Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

nickys

Premium Member
I’m aware. But if they really wanted it open by the Olympics they could have. Covid is just an easy thing to shift the blame.
As far as I remember. Since Covid though they completely re-thought the WDS expansion. The plans had been for two full lands open in time for the Olympics, which was 5 years away when they announced it.

Frozen stayed but Galaxy’s Edge was cut. (And that’s the reason I remember - I was so excited for GE to come to DLP).

In under a year, everything shut down. Construction was banned. What DLP did do using their own staff was a lot of maintenance, touching up, repainting, gardening.

Once they re-opened, Avenger’s Campus was the focus, whilst they rethought the lake expansion.

That said, that was 2 years ago. So I don’t disagree with you entirely.

UpAllNight

I really want to love all the work going on at Studios but for the gain of 1 ride and a spinner it’s all just so underwhelming. I don’t think this work would be enough for me to book a trip, but I think the great work they’re continuing to do around entertainment and events could pull me in again.

Hoping there’s some serious announcements for both parks next month.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I really want to love all the work going on at Studios but for the gain of 1 ride and a spinner it’s all just so underwhelming. I don’t think this work would be enough for me to book a trip, but I think the great work they’re continuing to do around entertainment and events could pull me in again.

I’m as critical but am expecting a night show from day one.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My timelines have been thrown by the disjointed Covid timing of the 30th, but are we also expecting a big 35th celebration? They smashed the 30th, it was brilliant. Almost makes the 40th unmissable already.
I don’t think Paris has been huge recently with mid years. Or maybe the 30th was just huge. The 40th will certainly be something to follow !

J4546

im also a bit underwhelmed. but after this is done, while it will still be the worst disney park, at least it wont be objectively a bad park anymore. Hopefully they announce another expansion soon. Im hopeful they make 5 distinct lands around the lake, kinda like epcot pavilions, each with their own major ride.

Gusey

With these really long projects, it's worth remembering that they are opening in phases. Avengers Campus replacing Backlot was phase 1 and an improvement on what was there before (Webslingers vs Armegeddon) Frozen, the lake and World Premiere are phase 2, doubling the size of the park, phase 3 was Star Wars and is now rumoured to be Lion King. Once phase 3 is done, we can really see whether the whole expansion project was worth it. Just hope Lion King doesn't take long to open

mrflo

The WDS expansion - from what is already announced/under construction - feels like a decorated table with some appetizers but lacking an actual main course. At least for this phase I am also putting lots of hope into the lake show.

My main hope for this year's & future D23 is that DLP will finally get into a pattern/cycle of having a major attraction at least every other year. In an ideal world Disneyland Parc would have already gotten a new ride in the time between Avengers Campus & Frozen. So for the coming years, it would be great for them to start construction on whatever major comes after Frozen within the next 12 months to be ready for a potential opening by 2027. I think we probably all agree that one additional high-quality e-ticket attraction is the minimum that is necessary for each of the DLP parks within the next 3-4 years.

Regarding DCA having become a hodgepodge dumping ground for random IPs - isn't that what Disney Adventure World is supposed to become as well? By the time Lion King opens in DAW, DCA might have already added new attractions (e.g. Pandora or Avengers ride).

Regarding the 35th anniversary, I hope by 2027 they have actual new attractions as a story for their Marketing campaigns. If they really want to celebrate something major, they should go big with Mickey's & Minnie's 100th anniversary in 2028/2029.

UpAllNight

With these really long projects, it's worth remembering that they are opening in phases. Avengers Campus replacing Backlot was phase 1 and an improvement on what was there before (Webslingers vs Armegeddon) Frozen, the lake and World Premiere are phase 2, doubling the size of the park, phase 3 was Star Wars and is now rumoured to be Lion King. Once phase 3 is done, we can really see whether the whole expansion project was worth it. Just hope Lion King doesn't take long to open

I think Avengers Campus has been a nice addition but again lacked substance as it was a reskinned coaster & what I consider to be the single worst Disney ride ever created. Ok, there are levels, but Disney spent big on web swingers and it’s their biggest miss ever. I don’t think I’ve ever come off a Disney ride and said I’ll gladly never go on it again.

Animaniac93-98

HKDL's version of World of Frozen has some live entertainment (musical performers, troll puppets) that I'd like to see in DLP's version will too.

Beyond the attractions, shows and restaurants that are confirmed as part of this phase, I'm hoping for additional things like that.

LondonTom

I think if they had been a bit braver to continue work on the expansion during Covid, along with not cancelling Star Wars in relative silence (with either it or Lion King currently being built) and had Frozen already open (along with Production Courtyard changes). It would feel a lot less underwhelming and a more exciting future on the horizon just because the resort would feel more "complete" and anything new announced next month would feel more like proper expansions instead of just fixing the park.

nickys

Premium Member
I think if they had been a bit braver to continue work on the expansion during Covid, along with not cancelling Star Wars in relative silence (with either it or Lion King currently being built) and had Frozen already open (along with Production Courtyard changes). It would feel a lot less underwhelming and a more exciting future on the horizon just because the resort would feel more "complete" and anything new announced next month would feel more like proper expansions instead of just fixing the park.
They weren’t allowed to continue the construction during Covid. Lockdown meant lockdown of anything deemed non-essential.

mrflo

My understanding is that the most critical period of disruption for the construction sector in France due to COVID-19 was the two-month span during the first lockdown from mid-March to mid-May 2020. Post this period, while there were ongoing challenges and adjustments, construction sites were generally able to operate under new health protocols. Definitely far from ideal and highly restrictive resulting in major delays. Though monetary reasons - limiting costs to stabilize the balance sheet - might have played an at least equal if not more significant role in the expansion delays.

Gusey

I think Avengers Campus has been a nice addition but again lacked substance as it was a reskinned coaster & what I consider to be the single worst Disney ride ever created. Ok, there are levels, but Disney spent big on web swingers and it’s their biggest miss ever. I don’t think I’ve ever come off a Disney ride and said I’ll gladly never go on it again.
I enjoyed Web Slingers, and it's definitely a lot better than Armageddon was (you just stood in a room and saw a fireball). Unlike DCA, it's also the only shooter style attraction in DAW, so you don't have the direct comparison to Toy Story Mania like you do in DCA

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom