Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Sir_Cliff

I’ve said it before, I welcome the additional physical space. I welcome a proper night show.

But the regular opening offerings are looking a bit lacklustre. C’mon Bob. Open your bonus pocket.
Definitely.

The park feels like it is coming into its own and getting to the point of being a worthy second gate. Particularly with its popularity apparently picking up, though, it still feels a bit light on attractions, and the addition of the lake and Frozen Ever After doesn't look like it will change that very much. Honestly, even a relatively quick addition of a true Avengers Campus e-ticket and a smaller attraction for Frozen land would do a lot to at least round out the themed lands they already have. It's still kind of amazing they have Marvel to work with and seem so timid about using it in the parks; all signs are Avengers Campus is very popular at the studios, but still very small.

cjkeating

It has been rumored and talked about for a while but it's now confirmed by OutsidEars: No Tiana QSR (budget cut), and this take-away counter the replacement:

When you say cut I don't remember ever seeing the Tiana QSR restaurant on any official blueprints that have been released? I feel like it was originally a plan like Alien Swirling Saucers but that all changed when the lake promenade theme was decided on? These kiosks have been on every blue print I remember seeing for a long time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Definitely.

The park feels like it is coming into its own and getting to the point of being a worthy second gate. Particularly with its popularity apparently picking up, though, it still feels a bit light on attractions, and the addition of the lake and Frozen Ever After doesn't look like it will change that very much. Honestly, even a relatively quick addition of a true Avengers Campus e-ticket and a smaller attraction for Frozen land would do a lot to at least round out the themed lands they already have. It's still kind of amazing they have Marvel to work with and seem so timid about using it in the parks; all signs are Avengers Campus is very popular at the studios, but still very small.
I’m still advocating for Rise. It would come with an environment to explore, requisite shops and eateries, but as an experience you get more bang for your buck - a good 20-30 minutes from first merge to exiting. Even without eating, this land could add an hour on the day - or 10% of the parks opening hours. Flight Force should’ve been a warning about doing it cheap.

Last edited:

fradz

When you say cut I don't remember ever seeing the Tiana QSR restaurant on any official blueprints that have been released? I feel like it was originally a plan like Alien Swirling Saucers but that all changed when the lake promenade theme was decided on? These kiosks have been on every blue print I remember seeing for a long time.
There was a plan on unreleased internal blueprints... But I don't think they were ever made public.

yensidtlaw1969

I’m still advocating for Rise. It would come with an environment to explore, requisite shops and eateries, but as an experience you get more bang for your buck - a good 20-30 minutes from first merge to exiting. Even without eating, this land could add an hour on the day - or 10% of the parks opening hours. Flight Force should’ve been a warning about doing it cheap.
It's wild to me the way Disney was so aggressive in the 90's/Early 2000's about building new parks, as if they didn't realize they would have to invest in all of them moving forward. Even parks that are healthily built out from opening day still require future investments to bring people back. How did they think Animal Kingdom, DCA, DSP, and Hong Kong were going to work? Cut the ribbon, collect the checks, and come back in a decade with a new toy?

21 years later and DSP is still completely underbuilt. Did they really think no one would notice? Do they think we don't notice now?

Timothy_Q

Complaining that the restaurant "lost" the PATF theme is so funny considering people always complain when Disney adds unnecessary IP to existing restaurants

Having 2 "neutral" art nouveau restaurants by the lake seems like a big positive to me, it gives the park a glimmer of personality and identity that its always lacked

cjkeating

Complaining that the restaurant "lost" the PATF theme is so funny considering people always complain when Disney adds unnecessary IP to existing restaurants

Having 2 "neutral" art nouveau restaurants by the lake seems like a big positive to me, it gives the park a glimmer of personality and identity that its always lacked
I agree. When was the last time WDI did a “land” that was a style as opposed to IP? I feel like people are so engrained into IP that if it isn’t a building based on a film it’s cheap or a bad choice.

Like you I’d rather have a style around the lake that acts as the portal to the different lands around the lake.

J4546

ilike the non IP themed new quick serve look as well. But overall im still pretty meh about all the work that going on, only getting 1 new ride when its all done in 2+ years. DSP need more than 1 ride mini lands around that lake

fradz

If you’re referring to me, I’m just stating that this space was allocated to something bigger than a snack and toilets. I’m not a fan of IP being shoved into the parks either…

LondonTom

I actually think Smugglers Run with a different mission (Maybe something Mando-verse related) would be the best better for a Paris Galaxy's Edge. That feeling of seeing the Falcon, and getting to go on board, first into the main hold/chess area and then the cockpit is just pure Star Wars.

I appreciate what they have done with Rise, its a technical marvel but apart from when you come out into the hangar after being boarded. I just didn't ever really get that same excitement and fully this is Star Wars feeling on it (but that could just be me, I need at least the life-size Falcon built 👀).

I think its less the theme, people are mad about and more that they are cutting back the proper QS location and the resort could do with more dining options. (Actually think the PATF theme did feel pretty shoehorned into this area, they should do it justice elsewhere.)

J4546

please god no star warrs land imo. we lready have 2, give paris something unique and spectacular because it needs it. Paris doesnt have any spectacular and exclusive e ticket rides

Markiewong

The thing is, most of these additions are things that WDS should've had at opening day. They are fixing the foundation by creating more greenery, the lake, back-of-the-house facilities, toilets, food etc. Its understandable that none of that is exciting and they should definitely add more attractions around the lake (which will come eventually). I am afraid its going to take another decade before WDS becomes up to standard with its neighbouring park. But I hope that after Frozen is done they are going to move to both the 3rd land and fix the foundation of the front half of the park.

Attraction lineup wise WDS is not that bad. Its doing better than most WDW parks, but there is nothing to explore around it.

LondonTom

For me the biggest issue in Paris would be the audio. How you assign multiple languages to each cabin if needed and also have it coherent ?
Ah thats a valid point. More of an issue for the CM to explain the basic controls I think? As I guess the ride could just alternate between English and French like the shows, using another character along with Hondo?

Or just drop the entire thing in Chewie mode 🤣🤣🤣

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Ah thats a valid point. More of an issue for the CM to explain the basic controls I think? As I guess the ride could just alternate between English and French like the shows, using another character along with Hondo?

Or just drop the entire thing in Chewie mode 🤣🤣🤣
Maybe for the pre-show, it could be both in French (Hondo) and English ("new" character) like in Flight Force. Then for the cockpits, they could install noise-canceling headsets that will be connected to the dashboards that have new dial switches that will prompt us on our language preference (French or English, maybe even other European languages as well, or Wookie if you want to) before we take off.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe for the pre-show, it could be both in French (Hondo) and English ("new" character) like in Flight Force. Then for the cockpits, they could install noise-canceling headsets that will be connected to the dashboards that have new dial switches that will prompt us on our language preference (French or English, maybe even other European languages as well, or Wookie if you want to) before we take off.
Worked for Le Visionarium. Might be a bit too much for the chaos of SR though?

But we’re getting ahead of ourselves a bit - we need uncle Bob to approve anything first. Skinflint.

cjkeating

Let's face it that just isn't going to happen. I think the language barrier causes enough problems in Florida where I've been in groups with Spanish and Japanese where they categorically had no idea what was going on. I died laughing at the back of the cockpit when the Japanese couple at the front had no idea they were meant to pilot so we hit everything the entire ride. 😂

UpAllNight

As an overall I think Paris misses a Dinosaur/Indiana Jones type dark ride, a Soarin/flight of Passage and some modern fantasyland dark rides

I think Pandora would fit WDS better, but I can’t see it with a new frozen boat ride and it needs more than 1 ride

I feel the loss of a Splash Mountain but after experiencing a Paris winter this week…I understand it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom