I still wouldn't consider it one of my favorite Disney parks, as it has its flaws. I agree that the theme can feel a bit diluted with various IPs, leading to less thematic coherence.

However, DCA still does offer some elements that I find more in line with what I'd expect from a Disney park compared to WDS. The kinetic & immersive energy in DCA is more present, with features like Grizzly Peak and its waterfalls, the tram & streetmosphere in Hollywood Land, and the vibrant Radiator Springs Racers. These elements contribute to a dynamic atmosphere that is somewhat lacking in WDS and can't be just solved by themed carnival rides. Hopefully, future lands like LK or Pandora will help to fix this.

Additionally, DCA provides a broader experience beyond just rides & shows, with areas like the Animation exhibition and Redwood Creek Challenge Trail offering more to explore and discover. This sense of exploration is a key aspect of Disney parks that DCA currently captures better than WDS, even despite having "Adventure" as part of its future name. (Not just) kids love those interactive playgrounds and they should definitely add some to WDS/DAW.

One aspect I particularly appreciate is the nod to Walt Disney's legacy. In DCA, there are subtle references to Walt's arrival in California and the beginnings of his studio, especially in the entrance area. I hope that as Walt Disney Studios transitions to Disney Adventure World, they continue to honor Walt's legacy with some references, and not just by having the Partners statue. It would be great to see some of the heart and soul that reflects Walt Disney's influence, even if the park's name changes. How about “Walt Disney Presents” moving into the Animation building?

Lastly, I also enjoyed the food options at DCA which are quite diverse & fun. I hope they would add something themed like the Lamplight Lounge to the Pixar area in Paris as well. The new lake restaurant in DAW looks nice. Though another Disney Royal dining experience... :rolleyes:

LondonTom

I love DCA, maybe its an age thing and being childless? but it might genuinely be my favourite Disney park just to exist in and enjoy 😂 The Bars/Restaurants add to it when you don't want to run around just doing rides all day, basically the "vibes" park and then yeah Grizzly Peak/Cars Land and even Avengers Campus while they have the characters out (believe a few have been cut) provide a lot of fun in between the vibes. (Really just needs to bring back Rogers the Musical or Frozen in the Hyperion)

I don't think WDSP(ick DAW) is that far off in providing that sort of experience, especially when the lake does open. If they can get a Lamplight Longue and Carthay Circle equivalent in, that feels slightly more "grown-up". You kind of get it when they have the Gourmand chalets out but some more nice indoor/outdoor seating would work wonders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom