Toy Story Land Already Disappointing?

Goofyque'

I thought the point of Toy Story land was at least in part to address the lack of "Kiddie" rides. Rides do not have to be E ticket to be emjoyable. The Mater Junkyard Jamboree in DL is fabulous and fun for everyone! I certainly will not start crying out and renting my garments before the first shovel of dirt is turned. I think people are finding things to disapoint them way too much.

dizda

I thought the point of Toy Story land was at least in part to address the lack of "Kiddie" rides. Rides do not have to be E ticket to be emjoyable. The Mater Junkyard Jamboree in DL is fabulous and fun for everyone! I certainly will not start crying out and renting my garments before the first shovel of dirt is turned. I think people are finding things to disapoint them way too much.
Yes, TSL has a particular purpose, and it is too soon to be disappointed with the actual land that has yet to be built. I can respect the opinion of people who simply do not like the concept, but complaints about execution need to wait.

dizda

No, I'm not expecting it to be highly thrilling, but after being disappointed by the Mine Train, I at least hope this coaster has more going on for it than that. Aside from having nice animatronics, the Mine Train was just too short and too tame for me to really enjoy. But then again, I wasn't the target audience for that attraction.
The concept art and description seem quite different from 7DMT. However, it will still be a family coaster, so I anticipate a mild (as far as coasters go) experience. Of course, at this point, who knows what the actual experience will be?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It's definitely aimed at the younger crowd, but Mater's has a height limit, so presumable Buzz will, and I imagine the coaster will also so these rides will not be for absolutely everyone.

rkleinlein

I agree. Based on the descriptions and artwork, there doesn’t seem to be anything to get very excited about here. “Unambitious” and “underwhelming” sum it up. Given the lackluster Fantasyland expansion and the precedent in Paris (so ugly with embarrassingly simple ride concepts) I have little expectation that the real thing is going to impress. But I hope I’m wrong.

That said, I wouldn't want these early plans to be expanded. Enough Toy Story already.

I wonder why they opted for a Toy Story specific land with attractions and atmosphere drawn from a single movie series with limited possibilities (compared, for example, to Star Wars or Harry Potter), rather than a Pixar land that could draw inspiration from many different movies, characters, stories, visuals, etc.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

The one thing I really wish Disney would do at HS is make a Pixar themed sit down experience with Pixar characters. I think a Toy Story or just Pixar character breakfast in general would be awesome. We love doing chracter meals and I feel that one would make a great experience for Mouseketeers both young and old.

beast

I agree with that, but with the framework in place, I can kind of see the writing on the wall. Iger's reign has been full over underwhelming addition, so I am trying to reconcile what we saw with New Fantasyland with the plans I've seen for Toy Story. It seems a bit too unambitious.

I just wish we had a confirmed E-ticket type attraction instead of what we've seen so far.

The roller coaster in Toy Story Land will be a family coaster. It's not meant to go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. The entire area is the attraction. The rendering looks great and hopefully the finished product will be a great representation of it.

Were you actually expecting the "Seven Dwarfs Mine Train" coaster to be a thrill junkie coaster? The fact that it's in Fantasyland should
have told you that this wasn't going to be the case.

You will get E-tickets attractions in Star Wars Land and Pandora.

Matt_Black

I think a shovel hasnt moved yet and its far far far far far far far too early to judge.

No shovels?!? This looks like a job for...

shoveler.jpg

I wonder why they opted for a Toy Story specific land with attractions and atmosphere drawn from a single movie series with limited possibilities (compared, for example, to Star Wars or Harry Potter), rather than a Pixar land that could draw inspiration from many different movies, characters, stories, visuals, etc.

I don't believe Toy Story is as limited as you think. First, you have 3 (soon to be 4) films, two specials, and numerous shorts to mine. Then, you have at least two implied fictional settings that exist within the TS universe, Buzz Lightyear and Woody's Round-Up. (Remember, there was enough for them to get a full animated series out of Buzz). Combine that with possible licenses for whatever toy company Disney wants to pay money to and pastiche/ homages of toys that Disney doesn't want to pay for, and yeah, I think you've got enough to play with for one land, arguably on par with what's available to Universal with Harry Potter. Not nearly as much as Star Wars, but Star Wars has been cranking out material for nearly four decades.

Disneyhead'71

TSL is what it is. The flat should be fun enough. But I'm afraid it will have a more carny feel than it's Mater's counterpart on the left coast.

Slinky's is a bare steel family coaster. Roughly the same capacity as 7DMT. But with MUCH less theming.

The good thing about TSL is it will cost Disney a quarter what NFL cost and it won't take 5 years to build.

andy773

Look at Cars Land in DisneyLand. The Cars franchise had one great move, one average sequel (Cars 2), and one average spin-off (Planes); and Cars Land is a huge success. I think they are going for the same idea at Disney World.

Matt_Black

Look at Cars Land in DisneyLand. The Cars franchise had one great move, one average sequel (Cars 2), and one average spin-off (Planes); and Cars Land is a huge success. I think they are going for the same idea at Disney World.

Even their "great" movie is considered one of the weakest of Pixar's films.

MrHappy

They haven't given any real specifics whatsoever.

DHS is in dire need of attractions that all ages can ride, without height restrictions.
Maybe the reason why they announce TSL along with SWL was to balance each other other. SWL I assume to be something along the lines of Avatar Land and other global Disney parks (Japan, etc) with state of the art attractions. If just SWL was announced alone, the noise would be that the park doesn't have kiddie rides. Here comes TSL - a place of fun and light-heartedness, beautifully executed, cool details, and more kid-friendly rides. If TSL was announced w/o SWL the masses would declare TSL a bust and not worth the effort for another Barnstormer. Point is, Disney knows. This two lands will compliment each other and the park. And I hope we get Cars Land in the Backlot area!

MrHappy

Even their "great" movie is considered one of the weakest of Pixar's films.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If my son is the one beholding, Cars is the greatest movie of all time and deserves an entire park dedicated to it. Seeing videos of Carsland in DL....makes me want a Cars land at WDW for sure! I'd even take a Brother Bear attraction (CA has something I think), Oliver & Co attraction, and other lesser knowns on a much smaller scale just to show the imagination of how these films can live off of the big screen.

MrHappy

That's less and less likely.
Yeah, I suppose. But considering it's DHS, it would have to be a Movie based attraction...to me, Cars wins. But will be fine as long as what ever it is lives up to the standards of some of Disney's overseas parks.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
The roller coaster in Toy Story Land will be a family coaster. It's not meant to go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. The entire area is the attraction. The rendering looks great and hopefully the finished product will be a great representation of it.

Were you actually expecting the "Seven Dwarfs Mine Train" coaster to be a thrill junkie coaster? The fact that it's in Fantasyland should
have told you that this wasn't going to be the case.

You will get E-tickets attractions in Star Wars Land and Pandora.
Hmm, your statements don't represent my feelings whatsoever.

1) I haven't said I am disappointed. I even said in my post, "Shouldn't we give it a chance before declaring it a failure", but the Iger era has been disappointing, so I am right to be skeptical.

2) New Fantasyland wasn't supposed to be thrilling. Neither was 7DMT. I get that. I'm not saying that. 7DMT is still disappointing as the centerpiece of Fantasyland. It's far too short and its potential from initial plans was not realized in reality.

3) If the Toy Story coaster is similar to 7DMT, it will be a disappointment as the "main" attraction in the newly themed land.

4) E-Ticket does not have to equal physically thrilling. When did I say that? That's not what E-Ticket means. The American Adventure is an E-Ticket attraction. I view Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Carousel of Progress as E-Ticket attractions.

My point is, if it has the details and is an amazing show, it can be called an E-Ticket. We can get that from Toy Story Land's main attraction if it's done the way Disney can do it....but it needs a budget.

Last edited:

rkleinlein

Yes, LOOK at Cars Land: It's amazing. The theming and atmosphere are top-notch and the new headline attraction is E-ticket. The canyon and the town so well done. They took a fair movie but made it into something spectacular. I've never even seen Cars, but love Cars Land. It's impressive. It wows.

Then go look at Toy Story Playland in Paris: The theming and atmosphere are cheap and tacky, with no originality, nothing special, nothing that wows. A few giant plastic toys might be fun, but a whole land of them scattered around mediocre attractions doesn't make me want to go. And I like Toy Story.

Then, look again at the Toy Story Land concept art. I worry that it's going to be more like Toy Story Playland, Paris and less like Cars Land, California. And in the wake of New Fantasyland I don't have high hopes. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm glad they're building something more for the kids at Hollywood Studios--it's desperately needed. But I think they would have had more options and more potential to wow with a Pixar Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom