News Tomorrowland love

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, February 5, 2020. A November 2019 post mentioned that Mickey's Star Traders in Tomorrowland had changed to just "Star Traders," which is correct. The futuristic ("Flash Gordon" style) wall murals inside Star Traders has been covered by a cloth overlay. See photos below. (My apologies if this has been noted before.)

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

bcoachable

JMHO, but to me the obvious answer is usually the correct one. All that '94 crap sucks. Make it look clean and retro for the next generation
Yea, I get it, and I am glad to see the willingness to do more in the name of theme. It seems like a lot of money just to make something that once was an acceptable look, look better. Structure replacement will cost a bit more than paint!

Castle Cake Apologist

Photo update as of Wednesday, February 5, 2020. A November 2019 post mentioned that Mickey's Star Traders in Tomorrowland had changed to just "Star Traders," which is correct. The futuristic ("Flash Gordon" style) wall murals inside Star Traders has been covered by a cloth overlay. See photos below. (My apologies if this has been noted before.)

View attachment 447125

View attachment 447126

Oh man, that new sign is gorgeous. I noticed they also got rid of the Mickey-shaped "planet" that the other lights used to surround.

ImperfectPixie

Oh man, that new sign is gorgeous. I noticed they also got rid of the Mickey-shaped "planet" that the other lights used to surround.
Meh. It's a vacuum-formed plastic sign. Not all that impressive in the sign world, to be honest. It does look nice though. I'd love to see them play with clear, laser-cut acrylic and edge-lighting somewhere...the visual effect is awesome because only the cut edges of the acrylic catch and enhance the light, so it looks like it's just light floating in the middle of nothing.

Castle Cake Apologist

Meh. It's a vacuum-formed plastic sign. Not all that impressive in the sign world, to be honest. It does look nice though. I'd love to see them play with clear, laser-cut acrylic and edge-lighting somewhere...the visual effect is awesome because only the cut edges of the acrylic catch and enhance the light, so it looks like it's just light floating in the middle of nothing.

I more meant the design of the sign than the construction of it. I'm a huge fan of that font and color choice.

It looks like it's been there since 1975 in the best way.

MadTeacup

Just wondering why would Disney Parks shell out money to switch these out...
I know theming reasons and all that... but could there be another component as to why these are being switched out?
The ones that they are being replaced seem to have "parts" that if something went wrong, might fall off and injure someone below... The new version, not so much...
Are the lawyers for the parks asking that anything above guests heads be constructed to a structurally higher standard today than in years past?
They are simply switching them to change the aesthetic (I don't consider it theming). There is nothing more structurally sound about the "new" column facades - or if there is, it's rather negligible.

N2dru

So with TL reverting to pre 94 theming...what's to become of the Buck Roger's themed Astro Orbiter with the colorful planets and rockets? It doesn't seem to fit the aesthetic they are heading towards. Do you think it will be rethemed to match? Just wondering.

MadTeacup

So with TL reverting to pre 94 theming...what's to become of the Buck Roger's themed Astro Orbiter with the colorful planets and rockets? It doesn't seem to fit the aesthetic they are heading towards. Do you think it will be rethemed to match? Just wondering.
I'm pretty sure this question was answered back when they painted the rockets teal and added color to the rocket tower structure. AO was my favorite visual update from TL94 and I hope it remains mostly unchanged.

999th Happy Haunt

I'm pretty sure this question was answered back when they painted the rockets teal and added color to the rocket tower structure. AO was my favorite visual update from TL94 and I hope it remains mostly unchanged.
The planets that decorate it add a nice pop pf color to the middle of the land while not looking too toylike. Paint some of the silver parts white and it will be really nice looking.

General Mayhem

The Light and Power building should be reduced. It's too tall, there's empty space with the arcade gone, and it could cause a bottleneck for Tron.
(Plus the art deco clashes with Space too much).
View attachment 447459
I think it would be nice if they demoed the curved roof and replaced it with an extension of the lower tiered roof the original building has.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom