Toy Story Land Already Disappointing?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Why can't the slinky coaster be an E ticket?
Precisely what I'm hoping.

Disney needs to get back to making rides with superior show quality and theming. Thrilling isn't even a factor to me in a great show. It can be an element, but doesn't have to be there.

I actually think 7DMT IS an E-ticket attraction if it has one more show scene and the ending isn't slapped up to the side of the braking sequence.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Why would you hope for that when we basically know it will not be? It may be a great family coaster, but if you think it is going to be an E, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Again, why do people automatically think a family coaster can't be an E-Ticket? I know it's not going to be a fast coaster with loops and drops. It doesn't need that to be great.

As I said, 7DMT IS an E-Ticket with another show scene and a better finale.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Because there is nothing cutting edge about it....nothing that is going to blow our minds.

I think it will be a great family coaster, but I am also realistic to understand what we are about to get.
I disagree. Any new Disney ride should have elements, smaller or large, that separate it from a standard meh ride. Great queues, great themes, and great execution can make even the simplest ride really good.

In the Iger era, we haven't seen Disney's talent and ability to make great attractions shine through. Everything about New Fantasyland was slightly underwhelming besides the added space (desperately needed). 7DMT looks beautiful, but is about 2 minutes too short. Ariel's Undersea Adventure has an incredible facade and queue, but it leaves a lot to be desired inside.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I disagree. Any new Disney ride should have elements, smaller or large, that separate it from a standard meh ride. Great queues, great themes, and great execution can make even the simplest ride really good.

In the Iger era, we haven't seen Disney's talent and ability to make great attractions shine through. Everything about New Fantasyland was slightly underwhelming besides the added space (desperately needed). 7DMT looks beautiful, but is about 2 minutes too short. Ariel's Undersea Adventure has an incredible facade and queue, but it leaves a lot to be desired inside.

Just because the ride itself will (may) look great, with great queues, theming, some nice elements, great execution, etc. doesn't make it an E. An E is on the level of Splash Mountain...and I find it hard to believe (almost impossible) that this coaster will be on that level.

A C or D can still be a great addition if done right. Everything doesn't have to be an E with the proper execution.

POLY LOVER

can we at least wait until the race is over before we declare the winniers and losers? Give them a chance to succeed or fail but lets give them a chance.

POLY LOVER

My question is how one ride can be so on target(7dmt) and the other be so off(Ariel), its like 2 different companys designed the rides in a vacum?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
can we at least wait until the race is over before we declare the winniers and losers? Give them a chance to succeed or fail but lets give them a chance.

Sorry, that's not how things work around here. ;)

And just for the record, the next major attraction coming to Magic Kingdom is going to be terrible, I can't believe they are actually going to waste their time and money building that. It looks like a cheap C ticket at best. ;)

MrHappy

My question is how one ride can be so on target(7dmt) and the other be so off(Ariel), its like 2 different companys designed the rides in a vacum?
I hear yah, but I'm giving Disney the benefit of the doubt on this one. The figured that in the New Fantasyland they checked all the boxes from mid-Thrill (7dmt) to Kiddie (Aerial, on par with Pooh). I agree, Aerial is a kin to a moving diorama and has fallen short in most adults eyes, but it's colorful and musical and will make my 2 year old girl very happy when we go on in May. Mission accomplished. Diz took the sum and not the individual parts in developing something for (mostly) everyone in the new fantasyland.

Kate F

Because there is nothing cutting edge about it....nothing that is going to blow our minds.

I think it will be a great family coaster, but I am also realistic to understand what we are about to get.
Why can't the coaster blow our minds? I mean, I'm not expecting it to be anything spectacular either, but we know they have the ability to make it more than just a nice family coaster. Does it need to be more than that? No, but it would be more creative and ambitious than what they appear to be going for.

IAmFloridaBorn

Sorry about my thread earlier! I had copied/pasted a thread from another forum and accidentally put it here!

Anyway, I was doing some reading on Toy Story Land and feel like it's already being boiled down to a "Kiddie coaster" and an extension to TSMM.

Although I am slightly disappointed at the current plans, shouldn't we give it a chance before declaring it a failure? I am reading rumblings that it's not enough and Star Wars will have to "make up" for the lack of new E-Tickets in Toy Story.

I am hoping we don't essentially get a Barnstormer and another level in TSMM.

Your thoughts?
Unlike others , I don't think it is too early to make a judgement call about the product itself. I personally feel this Toy Story expansion is underwhelming. A Kiddie Coaster, another Kiddie Ride, and an Expansion of an Overly Crowded ride. Sounds great right?

I am excited for anything new, especially Toy Story. But I think they are doing Toy Story short.

As far as the attraction experiences themselves? Well of course we can't decide until we have experienced such.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Just because the ride itself will (may) look great, with great queues, theming, some nice elements, great execution, etc. doesn't make it an E. An E is on the level of Splash Mountain...and I find it hard to believe (almost impossible) that this coaster will be on that level.

A C or D can still be a great addition if done right. Everything doesn't have to be an E with the proper execution.
Agreed, but a completely new land deserves an E Ticket, even if your definition is as ambitious as Splash Mountain. They have the space. They have the money. They have the talent.

I think 7DMT is an E-ticket that unfortunately got cut down to a solid D. Not thrilling, but definitely E-ticket potential.

Kate F

Whether you are happy with the new family rides or not, I don't think anyone can deny that the concept of the land as a whole seems very unambiguous. I know, I know, we haven't even seen it yet, we can't judge, but I just don't think you can make a proper, immersive land with this franchise. The rides I'm sure will be nice, but the concepts I have seen of the land so far just don't excite. Overall, yes we need family rides, but they could have been much more creative with the idea of the land.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I think perhaps much like NFL, the backlot has so much potential and space, the budget is big and the timescale is long. The end result should be at least an E, backed up with at least two Ds. That isn't what's coming. And that may be the issue.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I think perhaps much like NFL, the backlot has so much potential and space, the budget is big and the timescale is long. The end result should be at least an E, backed up with at least two Ds. That isn't what's coming. And that may be the issue.
Agreed. That is my issue anyway. The lack of new true E-Tickets is severely lacking and not what Disney used to be all about.

Now, it's almost obvious they are doing things with a lack of funds and one hand tied behind their backs. The frustrating part is that they've never been richer or more successful financially.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

We seem to be getting at least one new E (possibly 2) with SWL. What is the potential for another E with phase 3?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom