Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Brian Swan

That is a comforting thought. Begs the question, why wasn't it announced? Couldn't they have really capitalized on a major DCA level announcement? Like reveal the new name and the there major areas/placemaking/infrastructure all at once? Star Wars Land made a huge splash but this would have been even bigger.
There are still at least 2 more D23s before any of this open - more likely 3. They need to have something "splashy" to announce at those...

gmajew

There are still at least 2 more D23s before any of this open - more likely 3. They need to have something "splashy" to announce at those...

Man you math is funny that would be 4 -6 years. Toy Story will be open by 2018 for sure, my gut is telling me late 2017 because they know the park needs this so bad... But for that to happen shovels need to start October.

ToTBellHop

Are you counting D23 Japan? Because it is likely that Toy Story Land will open in 2017. If not before the next American D23, it'll open right around D23 2017. That's why it was announced this time--generally speaking, they announced projects that will premiere between now and the next D23. Except Star Wars (which will likely open sooner than D23 2021).

ght

I firmly believe more is on the way. But a classic D ticket dark ride would be great for TSL.

If this is all I'll be upset too.
I agree with you there. Having a nice family coaster (Slinky-dog), a quality flat ride (Aliens), an interactive dark ride (TSMM) and a D ticket dark ride would be a perfect mix for a "family-oriented" land.

gmajew

I doubt it. At lot of items are on loan.

It was only ever (Disney) temporary. 100 Years of Magic and to hide the fact the post production walking tour was dated.

Sad that it is going as I personally love the history of Disney part of why I love the parks so much... The vision that Walt had and then for Roy to continue after his death is amazing. The family created something that has now lasted nearly 90years and has built this company is amazing to see.

Like I said I love that story as much as any the parks can tell. Just amazing what a man and a mouse built.

Brian Swan

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a new state of the art dark ride. But this land is obviously geared toward the younger set (and their families), and "Kiddie Rides" (e.g. mini merry-go-rounds, ferris wheels, spinners) are relatively cheap - even if you add in a Disney overlay - and do not take up much real estate. Both Busch Gardens parks as well as DCA have entire beautifully themed "mini-lands" devoted to them. I do not have any children, but a bug's land is a lot of fun to walk through and enjoy the theming. Land of the Dragons at BGW is also "Disney quality" in theming. As the plan develops, especially if there is a public outcry, these could be added easily to satisfy the toddler moms (and help diffuse some of the crowds - at least a little bit).

For Star Wars Land I'd love to see a large coaster along the likes of Hulk or Kracken (and it would fit the target audience) - but Disney seems hard set against high-thrill coasters, so I fear that this will never happen...

Brian Swan

Are they going to move OMD anywhere? Would be a shame to lose it outright, but I can't think of a good location. Maybe put it in Innoventions?
It would actually make sense to move it, along with a WDW-wide "blue sky" exhibit *outside* one of the gated parks (maybe DTD?). This would allow the public to see what was going on and possibly generate even more interest in what was coming.

P_Radden

Rough draft overlay made in MS paint. I know some of my dimensions are off, but, this gives us an idea of how big of a chunk of land TSL will take up:
DHS TSL draft.jpg

Made from looking at this pic:

Toy-Story-Land_Full_25052.jpg

FigmentForver96

I'm confused as to why the people who claim to hate Chester and Hester, think this Toy Story land is some amazing new thing? :confused:
If you visit both in person then you could see why. Hester and Chester's has a theme, but the themeing is just cheap and poor. While Toy Story Land is still not the most elaborate themed land in the world, it is wayyyy better then H&C. Not Cars themeing by a long shot, but way better.

Bairstow

If you visit both in person then you could see why. Hester and Chester's has a theme, but the themeing is just cheap and poor. While Toy Story Land is still not the most elaborate themed land in the world, it is wayyyy better then H&C. Not Cars themeing by a long shot, but way better.

I fail to see the advantage.
They both look like hell.

avatarkingdom_dinorama2006ww.jpg

Monkeys-over-Toy-Story-Playland-03.jpg

Bairstow

The bottom one is not Toy Story Land however. It is Toy Story playland. I sincerely hope they don't go quite that tacky in DHS.

At this point, there is every indication that the DHS Toy Story area will be just as garish as its foreign antecedents.
In the released, Florida-specific concept art you can clearly see the same TinkerToy fencing and multi-color "Christmas light" lighting strung across the walkways.

ToTBellHop

At this point, there is every indication that the DHS Toy Story area will be just as garish as its foreign antecedents.
In the released, Florida-specific concept art you can clearly see the same TinkerToy fencing and multi-color "Christmas light" lighting strung across the walkways.
It will clearly have a similar style. Just bigger with better rides. It'll be a hit with elementary school kids and those that enjoy the All Stars, Pop, and AoA. Those with more refined tastes got the bulk of the good news last weekend (Star Wars, AVATAR, RoL, night safaris, Soarin).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom