Toy Story Playland

Little Green Men

Just like when DAK opened Chester and Hester wasn't all they were adding either. Now we all hate it. I get that a few kid friendly rides are needed, but why do they have to be on the same level as a traveling carnival?
I don't think it's a traveling carnival, I think its more like toys scattered in the backyard that guests become toy sized like A bugs land and HISTK playground.

lazyboy97o

Just like when DAK opened Chester and Hester wasn't all they were adding either. Now we all hate it. I get that a few kid friendly rides are needed, but why do they have to be on the same level as a traveling carnival?
Because the ticket system was discarded. Small attractions are not the type to be more individually responsible for increasing attendance, guest spending or even guest satisfaction.

Seabasealpha1

This is just what I've heard...I have no real opinion as I've never been there...

I thought the Toy Story area at DLP sucked? I thought it was often thought of as underdone and cheap?

Enlighten me... and be gentle if I'm wrong. No need for totally answers.

It looks like a missed opportunity from what I can see...like...it smells like cheese. I'd rather they move buzz lightyear and monsters inc over...though, it'll never happen...

Again, opinion. And of course, this hasn't been confirmed right? We're just stirring the speculation pot?

Next Big Thing

Surely nobody can get excited about 3 cloned travelling carnival class rides?

This really should not be coming to the studios....the rides are a cheap Chester and Hester style fill out lifted straight from the worlds worst Disney park.
If this is what the mean to a overhaul of the studios, I fell they should hardly bother.
This is not meant to overhaul Studios. This is meant as a beginning stage to the redo. Something to tide people over while the big boys get built.

JustInTime

Why not move Monsters Inc to DHS? And lets move the Aladdin spinner while we're at it too.

Not only would that increase capacity in Studios, but it would also help open up spaces in MK and give them a place for a new (and fitting) attraction in Tomorrowland.
The spinner needs to just disappear. Wouldn't fit dhs. But the laugh floor would be perfect for DHS.

Macca250

I'm personally not a big fan of TSPL, however my girlfriend loved it and I know of some youngsters who loved it too at DLP. So I guess as far as DHS lacks in substantial E-tickets, it equally (if not significantly more) lacks in family-friendly rides. I agree with people that DHS needs a land like this, however I also agree with those who think a different property other than Toy Story should be used. I like the 'Pixar Playland' concept, why not morph A Bugs Land, TSPL and a few other rides based on different properties? I mean for goodness sake, if they're doing it on the cheap and want to surround the land in bamboo to 'shrink' the guest down in size, you could add Ratatouille to the mix and even Nemo to the mix (a water based area?) - they're all small-sized characters! It wouldn't require a great deal of additional design.

Siren

Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop, RC Racers & Mater's Junkyard Jamboree -- *reimagined* for Toy Story (they can call it "Woody's Round Up" or something) will fit nicely behind Toy Story Mania without compromising any of the sight lines.

k9ta4n.jpg

If done correctly, TSPL could turn out to be super cute & fun. We all know Disney can do far more but given the current circumstances, I'm like whatever.

The massive line for TSMM continues to grow every single year -- sometimes extending halfway through the park. So, I believe TSPL will help to remedy some of that and also alleviate some of the capacity and tiering issues concerning DHS.

Again, I hope it's completed by 2016 or at least before Avatarland. I really wanted something *grand* for Star Wars but after this development, I have since tempered my expectations considerably. That said, I will remain cautiously optimistic & can't wait to hear more details!

Nmoody1

it will be interesting to see if they add RC Racer if they opt for a double track, as was originally planned. I really think there is a need for smaller attractions like this - although i am not the biggest fan, but it still adds some kind of value. A lot of kids and families get most of their enjoyment from carnival type rides. I just think that capacity will need to be increased on their current model, or it will be a lost cause for DHS and only a people eater because the people will be stuck in ridiculous long lines.

another interesting thought to add to this, if it does get built it would probably be useful to add a similar play area standby area similar to Dumbo - somewhere tgat folks can relax in an air conditioned environment.

DisneyFan 2000

What I find interesting in all this is that some of us have lowered expectations so much as to call this expansion needed because these are "family" rides. These rides are NOT family rides. PotC, Haunted Mansion, FL dark rides, TTA, Voyage of Sinbad etc etc. Those are family rides. This expansion is for the kiddies, and quite frankly, lazy. Lets hope they're saving the best for last and that it's a bit more impressive than NFL's anchor ride. :)

Kman101

I haven't lowered my expectations at all. I'm not sure why these rides elicit such intense reactions. They're harmless, not all we're getting, and the park needs to be a "full" park. This is a step towards that. None of the rides actually appeal to me, except for whatever themed Mater ride we get, but I can see why rides like this appeal to many people and again, are needed to flesh out the park. I'd have to guess we at least get a couple of significant additions on top of this.

My other concern with the Playland though is the lines. Can you imagine?

Next Big Thing

I haven't lowered my expectations at all. I'm not sure why these rides elicit such intense reactions. They're harmless, not all we're getting, and the park needs to be a "full" park. This is a step towards that. None of the rides actually appeal to me, except for whatever themed Mater ride we get, but I can see why rides like this appeal to many people and again, are needed to flesh out the park. I'd have to guess we at least get a couple of significant additions on top of this.

My other concern with the Playland though is the lines. Can you imagine?
Well I can't imagine TSPL will cause to much of an attendance bump, if any at all, so all it will do is take away waits from other attractions, Probably things like GMR, Star Tours, maybe less people going to see the shows, possibly even relieving RNRC a bit, etc. But yes, the lines will be bad as all rides being added are fairly low capacity. Doesn't Mater's get consistently 20+ minute waits in DCA (a park with a lot more rides)?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Well I can't imagine TSPL will cause to much of an attendance bump, if any at all, so all it will do is take away waits from other attractions, Probably things like GMR, Star Tours, maybe less people going to see the shows, possibly even relieving RNRC a bit, etc. But yes, the lines will be bad as all rides being added are fairly low capacity. Doesn't Mater's get consistently 20+ minute waits in DCA (a park with a lot more rides)?
When we were there (week before Memorial Day) it was a 20 minute wait for Mater's. They have two separate tracks for Mater too ala Dumbo. The lines for this will be crazy since it's new and they don't have many ride for little ones under 40 inches - however Mater's does have a very short height limit of 32 inches inches. The Slinky Dog ride is the only ride without height limit at HKDL's Toy Story Area. So if they are doing clones 2 of the new rides are likely to have some sort of height limit.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

When we were there (week before Memorial Day) it was a 20 minute wait for Mater's. They have to separate tracks for Mater too ala Dumbo. The lines for this will be crazy since it's new and they don't have many ride for little ones under 40 inches - however Mater's does have a very short height limit of 32 inches inches. The Slinky Dog ride is the only ride without height limit at HKDL's Toy Story Area. So if they are doing clones 2 of the new rides are likely to have some sort of height limit.
I really hope they replace the slinky dog ride... even if it's for a Buzz Lightyear Dumbo-style spinner or something. The slinky dog ride just seems so terrible and way too carnival-esque. It's a copy of Heimlich's chew chew if i'm not mistaken, correct?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom