Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

Believe or have you heard through your sources that more could/is on the way? Because quite frankly, I am very excited for the new announcements but still seems like only half of what 3 Billion+ could buy.

Agreed. We haven't seen anywhere near $2.8B amount of stuff announced for DHS, even accounting for a chunk of that going to infrastructure.

CrescentLake

Heard. Nothing definite but more than a guess.

That is a comforting thought. Begs the question, why wasn't it announced? Couldn't they have really capitalized on a major DCA level announcement? Like reveal the new name and the there major areas/placemaking/infrastructure all at once? Star Wars Land made a huge splash but this would have been even bigger.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
That is a comforting thought. Begs the question, why wasn't it announced? Couldn't they have really capitalized on a major DCA level announcement? Like reveal the new name and the there major areas/placemaking/infrastructure all at once? Star Wars Land made a huge splash but this would have been even bigger.
A possibility is they are not yet clear on the direction they want to go. Star Wars and Toy Story is a given, so was announced. The rest, still to be determined.

Bairstow

I wonder if the Toy Story land expansion will include a new stage or two for Midway Mania.
It would be really awesome if they could add a level featuring the Battlesaurs.
toy-story-that-time-forgot-3.jpg

...or the Poultry Palace toys.

maxresdefault.jpg

"DJ Bluejay" is one of those jokes that's so stupid it cracks me up every time.

orlando678-

Maybe they are looking at the reaction of the people on the direction it could go with these immersive lands. They could have shown just two of their ideas for this d23 and they might change their ideas uf it receives negative critics.

doctornick

A possibility is they are not yet clear on the direction they want to go. Star Wars and Toy Story is a given, so was announced. The rest, still to be determined.

Or they might know the plans, but just want to save some bullets for later announcements. The announcements they made were plenty of a splash for D23 and for the time being. They can hold back on other announcements (Marvel at DCA, additional DHS stuff, any new things coming to Epcot or MK) in the next year or two as a way to generate buzz and excitement.

You figure they will close LMA at some point in the future. Why not make an announcement at the time of the closure so people aren't complaining about losing an attraction without an obvious replacement?

CinematicFusion

All of this is a long way off and they didn't want to completely overshadow Avatar and the new theme park in China.

In two years at the next D23, Avatar will have opened and I'm sure at that point we will hear more about the redo at DHS.

Also...there is nothing wrong with, "Always leave the audience wanting more."

Last edited:

rioriz

I firmly believe more is on the way. But a classic D ticket dark ride would be great for TSL.

If this is all I'll be upset too.

In my view if you are right and there is more to come them I'm ok worth what TSL will have. I think the land already had is dark ride in TSM. let another franchise have a dark ride

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

While the theming (or decorations depending on your stance on theming ;)) seems more kid-oriented, the two new rides seem to skew more toward "family-friendly" than "kiddie", assuming what is in the concept art is what will be built.

I hope you're right. So far, the only thing out of D23 that sounds interesting to me is the Skipper's Canteen.

RSoxNo1

Realistically I think Star Wars was announced because their hands were tied. They could not get away with another tease and as a result it had to be revealed for both DL/DHS. There was a reason Scott Trowbridge said like five times it would be a while...

Toy Story was also a bit of a 'had to' move.

The funny thing is I think the 'medium term' projects were the ones left off the table. Both Marvel at DL and Mystery Pixar at DHS were held back because they actually could get away with not saying anything. I also think we'll see those both before Star Wars, but who knows, maybe Star Wars did get really fast tracked after all.

I said it before D23 as well, we are still too early for a DHS redo announcement. I know we saw a few parts of it and everyone has equated it as 'the announcement'. However, we probably have another year or so before they actually acknowledge that there is a big makeover happening and not just two isolated projects.
I think you're probably correct here on all counts.

RSoxNo1

I wonder if the Toy Story land expansion will include a new stage or two for Midway Mania.
It would be really awesome if they could add a level featuring the Battlesaurs.
toy-story-that-time-forgot-3.jpg

...or the Poultry Palace toys.

maxresdefault.jpg

"DJ Bluejay" is one of those jokes that's so stupid it cracks me up every time.

Tae Kwon Doe gets me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom