Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

cookiee_munster

This has been shared by members on a French fan forum and X. It is a more recent satellite image of DLP (2023) including the WDS expansion.

HERE WeGo: WDS expansion satellite image
That is going to be one long walk to get to the Frozen expansion once it opens (with nothing much to do along the way) let's hope the plans for the expansion pads are settled and green lit sooner rather than later.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Works on iPad safari fine, it’s worth looking at the real one to zoom in and move around the whole resort though.

IMG_1167.jpeg

BrianLo

So my dates might be off slightly but I did a quick Google to try and get them correct.

The Hong Kong E-Ticket was originally announced (as the last phase of their expansion) in 2016. As it stands it's currently seemingly dead in the water. I think originally it was believed to be a unique attraction to the park, it was then assumed it would be a clone of the DCA announced project (more on that below) before becoming a rumoured Tower of Terror. Currently the land is cleared (they closed Autopia years ago) but the land is just gathering dust with no rumours or anything on the horizon.

DCA meanwhile announced their E-ticket in 2019 after it was public knowledge that their Avengers Campus was opening with it as a 'Phase 2' as GOTG could to the heavy lifting. COVID then seemed to kill it before a new version was announced in D23 in 2022. It's now 2024 and there are again no signs of this breaking ground. Has this cooled again and the funds diverted to whatever the DL Avatar Experience is?

So as you can see assuming DLP was interested in having a cloned Marvel E-Ticket they have been caught in the middle of this debacle.

This can really just be added onto the long list of WDI projects that go through so many revisions it either never gets built or it takes 10 years to open.

It's definitely forgivable to have missed this, since I feel like I also just assume this attraction is DOA.

However, D'Amaro did reaffirm it and release another concept at Destination D23 (Sept 2023).

dlr_avengers_campus.jpg

I also agree this ride is completely hilarious to me and I look forward to hearing the actual story in a decade - but it seems like it is still a thing. A hopefully close thing? Especially since the Avatar Experience was first announced by Iger in February last year, the reaffirmation at Destination D23 doesn't cause me to think that project has supplanted it like everyone else jumped to.

But I too look forward to it being announced this upcoming August. Again

BrianLo

My best guess on the sequence of events with this Avengers Ride.

HKDL was originally slated to have an Avengers ride open in 2023. This was what was originally proposed to the government in 2016. It wasn't fully designed, but it was mostly to get budgeting approval for the eventual "e-ticket goes here" project. However, the funding approval for the project was pushed off from Legco (the local government) and this pushed off all the projects by about a year. In part they were in the midst of a lot of troubles around the protests. Disney acknowledged everything had shifted a year in terms of the castle (2019->2020) and Frozen (2020->21) timeframes. It didn't really mention the Avengers ride timeframe again, but that was so far out at the time.

We heard about various blue sky developments and iterations behind the scenes before the final attraction came together. That Cap coaster probably being fairly real as it jostled around Cosmic Rewinds development and/or Tron.

Ultimately over those three years of development, the Quinjet version of the attraction was announced for DCA in 2019. This seemed fairly advanced and fairly real. There were five pieces of concept art, one of the exterior for where the ride was being built next to the existing structure, one of the queue, one of ride vehicle while as a quinjet and two more pieces after the vehicles seemingly broke out of the Quinjet shell. To me this seems like something slated to start construction (maybe at both DCA and HKDL in 2020) for a 2024 opening timeframe. This feels about right, both with what was expected by Legco from their financing and for DL that had already announced MMRR, which would be the focus a year or two earlier from a marketing perspective.

Bob Chapek basically took the hammer to everything that wasn't started or desperately necessary with COVID. It seems the UK attraction, the Epcot table and Avengers attraction were those major things; along with WDSP's subsequent phases.

It then seems like Chapek reapproves some sort of necessary expenditure in time for D23 2022. UK remains cut, but the Epcot (highly modified) was required as they can't just leave a missing piece of the hub and Avengers projects are maybe required to re-budget and start over. The Avengers ride specifically because there is a commitment to their HK government partner to make it happen.

D'amaro desperately tries to put together a D23, with essentially nothing in the pipeline. So we get a very early announcement for the new Avengers ride in 2022. The trouble is that's not really explicit and we're all left wondering what is happening, despite it maybe being about 6 months into development generously when it was re-re-announced.

This is all a very hopeful way of saying I think this ride is real still. Because there is money that is not Disney's on the line. But it absolutely cannot reappear at this D23 without something firm and more hopefully active construction at one or more of its sites.

LondonTom

That is going to be one long walk to get to the Frozen expansion once it opens (with nothing much to do along the way) let's hope the plans for the expansion pads are settled and green lit sooner rather than later.
I am hoping it won't seem as bad apart from Rope Dropping Frozen as you will have the paths from Avengers and Pixar that are basically at the lagoon but hopefully, we get official word on those expansion pads sooner than later. (I guess we won't hear anything until D23 though, as they are going need all they can get together to pad it out).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My best guess on the sequence of events with this Avengers Ride.

HKDL was originally slated to have an Avengers ride open in 2023. This was what was originally proposed to the government in 2016. It wasn't fully designed, but it was mostly to get budgeting approval for the eventual "e-ticket goes here" project. However, the funding approval for the project was pushed off from Legco (the local government) and this pushed off all the projects by about a year. In part they were in the midst of a lot of troubles around the protests. Disney acknowledged everything had shifted a year in terms of the castle (2019->2020) and Frozen (2020->21) timeframes. It didn't really mention the Avengers ride timeframe again, but that was so far out at the time.

We heard about various blue sky developments and iterations behind the scenes before the final attraction came together. That Cap coaster probably being fairly real as it jostled around Cosmic Rewinds development and/or Tron.

Ultimately over those three years of development, the Quinjet version of the attraction was announced for DCA in 2019. This seemed fairly advanced and fairly real. There were five pieces of concept art, one of the exterior for where the ride was being built next to the existing structure, one of the queue, one of ride vehicle while as a quinjet and two more pieces after the vehicles seemingly broke out of the Quinjet shell. To me this seems like something slated to start construction (maybe at both DCA and HKDL in 2020) for a 2024 opening timeframe. This feels about right, both with what was expected by Legco from their financing and for DL that had already announced MMRR, which would be the focus a year or two earlier from a marketing perspective.

Bob Chapek basically took the hammer to everything that wasn't started or desperately necessary with COVID. It seems the UK attraction, the Epcot table and Avengers attraction were those major things; along with WDSP's subsequent phases.

It then seems like Chapek reapproves some sort of necessary expenditure in time for D23 2022. UK remains cut, but the Epcot (highly modified) was required as they can't just leave a missing piece of the hub and Avengers projects are maybe required to re-budget and start over. The Avengers ride specifically because there is a commitment to their HK government partner to make it happen.

D'amaro desperately tries to put together a D23, with essentially nothing in the pipeline. So we get a very early announcement for the new Avengers ride in 2022. The trouble is that's not really explicit and we're all left wondering what is happening, despite it maybe being about 6 months into development generously when it was re-re-announced.

This is all a very hopeful way of saying I think this ride is real still. Because there is money that is not Disney's on the line. But it absolutely cannot reappear at this D23 without something firm and more hopefully active construction at one or more of its sites.
Remember the DCA art was posted in HNYAOM in June 2021. It was removed 2 weeks later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom