News Tomorrowland love

trainplane3

The whole of “Pantera Entertainment” is one guy in his house and then he just farms out the coding to individual people (3rd parties) around the world. Not like a huge company or anything, but honestly not a bad or uncommon business model. But if it’s Pantera, you can bet that it’s the same thing with a different name and lots of upgrades. He wouldn’t dump the engine.
Super interesting. I've had emails back and forth with someone there but I'll assume it's the only "someone" there. And that's not a bad thing. It's definitely Pantera though, they're the main person online during the tests. The engine is Unreal 4 so that's not a true bad thing since it's pretty powerful.

He did ask how I launched the TL 1979 project even though the park was "closed" which I thought was somewhat funny. I really like the project so far but I'm extremely cautious of indie groups once they start asking for money.

Incomudro

okay bare with me...after being there today I don't care for how its looking Im sorry to say, was not impressed with any of it. I kept asking myself where are they going with this ugly place. Nothing is really improving, it looks like they just painted things over, removed some things, and leaving the fins white? I know the original land was mostly white and that looked good back then, but somehow now its just not......star traders has been reduced to barren and blank walls and a boring aesthetic for a store, stripped down to nothing! It has half the merch it use to have! They could have done something really cool and space like in there.

This piecemeal project has been ongoing for how long now? I know most here still say its not done,,,but Im not seeing anything that looks all that good..........the stitch facade looks lousy which doesn't help either.

sorry but I left there today disappointed with it even more, its all just meh. Maybe the massive crowds (wow was it bad) has me disenchanted and worn out but I just wish they would do something on the level of 94's new tomorrowland, an actual full scale concept.
It was discussed some posts back I think but do we know if this is an actual Imagineering project? or just local management choices?

I believe it is going to work when Tron is complete, and that is the main reason for the change.
The steampunk look (which I liked) just wouldn't work with Tron - unless they steampunked Tron.
I have faith that it will all come together very nicely.

MadTeacup

I believe it is going to work when Tron is complete, and that is the main reason for the change.
The steampunk look (which I liked) just wouldn't work with Tron - unless they steampunked Tron.
I have faith that it will all come together very nicely.
The problem is that at this rate, it appears they're only removing about 50% of the steampunk decoration and painting the rest of it white. They're doing half of what they need to do on a themed land that was only half completed in '94 which means they're only putting in 25% of the effort they should be. Personally, I want to see them go all or none with this update and am hoping some of the things painted white will be removed as the timeline proceeds.

KBLovedDisney

Rip Van Winkle 😂
It took me reading that out loud to get that "Rip" Van Winkle actually meant Rest In Peace Van Winkle...

source.gif

rct247

I just have to say this...

Discoveryland is best described as "steampunk" because it is retrofuturism based off the Victorian era with H.G. Wells and Jules Verne.

Tomorrowland '94 is best described as "dieselpunk" because it is retrofuturism based on the era from the war years to the 1950s that was similar to Buck Rogers and The Rocketeer.

Tomorrowland '55 was best described as the "atomic age" of retrofuturism of the 1950s.

Tomorrowland '67 was is in the "space age" from the 60s that is what we associate googie architecture and the Jetsons.

"Brutalism" is from the 1970s but also has a lot of ties to Soviet era futurism.

"Cyberpunk" is the dystopian future that took off in the 1980s and early 90s that we see in movies like Blade Runner.

jt04

I just have to say this...

Discoveryland is best described as "steampunk" because it is retrofuturism based off the Victorian era with H.G. Wells and Jules Verne.

Tomorrowland '94 is best described as "dieselpunk" because it is retrofuturism based on the era from the war years to the 1950s that was similar to Buck Rogers and The Rocketeer.

Tomorrowland '55 was best described as the "atomic age" of retrofuturism of the 1950s.

Tomorrowland '67 was is in the "space age" from the 60s that is what we associate googie architecture and the Jetsons.

"Brutalism" is from the 1970s but also has a lot of ties to Soviet era futurism.

"Cyberpunk" is the dystopian future that took off in the 1980s and early 90s that we see in movies like Blade Runner.

A mashup of atomic age and space age is ideal for the WDW version IMO

deWild

I'm sad seeing Tomorrowland '94 go. I loved the Sci-Fi City concept. I know many of the elements had that industrial 1930s/1940s futuristic look, they could have been changed ever so slightly to be more modern. The removal of the light columns outside of Monsters was a great example of something that could have been kept. View attachment 446726
It just looked so vibrant and exciting.

View attachment 446720
That second picture is borderline the most boring entrance to a land I’ve seen.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, February 5, 2020. As mentioned previously, the roof supports for the PeopleMover ride are being returned to their original 1970's clean shape. Several construction scrims are in place along the ride's route in Tomorrowland.

IMG_2758.JPG

As a comparison, here is what the roof supports looked like in 2016. (Ignore the color of the rocks....)

People Mover 2016.JPG

And here is the refurbished look today:

IMG_2759.JPG

The roof supports are in various states of refurbishment and the progression can be viewed here. Stripped to the bare bones, here are the actual roof supports.

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2765.JPG

Wire mesh is molded around the roof supports to provide the exterior shape.

IMG_2767.JPG

A cement coating is applied....

IMG_2768.JPG

And finally, the shape is sculpted before painting.

IMG_2769.JPG

bcoachable

Just wondering why would Disney Parks shell out money to switch these out...
I know theming reasons and all that... but could there be another component as to why these are being switched out?
The ones that they are being replaced seem to have "parts" that if something went wrong, might fall off and injure someone below... The new version, not so much...
Are the lawyers for the parks asking that anything above guests heads be constructed to a structurally higher standard today than in years past?

FigmentFan82

Just wondering why would Disney Parks shell out money to switch these out...
I know theming reasons and all that... but could there be another component as to why these are being switched out?
The ones that they are being replaced seem to have "parts" that if something went wrong, might fall off and injure someone below... The new version, not so much...
Are the lawyers for the parks asking that anything above guests heads be constructed to a structurally higher standard today than in years past?
JMHO, but to me the obvious answer is usually the correct one. All that '94 crap sucks. Make it look clean and retro for the next generation

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom