Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Animaniac93-98

Funny story, there's a part of the ride where a moray eel pops out of a hole in a ship. You only see it from the left porthole, but if you're sitting there it jumps out pretty close to you. Startled me the first time, not knowing it was there. A second time a little kid was sitting in that bench and sure enough when mr eel showed it she SCREAMED, lol. WDI doesn't make 'em like they used to.

fradz

Having not actually ridden in person, I think the appeal for me comes from the combination of the IP, the ride system, the unique dry-for-wet approach, and out of my general love for charming little C-Ticket Dark Rides and undersea environments.

I have heard other people say they came away from it disappointed, so I'm not so shocked to hear you say that, though I wonder if it's one of those Na'vi River Journey situations where the expectations for the property and the wait time combine to raise hopes beyond what the ride was ever designed to exceed.

From videos online it does seem like the ride is good for what it is, it just doesn't aim to be a WDW 20K E-Ticket situation. Which, admittedly, I think we deserve from 20,000 Leagues.
I've ridden it twice and your assessment is accurate. It's a very fun ride, if you come with expectation similar to a fantasyland DR / C ticket then it's really a good surprise. Plus the environnement in which the ride is set is quite special. Imo it's a must ride, especially for a first timer and the wait times tend to be around 15-20 min which is fairly low. If you expect an E, you will be disappointed. Otherwise you will have a pleasant time

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I've ridden it twice and your assessment is accurate. It's a very fun ride, if you come with expectation similar to a fantasyland DR / C ticket then it's really a good surprise. Plus the environnement in which the ride is set is quite special. Imo it's a must ride, especially for a first timer and the wait times tend to be around 15-20 min which is fairly low. If you expect an E, you will be disappointed. Otherwise you will have a pleasant time
Ditto. 20,000 Leagues was my family's first ride in TDS and we found it overall pleasant (albeit slightly confusing due to the narration being only in Japanese). It's definitely not spectacular like Journey (which was temporarily closed for refurbishment when we went to TDS), but it was enough to whet our appetites for TDS attractions.

And it's definitely more pleasant that the original 20,000/Finding Nemo submarines at Disneyland. I remember someone describing it after we rode Finding Nemo as a hot and leaky petri dish.

mrflo

Anyone know what happened with all the flat rides that were supposedly coming to the new main street? Only Tangled survived?
The original concept art of the WDS expansion had one attraction that looked like Alien Swirling Saucers from TSL in WDW. This has now been replaced by the Tangled ride. I am not aware of any other flat ride that was planned. With Tangled and the already existing ones in the Pixar/TSL area there will be already six flat rides in the park. That's probably even that largest amount of flat rides in any Disney park - from a proportional perspective for sure.

Sir_Cliff

What really sucks is DSP, even after the Frozen land is built will only have like 3-4 big rides, 2 mid tier, and the rest small kids rides. Still a half day park.....
I think in terms of raw numbers WDSP is still a little light, but at least since Remy opened I think it actually has a pretty decent line-up of attractions. The problem has been more lack of a real connective tissue between them to make the park an appealing place to stay once you've gone on all the rides you want. Crush's Coaster also often has such a long queue that it's not worth doing unless you get there first thing in the morning.

I'm kind of curious how the park is going with the longer opening hours as I would imagine most people still try and get there first thing to get the chance to ride Crush and are then finished by around the middle of the day. I guess park hopping and the proximity to the hotels makes it easy for people to return if they want to see the drone show and maybe with Avenger's Campus the day is easier to fill. At any rate, booked a kind of last minute trip to go there in a few weeks, so am interested to see for myself!

J4546

With big rides they got

ToT - the smaller version as well I believe, not the much better FL version. I may be wrong

Iron Man Coaster - rethemed RnRc with meh reviews

Remy - a solid darkride that used to be exclusive but people call it a D ticket at Epcot

And in a couple years a Frozen Ride thats a clone of a 30 year old ride that's being built in what seems to be the weakest frozen land of the 3 currently being built.

Mid level rides they got

Crushes Coaster - seems to be the highlight of the park to a lot of people, looks cool and currently exclusive

Web Slingers - solid dark ride but they apparently didn't update the levels so your playing in California campus? Maybe I read wrong or it's been updated.

Maybe the rethemed cars thing could be considered mid tier?

Then it's just small spinners and little things.

Not a very solid lineup imo. No major exclusive rides. Every other park has major exclusive rides. Paris is getting screwed

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With big rides they got

ToT - the smaller version as well I believe, not the much better FL version. I may be wrong

Remy - a solid darkride that used to be exclusive but people call it a D ticket at Epcot

And in a couple years a Frozen Ride thats a clone of a 30 year old ride that's being built in what seems to be the weakest frozen land of the 3 currently being built.

Mid level rides they got

Crushes Coaster - seems to be the highlight of the park to a lot of people, looks cool and currently exclusive

Web Slingers - solid dark ride but they apparently didn't update the levels so your playing in California campus? Maybe I read wrong or it's been updated.

Not a very solid lineup imo. No major exclusive rides. Every other park has major exclusive rides. Paris is getting screwed
Mickey and the Magician?

Pixar : We Belong Together?

Frozen - a Musical Celebration?

Cars Road Trip?

Disney Junior Dream Factory?

Dining?

Theres another 3-4 hours at least.

No major exclusive rides
Flight Force? Tower of Terror? Road Trip? Plus 3 unique shows.

The park will still need work. I’m not defending that. But I went when it was a half day park and it’s much better now than it was. And will be again with the expansion and dedicated night show.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I think in terms of raw numbers WDSP is still a little light, but at least since Remy opened I think it actually has a pretty decent line-up of attractions. The problem has been more lack of a real connective tissue between them to make the park an appealing place to stay once you've gone on all the rides you want. Crush's Coaster also often has such a long queue that it's not worth doing unless you get there first thing in the morning.

WDSP has 11 rides right now and will have 13 when Frozen and Rapunzel's spinner open. Again, not including shows.

That's not really any worse than the WDW 2nd gates in basic numbers, but as you say it's the stuff in between that's lacking.

cjkeating

I remember going last time in 2017 and with the 10am-6pm hours that was not enough time to do all the rides and shows at the Studios.

I would imagine that is even more true now and in the future.
I agree. It might not be a full day park if you are a regular but for first or occasional visits there is more than enough to fill a day at WDSP. But it does need more high quality repeatable attractions.

fradz

It’s going in the right direction, but there’s still a lot of work, especially when you exit studio 1 and look on both sides. The park was nicknamed Hangarland up until recently on French forums…
It’s still at the bottom of the rankings for Disney Parks, but it has potential…

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
With big rides they got

Mid level rides they got

Spoken like someone who knows about the park only via YouTube videos, and that may be generous.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Spoken like someone who knows about the park only via YouTube videos, and that may be generous.
No idea if he's been or not, but as someone who's been there, it's still easily the worst Disney/Universal Park in the world by a mile.

It's an okay add-on now for Disneyland Parc Paris, whereas before, I mean if you're already there you might as well, but it felt more like a poorly themed land with a handful of good rides.

Once Frozen Land rolls around, it'll be a solid add-on for a Disneyland Parc Paris visit, but it still won't be able to hold its own in a great way, but the steps they have taken are working, and I'm very excited about the park's future, yet I can't help but stress how badly it needs another land after Frozen partly because of how little theming there is in the park already paired with Frozen: Ever After being a weak ride.

WDW was underfunded for decades until the expansion period from Pandora to TRON, yet the Orlando parks still need more; those additions were more like catching up to a standard they should be at rather than purely expansion.

You have to remember that WDS was starting from a significantly worse position than WDW.

I mean though, unless you're visiting Disneyland Parc, which is absolutely stunning in a way no other "Castle Park" can compete (albeit in need of a major new E-ticket), there's also Europa Park, Efteling, and Phantasialand in Europe that are all significantly better than WDS, so there's no legitimate good reason anyone would go just for WDS even after Frozen opens.

I view that as a good gauge of how good a park really is. Secondary parks can top main parks all the time. Islands of Adventure easily tops Universal Studios; DisneySea obviously tops Tokyo Disneyland as well, EPCOT tops MK for me with its two new modern rides, etc.

WDS was like an even worse version of how abysmal California Adventure was to Disneyland before Cars Land. Cars Land will be far superior to Frozen Land, so WDS is improving, but I can't help but think it still is in DLP's massive shadow until they get another land on top of it all.

Disney should be held to their original plan. My guess is they get a Pandora land on the Galaxy's Edge plot if the current round of investment is successful.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Once Frozen Land rolls around, it'll be a solid add-on for a Disneyland Parc Paris visit, but it still won't be able to hold its own in a great way, but the steps they have taken are working, and I'm very excited about the park's future. I can't help but stress how badly it needs another land after Frozen.

Frozen Land would be a bigger help if they weren't just cloning a poor C ticket as the headlining attraction.

FEA is in the bottom tier of attractions at WDW -- while it's not the worst, if you throw out flat rides/spinners there are only a few attractions behind it -- and they should have designed something new.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Frozen Land would be a bigger help if they weren't just cloning a poor C ticket as the headlining attraction.

FEA is in the bottom tier of attractions at WDW -- while it's not the worst, if you throw out flat rides/spinners there's only a few attractions behind it -- and they should have designed something new.
Which is exactly why WDS still needs another land to feel on par with where it should've been to begin with because it still won't even when the presently under construction areas are complete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom