Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Cesar R M

A well done D ticket dark ride would do that. Not an off the shelf carnival ride.

18 months later, Toy Story Land still hasn't opened. Some removal and relocation has happened backstage and a little clearing. Cat Can has gone.

This week the walls went up with new concept art of the land, similar to what was originally released, but with a value engineered and severely tweaked coaster compared to the first piece of art.
Severe tweaked coaster as in cut down a la seven dwarfs or even worse?

Definitely disappointing. What was already a lackluster addition (seriously, only 2 attractions?!?) definitely seems to be a waste of space at this point.

I do have a question, though. Considering the theme (Andy's backyard) and the location of TSL, is there any chance HISTK will remain?
You bet there will be tons of M&G's to compensate :banghead:

Daveeeeed

Does anyone here realize that that coaster probably will cost 35m-45m. A few buildings together probably another 35m-45m. Plus the new Toy Story Midway Mania track, detailing around the land, the flying saucer attraction. There is no reasonable way ON THIS PLANET that it would cost anything above 250m. You cannot compare this land with Pandora, or Cars Land, or Harry Potter, and Harry Potter Hogsmeade cost around that back in 2010. Add in inflation plus rising costs a land an 8th as good is not going to cost above that. Please tell me with a straight face you are not serious that Toy Story Land will cost half a billion dollars. 20th Century Fox world is going to cost 350m to make. AN ENTIRE PARK!!! Coasters like this are going to cost anywhere from 22-45m each. This coaster has barely any detailing add 5 million more and 20 if you eally must, but even with that there is no way the flying saucer ride is going to cost 100 million dollars. Where on Earth are you getting these figures from???

Please someone give me a rundown of what you think everything would cost to equal 500 million.

Toy Story Playland cost 85m this is going to be more costly yes, but 165 million is more than enough to add anything else that they have shown.

jt04

Does anyone here realize that that coaster probably will cost 35m-45m. A few buildings together probably another 35m-45m. Plus the new Toy Story Midway Mania track, detailing around the land, the flying saucer attraction. There is no reasonable way ON THIS PLANET that it would cost anything above 250m. You cannot compare this land with Pandora, or Cars Land, or Harry Potter, and Harry Potter Hogsmeade cost around that back in 2010. Add in inflation plus rising costs a land an 8th as good is not going to cost above that. Please tell me with a straight face you are not serious that Toy Story Land will cost half a billion dollars. 20th Century Fox world is going to cost 350m to make. AN ENTIRE PARK!!! Coasters like this are going to cost anywhere from 22-45m each. This coaster has barely any detailing add 5 million more and 20 if you eally must, but even with that there is no way the flying saucer ride is going to cost 100 million dollars. Where on Earth are you getting these figures from???

Please someone give me a rundown of what you think everything would cost to equal 500 million.

Toy Story Playland cost 85m this is going to be more costly yes, but 165 million is more than enough to add anything else that they have shown.

This land will be more detailed than the artwork can reflect. A lot of unique elements that have to be custom made.

This is not another dino-rama

RSoxNo1

Where are the walls near Toy Story Mania? Does it dead end before it gets wider? Is the Coca-Cool Set and old Backlot Tour entrance behind the construction walls?

jt04

Looks to me like they are using the LMA stadium infrastructure. No longer expect it will be removed. Rather highly modified.

So I guess we could say DHS 2.0 has already gone vertical. Which means we may be ahead of DL.

Rteetz

Where are the walls near Toy Story Mania? Does it dead end before it gets wider? Is the Coca-Cool Set and old Backlot Tour entrance behind the construction walls?
Coca-cola is gone. The walls go right through where that coca-cola stand was. The backlot entrance is behind walls.

Mike S

It's been discussed here extensively how WDI spends way more than necessary on their recent projects which shouldn't cost anywhere near what they do. A perfect example being the rumored cost of The Little Mermaid dark ride (the DCA version without all the rock work) actually being higher than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. $100m vs. around $75m.

PorterRedkey

That was never gonna pass the Disney Legal Team© not in the previous artwork. Also that gave them the freedom to ditch the expensive rockwork trenches - to get the project back down. As was it was heading towards $500m. How anyone can justify TSL at that cost ... no one can.

Unless WDI somehow manages to work out how to build D23 TSL for either $400m or less - it doesn't matter if you whisper sweet thoughts into any WDW executive ... not happening.

The path could have made it past the lawyers, but nets would be involved.

I am curious where the money is being spent. Surely the other ride doesn't cost over 20 - 35 million (which is still outrageous). Everest cost 100 million 10 years ago. So an exposed coaster with minimum rock work have should not cost 100 million now. Even if it cost them 150 million for the coaster, that is still over 200 million dollars for the rest of the land. In 2011, Hong Kong's whole TSL cost around 150 million. The number don't make sense to me.
If it cost 100 million to do a little rockwork in a few trenches, the Avatar land would cost billions for the mountains alone, without any attractions.

If cuts do need to be made, I would rather they cut the MnG's or some of the things that could be added later. Once the coaster is built, they can't go back and change it, but MnG's and restrooms and even shops could easily be added later.

The reason it upset me so much is because, without the immersive theming, the coaster becomes just another coaster. I can go to many places around here to ride coaster ( Holiday World, King's Island, Cedar Point, etc...) I go to Disney for the immersive theming and unique attractions, not to ride exposed steel coaster like they have at Six Flags.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Coca-cola is gone. The walls go right through where that coca-cola stand was. The backlot entrance is behind walls.
So are the Streets of America also leaving? I'm thinking they are but couldn't remember if they are or not. I actually always really liked them and it was one of the places in the park I really loved to go and relax and I especially liked the New York part because it just reminded me so much of the Cosby Show or something. I thought that little part of the park was actually pretty immersive if you paid closer attention to it. I will actually miss that part. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that though. I loved getting a cinnamon bun at the Writer's Shop and going back there on a bench and eating it.

Next Big Thing

So i've analyzed it a bit and thought it over and thinking back to how garish the other TS Lands are, i'm actually not bothered by them taking out some of the big tinker toy pieces. It actually may make the area slightly more aesthetically pleasing.

The loss of the rock work is another thing though. The only positive is it will be a quicker build without it.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

I am curious where the money is being spent. Surely the other ride doesn't cost over 20 - 35 million (which is still outrageous). Everest cost 100 million 10 years ago. So an exposed coaster with minimum rock work have should not cost 100 million now. Even if it cost them 150 million for the coaster, that is still over 200 million dollars for the rest of the land. In 2011, Hong Kong's whole TSL cost around 150 million. The number don't make sense to me.
If it cost 100 million to do a little rockwork in a few trenches, the Avatar land would cost billions for the mountains alone, without any attractions.

If cuts do need to be made, I would rather they cut the MnG's or some of the things that could be added later. Once the coaster is built, they can't go back and change it, but MnG's and restrooms and even shops could easily be added later.

The reason it upset me so much is because, without the immersive theming, the coaster becomes just another coaster. I can go to many places around here to ride coaster ( Holiday World, King's Island, Cedar Point, etc...) I go to Disney for the immersive theming and unique attractions, not to ride exposed steel coaster like they have at Six Flags.
All costs related to a project are typically lumped in. This includes the cost to move facilities and office space to new locations, the new theater built by RnRC to replace the one being torn out, demolition, Engineering, Architects, etc. The more theming that goes in, costs to design and create balloon, every change costs even more. Just the act of cutting pieces out costs money because someone has to redesign elements.

All that time and labor adds up fast at $50-$100/hr.

FigmentForver96

Hey funny story, Avatar is actually going to cost close to a billion when finished...or i think that's what they said.

Daveeeeed

LOL. Are you living in 2005?
Please give me a rundown of what what will cost.
Attractions, buildings, detailing etc.
Please also elaborate at how barely any detailing in an entire land would make that beyond high, for a flat ride at carnivals, and a small cheap bare-bones rollercoaster. 500 million would pay for Walt Disney Studios
It's been discussed here extensively how WDI spends way more than necessary on their recent projects which shouldn't cost anywhere near what they do. A perfect example being the rumored cost of The Little Mermaid dark ride (the DCA version without all the rock work) actually being higher than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. $100m vs. around $75m.
That is still not going to make a cheap roller coaster and a flat ride cost 500m. Please don't tell me you believe that An extreme over budget would be 500m for a land that is just on a slightly larger scale is not going to cost 500m. It is insane to believe that. I don't care how much WDI goes overbudget, there is zero chance the execs would even consider a budget like that. The Little Mermaid ride is probably better than that entire land. Even if they spent a 80 million on the coaster, 60 million on the flat ride, and another 60 million on buildings and another 60 on scenery, we're at 250m. Please give me a rundown of how much you think Disnwy will spend on a ride that could cost 30m. And teacups which could easily cost 15 million for both if they were on a tight budget and 20-25 for both on an over budget.
I will say it again, there is ZERO chance they will spend 500m. Even Pandora's rumored 850m budget makes more sense, there will be floating mountains, huge mountains in the back, an Eticket, a dticket, and tons of interactive elements. So you are saying Toy Story Land with an aticket and a cticket (as the coaster stands in the new concept art) is going to cost just 350 million dollars less???!!!! That is absurd. No way Disney would spend anywhere near 500m for a land when they could up it by around 65% and make it one of the best lands on Earth.
So how much do you think it would've cost for the D23 concept art? 650m? Just a crazy statement as it is. No Way that is happening.
Again give me a run down of what you think they'll cost, and I may reconsider my stance, but you can't just blindly say, because WDI cannot even close meet a budget is going tospend 500m on a puny land that is just to add more capacity to a park, and the land sucks, with not even a dticket. you could've built 5 everests in 2016 for that money. Put that into perspective. And all the while people says that Disney budget cuts too much, clearly they need to spend less then if that is actually true! Which is highly unlikely, but ether way I am sure it is higher than it should be, but is no where near 500m.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Hey funny story, Avatar is actually going to cost close to a billion when finished...or i think that's what they said.
Who said? And even so does that include Tiffins? The relocated Festival of Lion King? Rivers of Light? With or without that is an insane over budget, but you are comparing night and day, a land that has immense detail costing hundreds of millions compared to a land that's detail is probably under 10m even including the coaster, and somehow a 500m budget makes perfect sense?
Toy Story Playland has I guess to a's and a b ticket, while toy story land will have an a and a c. Plus there will be hardly any theming, no rock work, simple cheap buildings, Do you think that this coaster (probably the worst Disney one ever stateside after Gadget's Go Coaster & The Barnstormer.) do you seriously think that this coaster is going to cost 150m? It would have to cost at least that much to justify a 500m budget. This seriously makes zero sense, and I have yet to see the least bit proof as to why it would even cost 300m.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom