Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Brian Swan

Parachutes ride at very top of high res concept art .
Pretty sure that it's just a "toy" prop. It's inside the loop of the track and no indication of how it would be accessed. And if they were putting in something as significant as a parachute ride, I'm sure it would have been announced.

peter11435

The concept art -- if it is oriented as we all expect -- doesn't seem to offer a pathway or even potential for a future pathway to connect this Toy Story area to where RNR is.

That said, it's not clear how exactly Animation Courtyard will be involved but it's possible/likely that Toy Story will start at One Man's Dream/Jack Sparrow leaving the space from LM and the Animation building to be redeveloped into something else, which might eventually connect to where RNR is and help guest flow. Obviously Animation will be used for Star Wars Launch Bay and Blue Sky for now, as has been reported, but there could be some longer term plans for the area.
The concept art doesn't show the animation courtyard or RNRC area in any way.

ULPO46

When i thought Pixar i didnt think theyd be ripping off of the Hong Kong Disneyland land. I thought we would be getting something all new maybe adding a few more IP that haa nothing to do with Monsters, Toy Story or nemo which have shows or rides based off of them. It would have even been cool to add a Monstropolis. But it looks nice and thats what is important as the consumer has no say in the project. The board has finalized it and now the real work of construction and planning shall commence. Give or take a year or two.
http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-star-wars-land-disneyland-20150817-story.html

bakntime

The middle section definitely looks like a LIM type launch, but the first hill looks traditional.
That lift hill does look traditional, but it will probably be an LSM lift hill, like the lift hill on California Screamin. It has the speed of a traditional lift hill, but there's no chain to make that annoying sound.

Last edited:

ght

Based on this concept art posted on Attractions Magazine, I would say the saucer ride is definitely a re-themed version of Mater's, which is good since that ride is a lot of fun.
Toy-Story-Land-concept.jpg

invader

Theme works by creating a place and/or experience. Decoration works by remaining detached and recalling other experiences. A truly masterful themed experience thinks it is real and is unaware that it is a fictional creation.
I like this thought, but would rephrase it to say that it creates the illusion of reality. Even the best of themed spaces still have a functional purpose of moving crowds or generating revenue, but at the same time will do so in a way that comes across as natural or logical (even if they aren't).
The place itself acknowledging the illusion breaks down the illusion. It start's the "it's all fake so it's okay" thinking that allows for things like the devolution of Main Street, USA.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/theme-vs-decoration.861927/

bakntime

The experience of a roller coaster really doesn't change based on the customized look of the coaster train.
But it's all part of the show. Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mt, or Rock'n'Roller wouldn't be quite as convincing with generic coaster cars. It all adds to the overall effect.

I don't know how Toy Story Land will fare in overall effect. The concept art didn't look too convincing to me, but then I saw the higher res version and I see the potential for a nicely themed little area that will serve its purpose very nicely. It's kind of hard to judge without seeing the finished product in-person, from ground level, or at least having more photo-realistic artwork available.

FigmentForver96

As someone who has personally seen the HKDL version, I can say that it is way better then Hester and Chesters in terms of themeing. For one thing if you remove the giant statues of the characters, (Which it seems we wont) the illusion of being tiny is much more convincing. The biggest plus for this version of the land however is the rides wont be simple carnival rides such as RC Racer. Yea there is just a coaster and a spinner type ride, but they are much higher in quality then the other rides. It could still be a dud idk, but this land can come out somewhat decent as long as they don't cut any corners.

ght

Frankly, the way I feel about this new Toy Story Land is the way I felt about Dumbo's Circus. Um okay, this doesn't interest me in the least, but I guess it'll be nice. For the kids. :rolleyes:
While the theming (or decorations depending on your stance on theming ;)) seems more kid-oriented, the two new rides seem to skew more toward "family-friendly" than "kiddie", assuming what is in the concept art is what will be built.

orlando678-

Doubt it. The original concept art for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (the Disneyland equivalent) showed a Mater AA that would bounce around to the music and talk to guests and that was cut from the final product. Same thing for Luigi's Flying Tires.

Hopefully the Claw actually moves during the ride.
I know, but I just saw the figures in front of the vehicles and I thought why not.

matt9112

Doubt it. The original concept art for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (the Disneyland equivalent) showed a Mater AA that would bounce around to the music and talk to guests and that was cut from the final product. Same thing for Luigi's Flying Tires.

Hopefully the Claw actually moves during the ride.

Money money moneyyyy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom