News Tomorrowland love

Bocabear

Man and people say WDW's is a clash of different styles...
they are just repeating a motif used at their Tomorrowland Terrace Stage...but what is worse is the use of just one singular element on each side and the scale of them... It is just rather cheap looking and unfinished....
Tomorrowland Terrace Stage.jpg

Sir_Cliff

they are just repeating a motif used at their Tomorrowland Terrace Stage...but what is worse is the use of just one singular element on each side and the scale of them... It is just rather cheap looking and unfinished....
View attachment 428108
I think/hope the concept art is just poorly executed and the final result will turn out looking less cheap and tacked on. Overlaying this onto old concept art with the previous TL color scheme makes the whole thing look disjointed for a start.

Animaniac93-98

I certainly hope so. I've been worried that its days are numbered for a few years now. The fact that they've let it get to this point is a bad sign.

It's been on the chopping block since the post-9/11 tourist slump.

Disney has never been able to make up its mind about what to do with it. Scrap it? Updated it? Keep it running until we decide?

There seems to be a small group of employees who have been fighting an uphill battle to justify its existence, which is why we'll periodically get things like the flashy new paint job on the exterior.

MotherOfBirds

It's been on the chopping block since the post-9/11 tourist slump.

Disney has never been able to make up its mind about what to do with it. Scrap it? Updated it? Keep it running until we decide?

There seems to be a small group of employees who have been fighting an uphill battle to justify its existence, which is why we'll periodically get things like the flashy new paint job on the exterior.

A lot of management can't see the value in attractions that aren't D/E or big shows they can attach dessert parties to. It's pretty much the last piece of old-school Walt you'll find in WDW. If they really insist on removing it, it should either go to Epcot or perhaps the Disney museum. I get that it's a prime chunk of real estate, but some things are more important than increasing capacity.

DisneyOutsider

A lot of management can't see the value in attractions that aren't D/E or big shows they can attach dessert parties to. It's pretty much the last piece of old-school Walt you'll find in WDW. If they really insist on removing it, it should either go to Epcot or perhaps the Disney museum. I get that it's a prime chunk of real estate, but some things are more important than increasing capacity.

The only attraction at WDW that Walt personally worked on.

UNCgolf

CoP has one of the best hourly capacities of any WDW attraction. It's doubtful a new build would be able to match or better it.

That's theoretical capacity, though -- it doesn't matter if no one actually gets on. I am a huge fan of Carousel of Progress. It might be my favorite attraction at the Magic Kingdom and I will never visit without seeing it (especially since I never know if it will still be there when I go back). But last time I was there, despite the park being packed, there was no line at all for CoP and the theater I was in was only about 20% full.

If they built something with 50% of the hourly capacity but it was regularly full, it would still remove more people from the parks at any given time than CoP currently does. That would be their argument for a replacement.

Personally I'd like to see a totally new final section while leaving the first three untouched (other than maintenance/upgrades). I realize that would make for a bizarre 80 year leap from 1940 to 2020, and it's more likely they'd do a significant overhaul of everything, but those original three parts are so good and a huge part of the attraction's charm (not to mention Walt Disney was heavily involved in designing them himself). I don't want to lose them. The other great option would be to return the finale to its original 1960 setting and have it as a retro look into the past, then have some sort of post show that deals with the future, but there's absolutely no chance that ever happens.

lazyboy97o

That's theoretical capacity, though -- it doesn't matter if no one actually gets on. I am a huge fan of Carousel of Progress. It might be my favorite attraction at the Magic Kingdom and I will never visit without seeing it (especially since I never know if it will still be there when I go back). But last time I was there, despite the park being packed, there was no line at all for CoP and the theater I was in was only about 20% full.

If they built something with 50% of the hourly capacity but it was regularly full, it would still remove more people from the parks at any given time than CoP currently does. That would be their argument for a replacement.
The Magic Kingdom has abandoned guest space. They're not overly interested in increasing capacity.

UNCgolf

The Magic Kingdom has abandoned guest space. They're not overly interested in increasing capacity.

I agree. Magic Kingdom is the one park that doesn't really need an increase in capacity (and will already be getting some when Tron opens), at least compared to the others. That was just a response to that specific quote.

Sharon&Susan

And the Country Bears
If we're counting Walt's presence in the very early idea stage wouldn't both Space Mountain and the Mickey Mouse Revue both count too? And that's ignoring that the "Bear Show" was completely rebooted after Walt's death with nothing other than the basic concept of an animatronic show about music lovin' bears surviving from the initial plans.

mgf

I am not saying it was particularly well executed (it has the feel of stuff just being dumped on the lawn), but the holiday overlay shows just how ripe the speedway is for some kind of re-theme - especially with Tron going from lurking to looming in the background. The lighting added so much to the experience and the area.

78215378_513646755892279_3428652429388808192_n.jpg

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973

Personally I'd like to see a totally new final section while leaving the first three untouched (other than maintenance/upgrades). I realize that would make for a bizarre 80 year leap from 1940 to 2020, and it's more likely they'd do a significant overhaul of everything, but those original three parts are so good and a huge part of the attraction's charm (not to mention Walt Disney was heavily involved in designing them himself). I don't want to lose them. The other great option would be to return the finale to its original 1960 setting and have it as a retro look into the past, then have some sort of post show that deals with the future, but there's absolutely no chance that ever happens.
Interestingly enough, I was just at WDW for 8 nights, 11/13-11/21, and the CoP was attracting large numbers of guests. I visited the attraction 4 times, all at different times of the day, and the theaters were at least 50-75% full during each of those showings. The other theatre attractions were also featuring large crowds. Both visits to Country Bears required everyone to slide all the way to the right to fit everyone in. Hall of Presidents was at least 75% full. Philharmagic was completely full, Monsters, full, and The Birds were 3/4 full. It was good to see these attractions picking up the slack. Pulling any one of these from the lineup would negatively impact guest satisfaction, for sure. While numbers may be lower during "slow" times of the year, these theatre attractions allow guests to experience them with little to no wait during the busy days. Any time you can get into an attraction with a very short wait, definitely has an impact of the satisfaction of said guest, even if its a theatre attraction.

UNCgolf

Interestingly enough, I was just at WDW for 8 nights, 11/13-11/21, and the CoP was attracting large numbers of guests. I visited the attraction 4 times, all at different times of the day, and the theaters were at least 50-75% full during each of those showings. The other theatre attractions were also featuring large crowds. Both visits to Country Bears required everyone to slide all the way to the right to fit everyone in. Hall of Presidents was at least 75% full. Philharmagic was completely full, Monsters, full, and The Birds were 3/4 full. It was good to see these attractions picking up the slack. Pulling any one of these from the lineup would negatively impact guest satisfaction, for sure. While numbers may be lower during "slow" times of the year, these theatre attractions allow guests to experience them with little to no wait during the busy days. Any time you can get into an attraction with a very short wait, definitely has an impact of the satisfaction of said guest, even if its a theatre attraction.

I'm glad to hear that, because I'm constantly afraid they're going to close it.

When I was last there, some of the rides had 2+ hour waits and most were at least an hour, but CoP was just empty.

mergatroid

I'm glad to hear that, because I'm constantly afraid they're going to close it.

When I was last there, some of the rides had 2+ hour waits and most were at least an hour, but CoP was just empty.

Me too, but mainly because I've been reading it on here for about the last 9 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom