Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Daveeeeed

So i've analyzed it a bit and thought it over and thinking back to how garish the other TS Lands are, i'm actually not bothered by them taking out some of the big tinker toy pieces. It actually may make the area slightly more aesthetically pleasing.

The loss of the rock work is another thing though. The only positive is it will be a quicker build without it.
Shouldn't have taken over a year either way, but I agree.

SirLink

Please give me a rundown of what what will cost.
Attractions, buildings, detailing etc.
Please also elaborate at how barely any detailing in an entire land would make that beyond high, for a flat ride at carnivals, and a small cheap bare-bones rollercoaster. 500 million would pay for Walt Disney Studios

That is still not going to make a cheap roller coaster and a flat ride cost 500m. Please don't tell me you believe that An extreme over budget would be 500m for a land that is just on a slightly larger scale is not going to cost 500m. It is insane to believe that. I don't care how much WDI goes overbudget, there is zero chance the execs would even consider a budget like that. The Little Mermaid ride is probably better than that entire land. Even if they spent a 80 million on the coaster, 60 million on the flat ride, and another 60 million on buildings and another 60 on scenery, we're at 250m. Please give me a rundown of how much you think Disnwy will spend on a ride that could cost 30m. And teacups which could easily cost 15 million for both if they were on a tight budget and 20-25 for both on an over budget.
I will say it again, there is ZERO chance they will spend 500m. Even Pandora's rumored 850m budget makes more sense, there will be floating mountains, huge mountains in the back, an Eticket, a dticket, and tons of interactive elements. So you are saying Toy Story Land with an aticket and a cticket (as the coaster stands in the new concept art) is going to cost just 350 million dollars less???!!!! That is absurd. No way Disney would spend anywhere near 500m for a land when they could up it by around 65% and make it one of the best lands on Earth.
So how much do you think it would've cost for the D23 concept art? 650m? Just a crazy statement as it is. No Way that is happening.
Again give me a run down of what you think they'll cost, and I may reconsider my stance, but you can't just blindly say, because WDI cannot even close meet a budget is going tospend 500m on a puny land that is just to add more capacity to a park, and the land sucks, with not even a dticket. you could've built 5 everests in 2016 for that money. Put that into perspective. And all the while people says that Disney budget cuts too much, clearly they need to spend less then if that is actually true! Which is highly unlikely, but ether way I am sure it is higher than it should be, but is no where near 500m.

1) It was supposed to cost around $400m for D23 announced version
2) There are no Teacup spin carnival rides there are some whip style rides. Aka Maters from DCA they aren't cheap because the extra cost is because they doubled it to help with FP+ and capacity. Plus they have had to pay for new design work on the attraction that is included in budget.
3) You are right they refuse to spend $500m hence the cuts to get the budget to look in better shape. After it spiraled out of control ...
4)You can thank Avatar, Shanghai, MM+, all which have had massive overruns in the budget. Which has caused this level of scrutiny on projects.

CrescentLake

Have been at the studios at various parts of the past few days and oh boy is it a mess. Can't handle the crowds at all. I've never, ever seen it that crazy.

That said, anecdotally speaking, the new Star Wars entertainment has been a big hit. I heard so many people saying how much they loved it.

Full thoughts when I get back. Right now I'm in the beach club lobby drinking coffee and waiting for the rest of the crew so we can head to Animal. But it's not joke when people say DHS is a half day park. It may even be a 1/4 day park now.

lazyboy97o

It's been discussed here extensively how WDI spends way more than necessary on their recent projects which shouldn't cost anywhere near what they do. A perfect example being the rumored cost of The Little Mermaid dark ride (the DCA version without all the rock work) actually being higher than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. $100m vs. around $75m.
Little Mermaid is closer to $150 million with the multiple attempts to fix it.

And again, as a point of reference, Thunderbird cost Holiday World cost $22 million, all in.

Mike S

That is still not going to make a cheap roller coaster and a flat ride cost 500m. Please don't tell me you believe that An extreme over budget would be 500m for a land that is just on a slightly larger scale is not going to cost 500m. It is insane to believe that. I don't care how much WDI goes overbudget, there is zero chance the execs would even consider a budget like that. The Little Mermaid ride is probably better than that entire land. Even if they spent a 80 million on the coaster, 60 million on the flat ride, and another 60 million on buildings and another 60 on scenery, we're at 250m. Please give me a rundown of how much you think Disnwy will spend on a ride that could cost 30m. And teacups which could easily cost 15 million for both if they were on a tight budget and 20-25 for both on an over budget.
I will say it again, there is ZERO chance they will spend 500m. Even Pandora's rumored 850m budget makes more sense, there will be floating mountains, huge mountains in the back, an Eticket, a dticket, and tons of interactive elements. So you are saying Toy Story Land with an aticket and a cticket (as the coaster stands in the new concept art) is going to cost just 350 million dollars less???!!!! That is absurd. No way Disney would spend anywhere near 500m for a land when they could up it by around 65% and make it one of the best lands on Earth.
So how much do you think it would've cost for the D23 concept art? 650m? Just a crazy statement as it is. No Way that is happening.
Again give me a run down of what you think they'll cost, and I may reconsider my stance, but you can't just blindly say, because WDI cannot even close meet a budget is going tospend 500m on a puny land that is just to add more capacity to a park, and the land sucks, with not even a dticket. you could've built 5 everests in 2016 for that money. Put that into perspective. And all the while people says that Disney budget cuts too much, clearly they need to spend less then if that is actually true! Which is highly unlikely, but ether way I am sure it is higher than it should be, but is no where near 500m.
Considering $500m is supposedly what gave us NFL yes I agree it would be insane for TSL. I'm not pretending to know what the budget is for TSL though. I'll leave that info for our insiders to divulge. All I know is that it will most definitely cost more than it should.

jt04

Great, you replied! I was going to search back for some of your quotes talking about Avatar pushing a billion but I just didn't have the energy nor patience to do so.

That wouldn't all be Disney dollars would it. I'd think lightstorm is also an investor. Not sure how that works.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Has Disney official put out something on the Avatar cost overruns to the stockholders? I would think that this information would have to be made public to them.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
i mean officially by disney at like a stock holder meeting
not internet discussion boards

I am interested in the same thing. I would think that if all of these projects had such large overruns, the company being publicly traded would have to release this information to the stockholders.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Can we have a cost thread where someone lists out the estimated budget and actual price of all these projects its getting hard to keep track!
No, because we don't have any of that information. We could have a thread where we track leaks, partial information, speculation, and wild- guesses as to estimated budgets and actual prices, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom