News Tomorrowland love

trainplane3

*Vekoma (though I do believe Intamin was the first manufacturer to implement such a system [on Millennium Force]... the tech is used by quite a few manufacturers now)
MF was the first notable one but I think the Intamin Superman ride at Darien lake actually did it first. At least the videos with its lift is pretty quiet.
When Millenniums quiet system doesn't work, it's extremely loud. Louder then just about any other system I've heard:

vs

DisneyNittany

Because it’s rough?

i rode Disneylands last week. What an amazing difference. Just how Orlando’s was intended to be but much more enjoyable as a ride.

We went to Tokyo this year, and I thought that was the best version of Space that I've been on. I've only been to WDW and DLR though, so not much of a comparison point. DLR Space is definitely better than WDW's.

Bocabear

We went to Tokyo this year, and I thought that was the best version of Space that I've been on. I've only been to WDW and DLR though, so not much of a comparison point. DLR Space is definitely better than WDW's.
I disagree completely... The WDW Original has a much better track layout and an amazing ( or used to be) preshow queue and post show exit... Perhaps it could use some tweaking but the original bones are larger nicer and much more stylish than the Disneyland version.

SplashJacket

I disagree completely... The WDW Original has a much better track layout and an amazing ( or used to be) preshow queue and post show exit... Perhaps it could use some tweaking but the original bones are larger nicer and much more stylish than the Disneyland version.

Personally I prefer DLP over all of them. Those new trains have some beautiful restraints. The rides are entirely different so does not matter which I prefer.

However, the WDW track has gone so long without replacement it is dire need of repair. I agree it has a superior layout than the one in Tokyo, Anaheim, and Hong Kong but the track truly hinders the ride to a huge extent. Therefore, in its current state, I have to say WDW is the worst.....

SteamboatJoe

I can't speak for Tokyo, but this is correct in regards to DL SM vs. WDW SM. DL currently wins out simply because its ride experience has been given proper love and attention. If WDW was given the same effort, it would be the better overall experience, entrance to exit. Other than the shared entrance and the rooftop queue, I can't say I remember much else of the non-ride experience at DL's SM.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I can't speak for Tokyo, but this is correct in regards to DL SM vs. WDW SM. DL currently wins out simply because its ride experience has been given proper love and attention. If WDW was given the same effort, it would be the better overall experience, entrance to exit. Other than the shared entrance and the rooftop queue, I can't say I remember much else the non-ride experience at DL's SM.

Well, there's the John Hench nod in the queue, which automatically gives it a few points. :)

Bocabear

It is not that bad...Really it isn't. The Disneyland version is all a series of banked gentle inclines, all the same direction...there is not nearly the thrill they designed into the original WDW version... switchbacks, sudden drops, it is all a much more complex layout... Sure they could smooth it out a bit, but in general, it is still a great ride, and if they replace the track, I am hoping for a carbon copy of the original layout...Far superior to the Disneyland, Tokyo, and Hong Kong versions.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
It is not that bad...Really it isn't. The Disneyland version is all a series of banked gentle inclines, all the same direction...there is not nearly the thrill they designed into the original WDW version... switchbacks, sudden drops, it is all a much more complex layout... Sure they could smooth it out a bit, but in general, it is still a great ride, and if they replace the track, I am hoping for a carbon copy of the original layout...Far superior to the Disneyland, Tokyo, and Hong Kong versions.
Yes, really it is. Layout notwithstanding. But layouts aren’t the discussion.

Marc Davis Fan

I really don't think anyone in this thread wants them to copy DLR's layout. Everyone wants the same layout we have now except with track and supports that don't need welded frequently to maintain integrity.

...and onboard audio that syncs with the layout (which is what really stands out to me on the DL version, except during the overlays when it's too cheesy).

WDWFREAK53

Any way to change the cars so they could mimic a banked turn without change to the track? I'm thinking something like the 7DMT but controlled rather than free-swinging. I'm sure how high the cars sit on the track comes into play.

trainplane3

Any way to change the cars so they could mimic a banked turn without change to the track? I'm thinking something like the 7DMT but controlled rather than free-swinging. I'm sure how high the cars sit on the track comes into play.
Not really. You're adding lots of weight to cars that already can't have some speakers and a battery added to them. The banking isn't the issue. The track is old, it needs tossed.

...and onboard audio that syncs with the layout (which is what really stands out to me on the DL version, except during the overlays when it's too cheesy).
Agree. I'd like audio but at this point I want fixed effects like the lights on the lift hill. It needs a hilarious amount of love.

jt04

I really don't think anyone in this thread wants them to copy DLR's layout. Everyone wants the same layout we have now except with track and supports that don't need welded frequently to maintain integrity.

Pretty sure Marti wanted the single track version that was proposed about a decade ago.

WDWFREAK53

Pretty sure Marti wanted the single track version that was proposed about a decade ago.

Frankly, the ride itself is a great length as is IMO. Imagine, with today's technology, what they could do with a building of that size, a coaster of the same type (smaller scale cars while leaving it on the tamer side), audio, visuals, etc. if they ripped it out completely and made it one track with smaller "near miss" scenes/effects. Space Mountain is iconic. It's still the ride that scares the little ones and makes them feel like a "big kid" when they ride it for the first time (at the MK), and it should be brought up to be THE icon again.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Space Mountain in Orlando doesn't need a new single-track layout, or a new layout in general. May as well start from scratch with a new ride if you want those things. It needs a new track, same layout.

If it were up to me, there would be an approved plan and a PO ready to cut to get new track for Space Mt, exact same layout, plus new cars with on-board audio, and start work 3 months after Tron opens. I know it would take SM out for 2-3 years (at a minimum, it seems, with the speed WDI/TDO moves these days). I wouldn't care. It's already 10+ years overdue to have the track replaced, it NEEDS to happen. They can't continue on their current course (weld, weld, trim brakes, weld, weld, weld...) without something bad happening eventually. No one wants that, no matter how displeased one may be with how TDO and/or Burbank has (mis)handled the Orlando parks over the past decade-plus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom