Toy Story Playland

Travel Junkie

A lot of people have mentioned DHS needs more rides for the little ones and that is very true. My issue with TSPL and all of these types of lands is that they devote an entire land to one audience segment. I would feel the same way if they had an entire land of thrill rides. When a family shows up to a park and the parents know that most of the rides their kids can go one are all in one area, it makes for a less enjoyable experience, at least for me.

What makes a great land is a variety of different types of ride experiences. I will use Disneyland’s Fantasyland as an example of a land that has themed carnival rides like Dumbo and the carousel but it is all surrounded by terrific and rich dark rides. That makes a great family friendly land that all ages can enjoy.

I would prefer if any re-invention of DHS would populate family friendly rides mixed in with the more adult rides. Put a family friendly ride next to RNRC. A new Star Wars land should have a mix of family and thrill rides. A fully fleshed out Pixar land should include 1 ride like a re-themed Mater ride along with a rich Monster’s Inc Coaster. Having a complete land that’s “for the kids” is a trend in Theme Parks and one I think is a mistake.

PREMiERdrum

Wow, these are some giant, oversized *kids*, lol.
1024px-Luigi%27s_Flying_Tires.jpg

A small point of clarification, but this ride pictured is Luigi's Flying Tires, which is going away after the holiday season to be replaced with a new flat ride.

The rumored "Woody's Roundup" is a reworked version of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree:
P6103136.jpg

Turtle

My thoughts:

Adding Toy Story Playland with three flats would be great. If true, we'll get a Star Wars e-ticket, Cars dark ride, Great Movie Ride update, an immersive Star Wars area, an additional ride, and updates to entertainment offerings, with leftover expansion pads.

Naturally, people will quarrel on the forum over anything new but if the rumors happen we'll have one helluva park.

Turtle

So you like chester and hester? Because that's what this will be. Whole entire land of carnival rides. Unlike a few classics in fantasyland.
Chester-Hester's flats are based off of a mundane place whereas TSPL and FL would transport guests to a place they've never seen.

Toy Story Playland would be closer to Fantasyland than Chester-and-Hester's. It can even have some modifications, to fit DHS, from the previous versions.

Toy Story Playland Vs Chester and Hester
-
Indoor Themed Meet and Greet VS - Occassional Outdoor Meet and Greet
- Toy Story Mania Dark Ride VS no dark ride
- Themed Flat Rides VS Naked Flat Rides
- Props and Greenery VS Carnival Stands

Lad

So much negativity. This really isn't a big deal. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is a fun ride so I have no complaints about seeing its ride system cloned. This land will help alleviate some of the criticism that there isn't enough for kids to do at the park.

If this were the ONLY thing that was going to be added to the park then, yeah, I could understand the criticism. I see this though as a small component of a large plan.

doctornick

While this may be nothing to stand up and shout about, I echo the sentiment that DHS is in dire need of more family attractions.

I would have preferred a general Pixar theme of this and that. But, Toy Story Land can be cute with some effort and it should be relatively cheap.

I have no problem with a flat ride heavy area, but I agree with the idea of having it be a variety of properties and not just Toy Story. Why not a "Pixar Playland" with stuff from Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Bug's Life, Ratatouille, etc represented?

doctornick

When we were there (week before Memorial Day) it was a 20 minute wait for Mater's. They have to separate tracks for Mater too ala Dumbo. The lines for this will be crazy since it's new and they don't have many ride for little ones under 40 inches - however Mater's does have a very short height limit of 32 inches inches. The Slinky Dog ride is the only ride without height limit at HKDL's Toy Story Area. So if they are doing clones 2 of the new rides are likely to have some sort of height limit.

Yeah, it's worth noting that RC Racer has a Height restriction of 120 cm, which is about 47" -- that's not really a kid friendly ride unless you have 8-10 year olds in mind.

rct247

My other concern is weather and shade. Huge trees wouldn't fit the theme of the Toy Story Playland. At least, a bug's land at DCA has the huge clovers for shade. All of these are also outdoor attractions which would close during Florida thunderstorms. Obviously outdoor attraction do exist in Florida theme parks, but it is something to think about if I were designing an attraction to help with a capacity problem at a theme park.

VulcanCafe

My other concern is weather and shade. Huge trees wouldn't fit the theme of the Toy Story Playland. At least, a bug's land at DCA has the huge clovers for shade. All of these are also outdoor attractions which would close during Florida thunderstorms. Obviously outdoor attraction do exist in Florida theme parks, but it is something to think about if I were designing an attraction to help with a capacity problem at a theme park.
Hence the third track at TSMM? :)

BrerJon

Toy Story attractions have giant 'boxes' which serve as covered queue areas to provide shade.

FigmentForver96

Even if they add TSPL, that would only be no more then 20% of the budget being thrown around. And rides in that land may be carnival rides but they have more theming to them then Hester and Chester's. So why don't we actually wait for them to announce something before everyone loses their mind over things never announced.

asianway

I find the whole "family" ride versus "kiddie" thing to be kind of silly, lol. Cedar Point, which is arguably the largest thrill park in world, describes their entire "kiddie" section as *family* rides, the terminology is interchangeable for most people and not a big deal. So, I will continue to refer to them as family rides. https://www.cedarpoint.com/things-to-do/family-rides

And yes, I tempered my expectations because I have heard about Carsland & StarWarsland and something about a Monsters Inc roller coaster -- never in a million years would I have guessed TSPL. But, I think it's so cute and children, families and majority of people are going to love it. The timeline bothers me more than anything else, because I think it will be around 2020 before we see anything Star Wars. Iger was very careful to note a "strong presence" in Disney Parks and that can mean anything.

Disney tends to be reactive instead of proactive these days. The New Fantasyland was supposed to be a Pixie Hollow meet and greet. The only reason we have 7DMT, BOG, StoryBook Circus, ETWB, The Little Mermaid and plans for Avatarland is because it was in response to Harry Potter.

Diagon Alley, Tranformers, Simpsons expansion, and Despicable Me really didn't shatter Disney like everyone claimed it would. So, I don't find it unreasonable to temper my expectations given the current track record.

With that said, I am very excited about Avatarland!
Pixie Hollow was supposed to have a maters clone in it. Instead the kept the circus tents. Would have been much better had they left that alone

JustInTime

Wow, so it basically doesn't even go anywhere and it truly is built out of a carnival ride system. Most of the time I think people are being very hyperbolic when saying that, but this is the worst ride i've seen in any Disney park.

I'd actually rather the Green Army Men parachute drop ride come than this piece of ****.
Exactly. It's bad. I'm not exaggerating.

SirLink

Yeah, it's worth noting that RC Racer has a Height restriction of 120 cm, which is about 47" -- that's not really a kid friendly ride unless you have 8-10 year olds in mind.

Also of note you won't get RC Racer or Parachute Drop because of sight lines one would hope they aren't included.

lazyboy97o

-For those who complain about these being kiddie rides and cheap: take off your adult glasses and try to imagine riding these with your small child. They would love these!
No! The entire genesis of Disney's theme parks was the notion that this is not a desired position.

Chester-Hester's flats are based off of a mundane place whereas TSPL and FL would transport guests to a place they've never seen.
People have never seen a backyard with toys let in it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom