Toontown expansion into the Speedway Area

tirian

Legacy said:
Two things for a project I had heard (on this board, from Lee... from a while ago):

It will have a height restriction & involved water.

My money leans towards Bald Mountain... ie the Villian's Ride.

That's what I personally want...

Every concept mentioned in my department (which is not Imagineering) has involved a height restriction.

Hint: When construction began on the Hundred Acre Wood playground, word was that it was partly built to provide activities for younger children who didn't meet the height requirement on the upcoming attraction.

Madison

Scar Junior said:
We have a coaster here in a (ridiculously crappy) Cedar Fair owned park in MN. The official name is "The High Roller" but everyone refers to it as "The Wooden Roller Coaster" and it has a very similar design. It was from the 1920s or 1930s.

It opened in 1976.

The Excavator 'wooden' coaster in Animal Kingdom was meant to be like California Screamin' is today; a steel roller coaster with steel supports meant to evoke a wooden ride. Disney wouldn't dare build a real wooden roller coaster.

Edited to add: The Speedway takes up an enormous plot of land that's some twice the size of the existing Toontown. I'd hate to see it wasted on trying to legitimize the farce that is Toontown, so instead I'd like for them to develop the plot and Toontown into something new. Move the notion of Toontown to the Disney Studios so that kids there have something to do that won't bore them to tears or leave them waiting on a bench with turkey leg and kiss Spielberg's behind or whatever needs to happen to realize the enormous potential in a themed area evoking Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Scar Junior

Madison said:
It opened in 1976.

The Excavator 'wooden' coaster in Animal Kingdom was meant to be like California Screamin' is today; a steel roller coaster with steel supports meant to evoke a wooden ride. Disney wouldn't dare build a real wooden roller coaster.

Right, but the MN coaster was moved from out east. It is originally from the 20s or 30s. But that's neither here nor there.

I didn't say it was going to be a "wooden" coaster. Obviously they wouldn't build a wooden coaster. I might be wrong in saying that it was meant to emulate the old wooden coasters. That was what my managers at AK had told me. I had also heard that it was to be like Screamin' but that was quickly dismissed.

Madison

Scar Junior said:
Right, but the MN coaster was moved from out east. It is originally from the 20s or 30s. But that's neither here nor there.

I didn't say it was going to be a "wooden" coaster. Obviously they wouldn't build a wooden coaster. I might be wrong in saying that it was meant to emulate the old wooden coasters. That was what my managers at AK had told me. I had also heard that it was to be like Screamin' but that was quickly dismissed.

Screamin' is a steel coaster meant to evoke a wooden coaster. It is exactly what Excavator was meant to be, though they may have had different layouts. I wasn't arguing the point so much as I was providing an example of what the finished product may have been like.

High Roller was not moved from anywhere. It was built in place in 1976 by International Amusement Devices. The first wooden roller coaster to be relocated was the Playland Rocket/Knoebel's Phoenix and that didn't happen until 1985. Promise.

http://www.rcdb.com/id117.htm

hammysammy59

My beef with Chester'n'Hester is it's just so much wasted potential. A REAL dinosaur themed Disney park SHOULD be amazing, not a quaint throwback to greasy carnivals.

CaptainMichael

hammysammy59 said:
My beef with Chester'n'Hester is it's just so much wasted potential. A REAL dinosaur themed Disney park SHOULD be amazing, not a quaint throwback to greasy carnivals.
I completely agree. It was a wasted opportunity...but perhaps it has just been delayed...

I don't see Dinorama existing 25-50 years from now...

HokieDevil

STR8FAN2005 said:
I completely agree. It was a wasted opportunity...but perhaps it has just been delayed...

I don't see Dinorama existing 25-50 years from now...

I guess I am stupidly optomistic but I am hoping for an earlier exit than in the next 25-50 years...maybe something like the next 5-10

Yen_Sid1

SkipKid said:
All theming issues aside, there is one thing about that place that I can't stand, which is the cheap carny games scattered throughout it. I don't believe it's place is in Walt Disney World.

This of course is my opinion, and I'd like to hear from others if they think this fits with their view of the area's theme, or are you also against it?

I'm totally against it. Cheap carny games should be on 192 or the I-Drive area not in Walt Disney World. It was just a cheap fix and trying to save money in the short term. BUt it always come back to bite them. You wouldn't believe how many high level people lost their jobs because of that area.

Did you ever see that movie "The Money Pit" ? That it is exactly what Primeval Whirl is, taking up all the repair money in the AK. If you ever wonder why it takes so long to fix anything at Dinosaur, Kali, or Everest. Dinorama swallows up all the money and resources.

Lee

Adventurer
You have to keep in mind the reason for Dinorama's existence. The park needed capacity and something for kids in a hurry, without having a large budget for a huge, deeply-themed land.
Dinoland, sort of like Bug's Land at DCA serves that purpose, and does it pretty well.

Issues aside, I like Dinorama. I get the theme, and find it pretty well done.

It's also important to remember that there is nothing in Dinorama that can't be removed very quickly, including the portable coasters, if and when a bigger or better plan comes along.

:wave:

CaptainMichael

Yen_Sid1 said:
Did you ever see that movie "The Money Pit" ? That it is exactly what Primeval Whirl is, taking up all the repair money in the AK. If you ever wonder why it takes so long to fix anything at Dinosaur, Kali, or Everest. Dinorama swallows up all the money and resources.
You would think that the high maintenance costs would give Disney an excuse to shut it down...I guess they were/are waiting for more attractions before they start over with this area.

kap91

In my opinion, Chester and Hesters is themed like a cheep, cheasy, carnival because it actually is a cheep, cheasy carnival. In my opinion Disney wanted to have an expansion for Dinoland and didn't want to spend a lot of money so they came up with a cheep carnival theme and then built a cheap carnival. That's all Chester and Hesters is. That doesn't mean though that a spinning coaster isn't fun.

But back to the original topic. I'd rather see the speedway revamped and made into a longer version like Disneyland's than see it taken away for a toontown expansion.

Skippy

kap91 said:
But back to the original topic. I'd rather see the speedway revamped and made into a longer version like Disneyland's than see it taken away for a toontown expansion.
Oh so thats what the topic was... :lol: I have never been to Disneyland's, does it still use the same ride system? Personally, I'd like an improvement to the vehicles/track during a refrub.

Herk

I say remove both Splash Mountain and Space Mountain - both are totally overated and don't feel like they belong. splash Mtn, because flume rides are so 20th Centuary and also Space Mtn as it is so basic concept it makes me laugh. I sometimes wonder why these attractions didn't go away years ago.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Herk said:
I say remove both Splash Mountain and Space Mountain - both are totally overated and don't feel like they belong. splash Mtn, because flume rides are so 20th Centuary and also Space Mtn as it is so basic concept it makes me laugh. I sometimes wonder why these attractions didn't go away years ago.
Er... because they are imensley popular?

comics101

Herk said:

Splash Mtn, at least in my oppinion, is a much better flume ride than most other flume rides. It has an excellent theme and when you get on the inside of the Mountain it's just fun. Go on Dudly Do Right in IOA and you'll see what I mean. I was extreamly dissipointed, expecting it to be like Splash, and it looked a lot cheaper. Space Mtn is just fun, but I thought I read it was supposed to be getting a refurb soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom