Toy Story Land Already Disappointing?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
*insert Walt quote about daddy and kids finally having something fun to do together*

2.jpg

Fox&Hound

Wow this entire thread is so sad! It's not even built and people are already saying it will be disappointing?!?! If they were building toy story
Play land that people had experienced before then maybe the disdain would make sense. We are getting a roller coaster type ride people. Have some
Holiday cheer!

beast

Maybe the reason why they announce TSL along with SWL was to balance each other other. SWL I assume to be something along the lines of Avatar Land and other global Disney parks (Japan, etc) with state of the art attractions. If just SWL was announced alone, the noise would be that the park doesn't have kiddie rides. Here comes TSL - a place of fun and light-heartedness, beautifully executed, cool details, and more kid-friendly rides. If TSL was announced w/o SWL the masses would declare TSL a bust and not worth the effort for another Barnstormer. Point is, Disney knows. This two lands will compliment each other and the park. And I hope we get Cars Land in the Backlot area!

I agree. Disney is balancing the pre-teen and teen crowds. One is high tech, the other not so much, which is being done on purpose.
Toy Story Land will be just as immersive as Star Wars Land, but in an entirely different way. As you enter TSL you are essentially a toy
in Andy's backyard. You'll get to experience Andy's playtime.

I would like to see the Catastrophe Canyon area be turned into Cars Land and I would like to see the Streets Of America section be turned into Monstopolis.

beast

Hmm, your statements don't represent my feelings whatsoever.

1) I haven't said I am disappointed. I even said in my post, "Shouldn't we give it a chance before declaring it a failure", but the Iger era has been disappointing, so I am right to be skeptical.

2) New Fantasyland wasn't supposed to be thrilling. Neither was 7DMT. I get that. I'm not saying that. 7DMT is still disappointing as the centerpiece of Fantasyland. It's far too short and its potential from initial plans was not realized in reality.

3) If the Toy Story coaster is similar to 7DMT, it will be a disappointment as the "main" attraction in the newly themed land.

4) E-Ticket does not have to equal physically thrilling. When did I say that? That's not what E-Ticket means. The American Adventure is an E-Ticket attraction. I view Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Carousel of Progress as E-Ticket attractions.

My point is, if it has the details and is an amazing show, it can be called an E-Ticket. We can get that from Toy Story Land's main attraction if it's done the way Disney can do it....but it needs a budget.

So, which are you going to choose "give it a chance" or "be skeptical"? You're contradicting yourself. Also, you're being skeptical over one single rendering of TSL.

7DMT isn't the centerpiece of Fantasyland, Cinderella Castle is. It's the centerpiece of that land, that park, the WDW Resort, and basically of their movie division.

As far as 7DMT goes it wasn't even a part of the original New Fantasyland design. It was added to balance out all of the girl-centric additions that Disney was going to add to that land. The location of 7DMT is confined to that small location. There was nothing else
they were going to be able to do about the length of the ride. The focal point of that ride is the mine itself. That's what makes that
attraction special.

Toy Story Midway Mania will continue to be the main attraction of TSL. There is no height limitation on TSMM, but there will be one
on the roller coaster. The popularity of TSMM is the reason why they are adding a third track.

beast

Sorry, that's not how things work around here. ;)

And just for the record, the next major attraction coming to Magic Kingdom is going to be terrible, I can't believe they are actually going to waste their time and money building that. It looks like a cheap C ticket at best. ;)

I heard that the next major attraction coming to Magic Kingdom will be constructed with some metal and plastic. How dare they?
Why can't the coaster blow our minds? I mean, I'm not expecting it to be anything spectacular either, but we know they have the ability to make it more than just a nice family coaster. Does it need to be more than that? No, but it would be more creative and ambitious than what they appear to be going for.

The theme of the roller coaster is it's the roller coaster that Andy designed in his back yard. He used the toys, blocks, race track, etc., that he had in his collection to create his masterpiece. Using Slinky as the vehicle is the crown jewel to tie it back to Toy Story. I find that creative.

beast

Even with as snarky as I am about this project, I predict that 90+% of the people that go to WDW will love it. They will think it's fun and adorable. And many fun family pictures will be taken in this land.

I also predict I won't spend a lot of time in this land.

I predict I'll spend a lot of time in Toy Story Land (because I like the movies, particularly the second one) and very little time in Star Wars Land because I have no interest in Star Wars. I'll go on the Star Wars attractions, spend very little time looking around the area, and then move on.

Marc Davis Fan

I think it'll definitely serve its purpose as a fun place for families with young children.

My only concern is that it'll "pull a Dinoland," such that the backstory about Andy building everything is lost, and it'll be seen as non-immersive amusement park rides. They REALLY have to work hard in the "giant small objects" and visual cues in order to really make it feel like you've shrunk to the size of a toy. If they pull that aspect off well, it could be great fun to explore.

SherlockWayne

To me, Toy Story Land is already disappointing, just because it's being built. Judging by the Toy Story Lands at Hong Kong and Paris, to me (and this is only my personal opinion), the very concept is lazy and tacky. Big does not equal magical. Walt proved with his little park in California that the people respond to quality and detail. Disney should be striving for New Orleans Square, instead they are shooting for the theme park equivalent of a value resort. I understand that the park is desperately lacking in things for children to do, but lets be serious, you can give a kid an empty cardboard box, and they'll probably find it just as fun as an amazing dark ride (at least if they have a healthy imagination). Kids are easy to please, adults not so much. Walt was always shooting for the latter, it's so easy to see.

The Toy Story Land concept is easy and (should be) cheap. WDI will find a way to make it expensive, as they always do, but that's not necessarily going to translate to quality. Toy Story is an ok franchise, but I just really don't feel it lends itself well to the theme park environment, at least not to what used to be Disney quality standards.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
A disappointment before anything has begun? YES, YES, YES.

Also, I am declaring the iPhone 12s, the 2018 Cleveland Browns, my trip to Mars in 2067, and the entire year 2027 a disappointment.

Jokes on you, we already know the Browns will be a disappointment in 2018. That's not really breaking news :p

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Does anyone else think that this land should have more than just three rides? I wouldn't be so concerned about the quality of the rides we're getting if we were getting more of them. If they added a few simple kiddie rides alongside the main attractions of the land, I think that would make the land more worth the wait. They just seem to be doing the bare minimum with this one.

Does "Today's Disney" ever do more than the bare minimum anymore?.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom