Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

mrflo

The Avatar thing for DL seems to be an exhibit.
The Avatar: The Experience exhibit from Singapore is now closed. Not sure if another destination is scheduled next. If not, they can easily ship that to DLR within a few weeks and have it open by spring. I think there are also empty soundstages left in DCA with enough space for it. So if Disney is really going just for the exhibition option in DLR, not sure what's the holdup after announcing it a year ago. Was Bob Iger just desperate for something to announce?

Personally I still hope - if this happens - that it will be just a temporary solution to bridge the time until a full Avatar attraction is built. At least from the videos The Experience in Singapore looked quite fun. I would not even mind having a copy for WDS as a placeholder for now.

cjkeating

I hope not. The announcement was Avatar “experience”. Not attraction or land. That would be really bad for DLP
A clone of the most well received WDI land since Carsland would be really bad for DLP? I don’t think so. The general public love flying theatres and I am sure FOP would do really well in Europe. Both rides have very little need for spoken language either. Plus both Avatars did exceptionally well in France.
So if Disney is really going just for the exhibition option in DLR, not sure what's the holdup after announcing it a year ago.
I was convinced it was an “experience” when Bob first announced it but what would take so long to ship over the exhibition from Asia? Also he spoke about it again months later saying it would be “on a par” with Animal Kingdom which threw me off even further.

Jordan dby

Paris desperately needs a flying theatre, and that is an excellent point on languages. Not a huge avatar fan but you have sold it to me better than anyone else so far.

My main concern is the aesthetics of having it on a lake next to Arandelle, it feels like something that needs to be walked towards on a narrow path, in a corner of a park, and then opens out. Like Pandora in florida or GE in cali, you wouldn't know those lands are there until you get to them, when you are there you are immersed (and you would forget the rest of the park). In epcot pavilions, you don't forget the other pavilions- you can see all of them across the lake.

While Im here Paris also needs some more family coasters. We go next month and BTM is down for a refurb, there is nothing under 1.1m at all. Even at that height there is just crush which is always a 1hr+ queue, and then it is 1.2m+. That's pretty weak.

nickys

Premium Member
A clone of the most well received WDI land since Carsland would be really bad for DLP? I don’t think so. The general public love flying theatres and I am sure FOP would do really well in Europe. Both rides have very little need for spoken language either. Plus both Avatars did exceptionally well in France.
Pretty sure he meant that an “experience” would be bad for DLP. Not that a land would be bad.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

The Avatar thing for DL seems to be an exhibit. Too many are getting excited it’s FoP or similar.

I’m still holding out for Avengers. The HK government are asking pretty stern questions about where their money went which could have ramifications elsewhere.
A D23 Expo article said this Avatar "experience" coming to Disneyland will be "as amazing" as the one at AK. I think the reason why they are referring to this as an experience and not a land is because they don't want to freak Anaheim out and cause that to risk derailing all of Disneyland Forward.

yensidtlaw1969

They’re not going to say “it’s not as good” now are they?

"Today the Disney Parks Blog is disappointed to share a middling update about the new Avatar Experience coming to the Disneyland Resort! Since the ambitious plans for PANDORA: The World of Avatar™️ were met with thrilling success, our Imagineers have been hard at work to deliver a much more budget-conscious alternative for our paying guests in Anaheim. Be sure to check back for updates on this decidedly less-interesting project, coming fittingly to Disney California Adventure sometime in the mid-to-distant future!"

TheDisneyParksfanC8

They’re not going to say “it’s not as good” now are they?
Disney YouTuber OrangeGrove55 pointed out that fact that Iger brought it (the Avatar "Experience") up at a shareholder meeting, it has to be bigger that an exhibit because why would you announce something that small at a shareholder meeting? That's not usually the place to do it. Shareholder meetings are for big ticket items.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disney YouTuber OrangeGrove55 pointed out that fact that Iger brought it (the Avatar "Experience") up at a shareholder meeting, it has to be bigger that an exhibit because why would you announce something that small at a shareholder meeting? That's not usually the place to do it. Shareholder meetings are for big ticket items.
Let’s wait and see then.

Mike S

Because Avatar 2 made 2 billion dollars and investors don’t pay enough attention to the parks to care. All they heard was “Avatar.”

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Your faith in what Iger said during a shareholder meeting is misplaced. Others who I trust far more seem to have a more realistic idea of what is potentially going in at DL, and a ride does not seem to be in the cards.

And shareholders don't care about details, they care about how much money they can extract from CEO's and, thus, from consumers.

Indy_UK

From the guy who brought you... The NBA 'Experience'

denyuntilcaught

That wasn't the point being made. It was that everything Iger touched got ruined. Forgetting the past decade.
That actually wasn't my point either, I would never be so reductive lol.

My point was more so about the IP pipeline from studios to parks being mismanaged. For every Pandora and Cars, there's a Galaxy's Edge and Avengers Campus. And now DLR gets merely an exhibit for what constitutes 2 of the top 5 films of all time? Doesn't make sense to me in the slightest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom