• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Tomorrowland love

TJJohn12

Advertisement
Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but with the Star Traders update, Peoplemover spiel was also changed. Now it just says "Star Traders" instead of "Mickey's Star Traders", and they cut out Mickey's "That's right, it's out of this world!" line at the end.
I'll toss in the opinion that this is a *very* good thing for placemaking. Mickey being the owner was jarring in terms of theme in T'land. Yes, it's a small thing (and the bigger culprits of Monsters and Buzz are still around), but it's a step in the right direction. Keep the fantasyland elements - if they must exist in T'land - out of sight.

Kman101

It definitely feels like we're going back to some "old school" philosophy from the changes we're seeing in Epcot and Tomorrowland...perhaps the execs are betting on the profitability of nostalgia, or there's some imagineers who want to go back to that time.
I think there's a clear struggle between those in management/imagineering who want the old way and then the push from above for IP. I'm guessing they're trying to find a happy balance, if that's possible.

I approve of this change for sure.

Sir_Cliff

they are just repeating a motif used at their Tomorrowland Terrace Stage...but what is worse is the use of just one singular element on each side and the scale of them... It is just rather cheap looking and unfinished....
View attachment 428108
I think/hope the concept art is just poorly executed and the final result will turn out looking less cheap and tacked on. Overlaying this onto old concept art with the previous TL color scheme makes the whole thing look disjointed for a start.

Animaniac93-98

I certainly hope so. I've been worried that its days are numbered for a few years now. The fact that they've let it get to this point is a bad sign.
It's been on the chopping block since the post-9/11 tourist slump.

Disney has never been able to make up its mind about what to do with it. Scrap it? Updated it? Keep it running until we decide?

There seems to be a small group of employees who have been fighting an uphill battle to justify its existence, which is why we'll periodically get things like the flashy new paint job on the exterior.

MotherOfBirds

It's been on the chopping block since the post-9/11 tourist slump.

Disney has never been able to make up its mind about what to do with it. Scrap it? Updated it? Keep it running until we decide?

There seems to be a small group of employees who have been fighting an uphill battle to justify its existence, which is why we'll periodically get things like the flashy new paint job on the exterior.
A lot of management can't see the value in attractions that aren't D/E or big shows they can attach dessert parties to. It's pretty much the last piece of old-school Walt you'll find in WDW. If they really insist on removing it, it should either go to Epcot or perhaps the Disney museum. I get that it's a prime chunk of real estate, but some things are more important than increasing capacity.

DisneyOutsider

A lot of management can't see the value in attractions that aren't D/E or big shows they can attach dessert parties to. It's pretty much the last piece of old-school Walt you'll find in WDW. If they really insist on removing it, it should either go to Epcot or perhaps the Disney museum. I get that it's a prime chunk of real estate, but some things are more important than increasing capacity.
The only attraction at WDW that Walt personally worked on.

UNCgolf

CoP has one of the best hourly capacities of any WDW attraction. It's doubtful a new build would be able to match or better it.
That's theoretical capacity, though -- it doesn't matter if no one actually gets on. I am a huge fan of Carousel of Progress. It might be my favorite attraction at the Magic Kingdom and I will never visit without seeing it (especially since I never know if it will still be there when I go back). But last time I was there, despite the park being packed, there was no line at all for CoP and the theater I was in was only about 20% full.

If they built something with 50% of the hourly capacity but it was regularly full, it would still remove more people from the parks at any given time than CoP currently does. That would be their argument for a replacement.

Personally I'd like to see a totally new final section while leaving the first three untouched (other than maintenance/upgrades). I realize that would make for a bizarre 80 year leap from 1940 to 2020, and it's more likely they'd do a significant overhaul of everything, but those original three parts are so good and a huge part of the attraction's charm (not to mention Walt Disney was heavily involved in designing them himself). I don't want to lose them. The other great option would be to return the finale to its original 1960 setting and have it as a retro look into the past, then have some sort of post show that deals with the future, but there's absolutely no chance that ever happens.

Top Bottom