Toy Story Playland

Jrn14

Hmmmm I don’t really like this… I love amusement parks and I do enjoy a good flat ride… and to be honest I’d much rather have these three rides than ANOTHER spinner… (4 spinners on property is far too many)… It’s just like please strive for more… I wish they would do two SMALL dark rides and a flat ride or at least another dark ride and two flats… not all dark rides have to be The Haunted Mansion, but something on the level of say Pooh or Maelstrom … I mean that’s the difference between Disney and Cedar Point dark rides and unique rides.
Also everyone PLEASE stop bringing up the Carousel, Dumbo, Teacups etc… which were all brought on in the 70s when the MK was new… those are obviously a different case… there classics and they’re grandfathered in … And even if they were to get rid of the teacups or the carousel … there is nothing else that would fit in there. ..
In 2014 we don’t need another version of Dumbo..

Finally if they are going to do this I actually disagree with most of you and say it would be better themed all to one franchise… Whichever franchise they chose… but like imagine having an UP Ride, next to a Cars ride, next to a Wall*E ride… it would look cluttered and have no theme or consistency …As much as I would love to see some new franchises represented in the park… throwing a bunch of different themed flat rides into a small area is just going to look disjointed and cheap… (even more carnival like than if they stuck to one theme)

Kman101

There's a difference between attractions like Maters and paying $3 or whatever to throw a ball and win a stuffed animal. Chester and Hester's is a roadside carnival. Toy Story Playland is a step above. I don't have to see it. Tastes are different, may not like it but that doesn't mean those rides aren't necessary to fill out the park. And I see a lot of "well, I'd rather have this". Maybe that's why things are so underwhelming (more so than they are, even though yes TSPL IS underwhelming, I'm not denying that but to be fair, I haven't experienced either TSPL) because we set our expectations and then we don't get what we want so we dismiss what we don't like.

I love how people are saying "well I hope they do other attractions". I know TDO inspires no great confidence, so of course with TSPL being the first to 'leak' to a degree, it's the "oh noooo" feeling but there's just no way they add TSPL and not at least two solid attractions. Plus we have Star Wars Land which sounds like it's separate. Let's wait until we have actual plans before we determine this is all we are getting.

Pumbaa1222

These types of flat rides seem to do better when integrated into a themed area, but are NOT the only thing in the themed area. Maters is a perfect example, as are the teacups and carousel. The areas that people seem to have issues with are the ones that are shoe-horned in (Flying Carpets) or given a dedicated space (TSPL, C&H)

If they were to give us Maters, next to a well themed dark ride, next to a well themed restaurant, next to a well themed D or E ticket, I don't think people would complain. The problem is that isn't easy to accomplish, quickly/cheaply/in stages, the way opening an entire area is.

Kman101

Totally agree!

Don't take this the wrong way but have you seen concept art? We DON'T know what we're getting. Not saying TSPL inspires great confidence but to assume we're getting a "hit a moving target and win a bear" with tacky dinosaurs, a garish spinner, and a severe lack of shade is a huge assumption.

Kman101

These types of flat rides seem to do better when integrated into a themed area, but are NOT the only thing in the themed area. Maters is a perfect example, as are the teacups and carousel. The areas that people seem to have issues with are the ones that are shoe-horned in (Flying Carpets) or given a dedicated space (TSPL, C&H)

If they were to give us Maters, next to a well themed dark ride, next to a well themed restaurant, next to a well themed D or E ticket, I don't think people would complain. The problem is that isn't easy to accomplish, quickly/cheaply/in stages, the way opening an entire area is.

I mean, I think we can all ASSUME they won't, but we don't know what they will do. And to be fair, they probably consider Toy Story Mania the main attraction of whatever TSPL will be (not saying I agree with that. I do agree with you).

Next Big Thing

I think adding Toy Story Playland to an already Toy Story infested Pixar Place is the best way to go and certainly a smart move in terms of adding family oriented rides to DHS. Only thing needed is a proper (yes, here I say it again...) PIZZA PLANET!!!
This is a good point... Pizza Planet needs to be moved - at this point as it will be very out of place and recreated, but this time, let's do it more true to the movie.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Also: I think there is a chance that they build two tracks for the Mater's clone like they did with Dumbo. If they've learned anything from things like Dumbo, TSMM, Soarin', it's that the FL parks are in much higher need of capacity than the DL counterparts.

Kman101

Also: I think there is a chance that they build two tracks for the Mater's clone like they did with Dumbo. If they've learned anything from things like Dumbo, TSMM, Soarin', it's that the FL parks are in much higher need of capacity than the DL counterparts.

Let's hope. I can't imagine with low capacity the lines would be any fun.

I agree about moving Pizza Planet. Considering they have Studio Catering Co. right there next to the former Backlot ...

Travel Junkie

Mater’s at DCA does have 2 tracks. I would assume if it cloned it would also have 2 tracks at DHS.

cheezbat

Can anyone explain to me what the company's fascination is with Toy Story Playland? It was a cheap land Walt Disney Studios got instead of TSMM, then they added it to Hong Kong Disneyland, it's also in the plans for Shanghai Disneyland, and now Disneys Hollywood Studios? Seriously...a cheap flat ride mini land in 4 parks?

Seriously...if you're going to clone something WDW, clone the GOOD stuff.

Fe Maiden

Can anyone explain to me what the company's fascination is with Toy Story Playland? It was a cheap land Walt Disney Studios got instead of TSMM, then they added it to Hong Kong Disneyland, it's also in the plans for Shanghai Disneyland, and now Disneys Hollywood Studios? Seriously...a cheap flat ride mini land in 4 parks?

I could be wrong, but I think you answered your own question. Twice.

Haymarket2008

I really don't mind the idea of Toy Story Playland. As long as it doesn't get in the way of future expansion. But I think it's a good move, in a way. Uninspired, but neither is Mad Tea Party. It's just something to do that is fun and film inspired. And Toy Story Playland is 3 million times better than Legend of Jack Sparrow. So it is a thumbs up for me.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Mater’s at DCA does have 2 tracks. I would assume if it cloned it would also have 2 tracks at DHS.
I would assume that as well. It's RC Racer that needs a second track, though. That one is a slow loader with one track. I hope they invest the money for a second track (or make the single car twice as big). Otherwise, it'll be Dumbo before it was doubled -- a ride that is almost never ever worth its wait.

SirLink

I would assume that as well. It's RC Racer that needs a second track, though. That one is a slow loader with one track. I hope they invest the money for a second track (or make the single car twice as big). Otherwise, it'll be Dumbo before it was doubled -- a ride that is almost never ever worth its wait.

One would hope you don't get RC Racer purely for the sight intrusions behind the Chinese Theatre...

TSPL doesn't have carnival games. Only flats.

Midway Mania gives them carte blanche to add them in Orlando ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom