Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

Rough draft overlay made in MS paint. I know some of my dimensions are off, but, this gives us an idea of how big of a chunk of land TSL will take up:
View attachment 106488

Made from looking at this pic:

View attachment 106489
Should be shifted down a bit. The red diagonal building is the entrance to TSMM and should line up with the pretty clear delineation between the building TSMM is in and the smaller building that will house it's 3rd track. Then you'd have it! Everything is just a little bit further down (southeast I think) from your placement. The land's entrance doesn't come off Animation Courtyard. It will pass through portions of Mermaid, OMD, and Sparrow.

doctornick

Rough draft overlay made in MS paint. I know some of my dimensions are off, but, this gives us an idea of how big of a chunk of land TSL will take up:
View attachment 106488

Made from looking at this pic:

View attachment 106489

I don't think the entrance to the land will be from the (current) Animation courtyard, but from closer to the existing TSMM building. We will probably lose the buildings for Jack Sparrow/One Man's Dream to allow for the entrance to TSL to be big enough, but I think the Mermaid building will remain. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mermaid show building abuts the "hotel" show building in the Toy Story plans.

The One Man's Dream building is quite large. Removing that would open up a big space. Mermaid can be repurposed to a new show or (if they want to be aggressive) even putting a ride in that space.

devoy1701

The concept art -- if it is oriented as we all expect -- doesn't seem to offer a pathway or even potential for a future pathway to connect this Toy Story area to where RNR is.

That said, it's not clear how exactly Animation Courtyard will be involved but it's possible/likely that Toy Story will start at One Man's Dream/Jack Sparrow leaving the space from LM and the Animation building to be redeveloped into something else, which might eventually connect to where RNR is and help guest flow. Obviously Animation will be used for Star Wars Launch Bay and Blue Sky for now, as has been reported, but there could be some longer term plans for the area.
I wasn't suggesting that Toy Story land will be connected with RnR area....only that the master plan for the rebuilding of DHS probably includes finally completing that loop.

peter11435

I don't think the entrance to the land will be from the (current) Animation courtyard, but from closer to the existing TSMM building. We will probably lose the buildings for Jack Sparrow/One Man's Dream to allow for the entrance to TSL to be big enough, but I think the Mermaid building will remain. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mermaid show building abuts the "hotel" show building in the Toy Story plans.

The One Man's Dream building is quite large. Removing that would open up a big space. Mermaid can be repurposed to a new show or (if they want to be aggressive) even putting a ride in that space.
Everything you said is correct

P_Radden

Should be shifted down a bit. The red diagonal building is the entrance to TSMM and should line up with the pretty clear delineation between the building TSMM is in and the smaller building that will house it's 3rd track. Then you'd have it! Everything is just a little bit further down (southeast I think) from your placement. The land's entrance doesn't come off Animation Courtyard. It will pass through portions of Mermaid, OMD, and Sparrow.

Yeah I wasn't completely sure about where the entrance needed to be. Haha it was a fun project to pass the time today while I got some invoicing done at work. Tomorrow I will update it positioned as you guys mentioned and mess with it a bit.

Does anyone know if that tan square building in the center will stay? I just assumed they would reuse it because it lined up with the concept drawing. If it's gone, then that would make a lot more sense when relining up the right half of that render using a slightly smaller building in its spot.

Edit:
If you scale down my drawing and lower it for the 2 red barns to match the existing top corner and middle of the TSMM bldg, and align the entrance with the current OMD bldg, Disney could keep the big parking garage, and the coaster doesn't seem as big or long now. If they are going to keep the parking garage then we are going to see some really tall walls similar in size and scope to the huge rock cliffs in Cars Land.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just want a half decently themed Pizza Planet to replace the whatever it is they thought they were doing the first time. Oh, with some half decent food.

I don't think Pizza Planet would make sense. The idea of Toy Story Land is that you have been shrunk down to toy size and are playing among the toys. Pizza Planet on the other hand is human sized.

ToTBellHop

So is Al Toy Barn.
image.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Al's Toy Barn in the concept art has a handle so maybe it is supposed to be a box from the store rather than the stor itself.

ETA: the posts above mine have a better explanation

Of course, it would be in character for Al to create a play set that looked like his store.

BrianLo

At this point, there is every indication that the DHS Toy Story area will be just as garish as its foreign antecedents.
In the released, Florida-specific concept art you can clearly see the same TinkerToy fencing and multi-color "Christmas light" lighting strung across the walkways.

Again, it's only somewhat garish in WDS (which is the version everyone keeps using to back up their disgust). In HKDL I'd call it pleasant, but with a continued poor mix of rides. This is another step up again - in both departments.

G00fyDad

I don't think Pizza Planet would make sense. The idea of Toy Story Land is that you have been shrunk down to toy size and are playing among the toys. Pizza Planet on the other hand is human sized.
The Al's Toy Barn in the concept art has a handle so maybe it is supposed to be a box from the store rather than the stor itself.

ETA: the posts above mine have a better explanation

These could be toys that Andy has "put in his yard" to represent the larger real life structures. His favorite toy store may be Al's Toy Barn, and we know his favorite pizza place is Pizza Planet.

lazyboy97o

A ride's environment does effect the experience and so do the characters that are a part of that environment. The concept art looks like an environment that my family and I will enjoy and I have feeling many others will too. The ride weaves through the environment and therefore is affected by it. The question I was responding to was basically asking if we would feel the same way if they set these 2 rides up in a parking lot somewhere with no theme. I wouldn't but that is no more relevant than how I would feel if TOT was a drop tower in the middle of nowhere.
But it's all part of the show. Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mt, or Rock'n'Roller wouldn't be quite as convincing with generic coaster cars. It all adds to the overall effect.

I don't know how Toy Story Land will fare in overall effect. The concept art didn't look too convincing to me, but then I saw the higher res version and I see the potential for a nicely themed little area that will serve its purpose very nicely. It's kind of hard to judge without seeing the finished product in-person, from ground level, or at least having more photo-realistic artwork available.
The whole premise of this new roller coaster is that you are... riding a roller coaster. There is no story or experience being created of doing something like being on a rocket ship or runaway train. It is a roller coaster that provides the experience of a roller coaster. In the case of the train, the Slinky Dog design is only themed decoration as its only purpose is to remind one of the branding.

It will clearly have a similar style. Just bigger with better rides. It'll be a hit with elementary school kids and those that enjoy the All Stars, Pop, and AoA. Those with more refined tastes got the bulk of the good news last weekend (Star Wars, AVATAR, RoL, night safaris, Soarin).
Why should a theme park bother to entice people not interested in themed entertainment?

doctornick

The whole premise of this new roller coaster is that you are... riding a roller coaster. There is no story or experience being created of doing something like being on a rocket ship or runaway train. It is a roller coaster that provides the experience of a roller coaster. In the case of the train, the Slinky Dog design is only themed decoration as its only purpose is to remind one of the branding.

The premise is you are riding on the back of a slinky toy on toy tracks in the shape of a roller coaster. I suppose you could more lavishly design the tracks to look like (say) tinkertoys put together, but I don't think that would enhance the experience. The extra pieces of track around is what contributes the theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom