Toy Story Land Already Disappointing?

Disneyhead'71

Well, in the D23 DHS announcement they did announce 2 E Tickets for the park. Not PIXAR, but still 2.

I think with 1-C Ticket (alien spinner), 1-C/D Ticket (Slinky), and a solid D in TSMM that TSL will be an OK land.

It's the aesthetic of the land I have my biggest issue with. I loath the style of the land.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We seem to be getting at least one new E (possibly 2) with SWL. What is the potential for another E with phase 3?
SW will have one E. Possibly E+. And probably a second.

But given the park in question and its needs, and given the potential for TSL not to mention the space available it's a tragedy it isn't getting a solid D family dark ride too or similar. A nice but not groundbreaking coaster and one flat ride is why I consider it lacklustre. Phase 3 has the potential for a D or possible E too, but why can't have both areas have one? There's no rule against it, nor one that says SWL gets an E so the other areas can't.

Nor is there a rule that says TSMM is the token dark ride. Not to mention its not new.

Infuriating at the potential that seems to be going to waste.

Kate F

Does anyone else think that this land should have more than just three rides? I wouldn't be so concerned about the quality of the rides we're getting if we were getting more of them. If they added a few simple kiddie rides alongside the main attractions of the land, I think that would make the land more worth the wait. They just seem to be doing the bare minimum with this one.

Disneyhead'71

Does anyone else think that this land should have more than just three rides? I wouldn't be so concerned about the quality of the rides we're getting if we were getting more of them. If they added a few simple kiddie rides alongside the main attractions of the land, I think that would make the land more worth the wait. They just seem to be doing the bare minimum with this one.
What if they added the Jet Pack spinner from Shanghai themed to Buzz Lightyear, and a Woody's Roundup carousel?

Kate F

What if they added the Jet Pack spinner from Shanghai themed to Buzz Lightyear, and a Woody's Roundup carousel?
Yes, both of those would be good additions. If they don't want to give us a new E-ticket with this land at all, they might as well fill up the land with more C and D tickets like these. I'm sure they have enough room for them.

I'm just disappointed that Disney expects us to wait so long for a couple of nice, but not amazing, family attractions. I know that they expect SWL to be the one that amazes, but they should be putting just as much effort into this one, even if the actual rides aren't as thrilling or spectacular.

rkleinlein

I agree it's bare minimum but I think three Toy Story attractions, plus the fourth in the MK, is more than enough. Especially since it doesn't look (at least based on the concept art) like the street-level atmosphere and theming is going to be anything remarkable (see Cars Land).

And I think the premise quantity would make up for lack of quality is off the mark. It should be all about quality. If the plan was for a couple of really good attractions--or even one that's brand new and fantastic--set in a top-notch atmosphere, nobody would be complaining (see Cars Land). But they're using one attraction that's already there (a good one but not new) and adding two more that, from the looks and descriptions, are not going to rise to the level of Disney's best.

I don't think anything here even tries to rise to Disney's best. I guess that's ok, but for a major expansion involving a brand new land it's only ok.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
SW will have one E. Possibly E+. And probably a second.

But given the park in question and its needs, and given the potential for TSL not to mention the space available it's a tragedy it isn't getting a solid D family dark ride too or similar. A nice but not groundbreaking coaster and one flat ride is why I consider it lacklustre. Phase 3 has the potential for a D or possible E too, but why can't have both areas have one? There's no rule against it, nor one that says SWL gets an E so the other areas can't.

Nor is there a rule that says TSMM is the token dark ride. Not to mention its not new.

Infuriating at the potential that seems to be going to waste.
See, you totally get it. I'm trying to reserve judgement, but a coaster that seems eerily similar to Barnstormer and what you call a flat ride is what I'm worried about.

As you said, why not multiple E-Tickets in both new areas? They have PLENTY of space, PLENTY of money, and PLENTY of talent. The only thing they seem to be lacking is a CEO to write the checks and take off the training wheels.

It's not like DHS has gotten a bunch of TLC in the last 20 years...

If EPCOT gets a meaningful update, I hope it gets 2 E-Tickets, at minimum.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
A disappointment before anything has begun? YES, YES, YES.

Also, I am declaring the iPhone 12s, the 2018 Cleveland Browns, my trip to Mars in 2067, and the entire year 2027 a disappointment.
Far less is known about those things than TSL.

I do understand your point and people gave it a chance, but too much has leaked. I hope it's awesome.

POLY LOVER

I hear yah, but I'm giving Disney the benefit of the doubt on this one. The figured that in the New Fantasyland they checked all the boxes from mid-Thrill (7dmt) to Kiddie (Aerial, on par with Pooh). I agree, Aerial is a kin to a moving diorama and has fallen short in most adults eyes, but it's colorful and musical and will make my 2 year old girl very happy when we go on in May. Mission accomplished. Diz took the sum and not the individual parts in developing something for (mostly) everyone in the new fantasyland.

well it is all about the kids so if it brings a smile to the kiddies faces then its a winner for me. As an adult I was kind of dissapointed. The funny thing is it would just take a few changes to make what is there better.

The Empress Lilly

A disappointment before anything has begun? YES, YES, YES.

Also, I am declaring the iPhone 12s, the 2018 Cleveland Browns, my trip to Mars in 2067, and the entire year 2027 a disappointment.
I'd be very disappointed if WDW announced it were to tear down SSE for a Chicken Little swing set. :)

I wouldn't wait to express my dismay, wouldn't wait for the final, last lick of paint and last shrub of landscaping to be finished so I knew the quality of the execution.

The Empress Lilly

well it is all about the kids so if it brings a smile to the kiddies faces then its a winner for me. As an adult I was kind of dissapointed. The funny thing is it would just take a few changes to make what is there better.
*insert Walt quote about daddy and kids finally having something fun to do together*

Kate F

I agree it's bare minimum but I think three Toy Story attractions, plus the fourth in the MK, is more than enough. Especially since it doesn't look (at least based on the concept art) like the street-level atmosphere and theming is going to be anything remarkable (see Cars Land).

And I think the premise quantity would make up for lack of quality is off the mark. It should be all about quality. If the plan was for a couple of really good attractions--or even one that's brand new and fantastic--set in a top-notch atmosphere, nobody would be complaining (see Cars Land). But they're using one attraction that's already there (a good one but not new) and adding two more that, from the looks and descriptions, are not going to rise to the level of Disney's best.

I don't think anything here even tries to rise to Disney's best. I guess that's ok, but for a major expansion involving a brand new land it's only ok.
I don't usually believe that quantity makes up for lack of quality. I don't like the idea of more Toy Story attractions either, but since the theming is pretty much set in stone at this point, and the land is focused around kid rides, I don't think it would hurt them too much to add a few more smaller rides (or wishfully bigger ones) along with the ones they have already announced.

I would love for them to add another E-ticket attraction and want the rides to be as top-notch as possible. But because most of us believe that this is not going to be Disney's best work, I think they should at least try to make the most out of the land and have more than just two new OK attractions to offer us, especially considering how long it is probably going to take them.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom