Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
That's what I meant. The delays and $800m for Shanghai were officially announced.

Everyone know the delays are fact and is effecting Disney's projected cash flow due to the park not being open. If I remember that the $800.00 was not based on the original estimate but on adding other attractions that were not in the original plan.

Mike S

Everyone know the delays are fact and is effecting Disney's projected cash flow due to the park not being open. If I remember that the $800.00 was not based on the original estimate but on adding other attractions that were not in the original plan.
And from what we've seen there's no evidence of new attractions being paid for by that $800m. @WDW1974 leaked the attraction plans for Shanghai years before it was official and there's nothing new added to his original statement. That's where we start scratching our heads.

lazyboy97o

Disney said they're additional attractions but photographs show nothing added beyond the original master plan.

tribbleorlfl

I thought it was definite that HISTK was going away. Outside from that, I've always found it oddly placed and, while I'm sure it was nice and shiny when it was new, the few times I've poked my head into it over the last few years it's looked pretty dingy and forgotten.
Thanks for the info. I know the press release said it was closing with the rest of SoA, I just didn't know if there were any whispers from the insiders about it getting a reprieve. To me, it's a no brainer to keep it, refresh it and integrate it back into TSL. Its location appears to be on the outer perimeter of the area, the themeing and scale is ready to go and fit into TSL w/ minimal modifications and it maintains an existing attraction geared towards little kids in a park that still won't have a lot to offer them even after TSL opens.

Yeah, HISTK was pretty awesome in its heyday. I was a big fan of the movie when it came out, so when the playground opened, I was all about it (even though I was a little older than the target demo for the attraction). Definitely has had the feeling of "dead man walking" in terms of maintenance the past year or so, though.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The tunnel looks very close to the stadium. That space is quite large and could be made star warsey quite easily. IMO.

It wouldn't make much sense to lock the design of a land in two different parks to something that just happened to be left behind in one of them. If it was a big empty show building maybe, but unless Star Wars Land is going to have a stadium it doesn't make much sense to save that structure.

Daveeeeed

1) It was supposed to cost around $400m for D23 announced version
2) There are no Teacup spin carnival rides there are some whip style rides. Aka Maters from DCA they aren't cheap because the extra cost is because they doubled it to help with FP+ and capacity. Plus they have had to pay for new design work on the attraction that is included in budget.
3) You are right they refuse to spend $500m hence the cuts to get the budget to look in better shape. After it spiraled out of control ...
4)You can thank Avatar, Shanghai, MM+, all which have had massive overruns in the budget. Which has caused this level of scrutiny on projects.
So the coaster is going to cost 200 million, and the spinner ride 100 million? I guess because there is so much detail that's going to be about 100 million not including the coaster, and the buildings another 100 million. Makes perfect sense.

dreamscometrue

$1 bn for two rides when the whole park was built in 1998 for $800m.
I see the entire land as a major attraction. I don't think simply counting the number of rides a la Six Flags is they way to look at this at all. Disney Parks have never been about ride count. Same thing for themed areas like Carsland and Diagon Alley...the few rides are cool, but I enjoy the theming and hanging out in the area much more than just riding Gingrott's or Radiator Springs Racers.

dreamscometrue

I am quite skeptical about the number of people who would have legit info on the budgets. Maybe half a dozen on these boards, if that. I think most people on here who quote numbers are doing what often happens on any discussion forum, simply repeating info they've read on the boards. Once it's repeated enough in print, people believe it as fact.This is just a variation of..."We want to hear what we already believe."...
http://www.ibtimes.com/internet-rum...ly-want-read-what-they-already-believe-693614

Cesar R M

So i've analyzed it a bit and thought it over and thinking back to how garish the other TS Lands are, i'm actually not bothered by them taking out some of the big tinker toy pieces. It actually may make the area slightly more aesthetically pleasing.

The loss of the rock work is another thing though. The only positive is it will be a quicker build without it.
HAH!

Agent_Smith_(Glassesless).jpg

This is Disney.. you really think they will build faster?

Cesar R M

It wouldn't make much sense to lock the design of a land in two different parks to something that just happened to be left behind in one of them. If it was a big empty show building maybe, but unless Star Wars Land is going to have a stadium it doesn't make much sense to save that structure.
if they were to build the attack of the clones arena where dooku holds the "heroes" tied.. perhaps. :hungover:

jt04

I could easily see the void under the stadium becoming a secret 'rebel base. The seats, or most of them could be removed. Just thinking abstractly due to the art work. We will know soon if the stadium is staying or going.

Daveeeeed

I am quite skeptical about the number of people who would have legit info on the budgets. Maybe half a dozen on these boards, if that. I think most people on here who quote numbers are doing what often happens on any discussion forum, simply repeating info they've read on the boards. Once it's repeated enough in print, people believe it as fact.This is just a variation of..."We want to hear what we already believe."...
http://www.ibtimes.com/internet-rum...ly-want-read-what-they-already-believe-693614
I completly agree wth you, people say things once they hear it so many times.
I beyond doubt know Disney has cost overruns, but no way Toy Story Land as it is now should cost anywhere close to 500 million as multiple people have said. Every comparison for Disney, Holiday World, Universal, Six Flags, past and present point to significantly less. Disney worries about money as it is just like any other company, and rightfully so, but Toy Story Lands that have been built again proves that Toy Story Land is not going to cost even 300 million. Only difference is really a couple of buildings and add a coaster. Personally if Disney has major cost overruns I see a 250m budget while if they do it very cost effective it could be as low as 175m, but that is definitely pushing it. When it is all said and done I personally see a 200m-250m range, but 250m for me seems what it will cost to build this the Disney way, but if they go back to the original plan 300m-350m seems about right, but either way it still should be much less, but based on past projects, those two estimates seem to be the most accurate.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
You know, I'm tired of the mindset that wants a Disney Park in numerous locations now, but refuses to finish building out the parks properly to really wow guests anymore. Disney would be a totally different place if they'd really develop a few locations fully before peppering the globe with lesser resorts... Remember kids, part of the reason Rome fell was it grew too expansive too fast and the depth and richness that once made it "great" shallowed quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom