• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Tomorrowland love

T.Will

While they are loud...this one (IMO) works because it feels like a thrown-together mine-train built with spare parts they had laying around the site.
That's fair. But a little sound dampening or something a little quieter could be good.

WDWFREAK53

Advertisement
That's fair. But a little sound dampening or something a little quieter could be good.
What? Sorry I can't hear you over the lift hill chain. Haha. (Sound dampening or even change the lift out but add in some audio). It is rather loud in there.

Movielover

Can they also put silent lift hills on Big Thunder. I have to plug my ears they're so loud.
It's actually not the chain lifts themselves that are so loud but the anti-rollback devices on them that keep the cars from rolling back.

This is a great picture. The moving lift chain is on the right. The ratchet rail does not move. The "clanking" that you hear on a lift is the safety dog moving over each individual ratchet on the rail.

Usually older coasters have much larger ratchets and safety dogs.

On Expedition Everest the ratchets are much smaller thus creating less noise (You can barely make them out but they are on the right).

IMO The louder older design works for Big Thunder because of it's theme.

MansionButler84

Isn't Big Thunder supposed to be a haunted train? Ghosts wouldn't need a clankety clank (technical industry term) to get you up a mountain.

Rob562

View attachment 416915

On Expedition Everest the ratchets are much smaller thus creating less noise (You can barely make them out but they are on the right).
Actually, Everest's lift hills use Intamin's quiet lifthill system which isn't quiet simply because the anti-rollback dogs are smaller. Instead, it uses a device that keeps the dogs retracted up under the train so that they don't make contact with the rollback teeth at all, as long as the train is moving forward at a specified constant speed. That's why you hear the dogs clanking at the bottom and top of the lifthills, the train isn't moving at a constant speed. But once it settles into the lifthill speed, it's silent.
Were the lift to stop, the rollback dogs would no longer be held up, they'd drop and engage the teeth in the track.

Superman here at Six Flags New England is an Intamin that uses the same system. One season there was something wrong with the lift motor for a couple months, causing the lift to run slower than it was supposed to. The dog retractors weren't spinning fast enough to keep them up out of the way and the train clanked its way up the lift EXTREMELY loudly...

Edit to add: Realized that one additional thing that makes noise at the bottom and top of the Everest lifts are the chain dogs clanking along the chain.

-Rob

Last edited:

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's actually not the chain lifts themselves that are so loud but the anti-rollback devices on them that keep the cars from rolling back.

View attachment 416914

This is a great picture. The moving lift chain is on the right. The ratchet rail does not move. The "clanking" that you hear on a lift is the safety dog moving over each individual ratchet on the rail.

View attachment 416915

IMO The louder older design works for Big Thunder because of it's theme.
I was about to say:

Actually, Everest's lift hills use Intamin's quiet lifthill system which isn't quiet simply because the anti-rollback dogs are smaller. Instead, it uses a magnetic device that keeps the dogs retracted up under the train so that they don't make contact with the rollback teeth at all, as long as the train is moving forward at a specified constant speed. That's why you hear the dogs clanking at the bottom and top of the lifthills, the train isn't moving at a constant speed. But once it settles into the lifthill speed, it's silent.
Were the lift to stop, the rollback dogs would no longer be held up, they'd drop and engage the teeth in the track.

Movielover

Actually, Everest's lift hills use Intamin's quiet lifthill system which isn't quiet simply because the anti-rollback dogs are smaller. Instead, it uses a device that keeps the dogs retracted up under the train so that they don't make contact with the rollback teeth at all, as long as the train is moving forward at a specified constant speed. That's why you hear the dogs clanking at the bottom and top of the lifthills, the train isn't moving at a constant speed. But once it settles into the lifthill speed, it's silent.

Superman here at Six Flags New England is an Intamin that uses the same system. One season there was something wrong with the lift motor for a couple months, causing the lift to run slower than it was supposed to. The dog retractors weren't spinning fast enough to keep them up out of the way and the train clanked its way up the lift EXTREMELY loudly...

Edit to add: Realized that one additional thing that makes noise at the bottom and top of the Everest lifts are the chain dogs clanking along the chain.

-Rob
I was about to say:
Thanks, wasn't 100% sure how that new system worked. Cheers!

trainplane3

*Vekoma (though I do believe Intamin was the first manufacturer to implement such a system [on Millennium Force]... the tech is used by quite a few manufacturers now)
MF was the first notable one but I think the Intamin Superman ride at Darien lake actually did it first. At least the videos with its lift is pretty quiet.
When Millenniums quiet system doesn't work, it's extremely loud. Louder then just about any other system I've heard:
vs

Because it’s rough?

i rode Disneylands last week. What an amazing difference. Just how Orlando’s was intended to be but much more enjoyable as a ride.
We went to Tokyo this year, and I thought that was the best version of Space that I've been on. I've only been to WDW and DLR though, so not much of a comparison point. DLR Space is definitely better than WDW's.

Bocabear

We went to Tokyo this year, and I thought that was the best version of Space that I've been on. I've only been to WDW and DLR though, so not much of a comparison point. DLR Space is definitely better than WDW's.
I disagree completely... The WDW Original has a much better track layout and an amazing ( or used to be) preshow queue and post show exit... Perhaps it could use some tweaking but the original bones are larger nicer and much more stylish than the Disneyland version.

SplashZander

I disagree completely... The WDW Original has a much better track layout and an amazing ( or used to be) preshow queue and post show exit... Perhaps it could use some tweaking but the original bones are larger nicer and much more stylish than the Disneyland version.
Personally I prefer DLP over all of them. Those new trains have some beautiful restraints. The rides are entirely different so does not matter which I prefer.

However, the WDW track has gone so long without replacement it is dire need of repair. I agree it has a superior layout than the one in Tokyo, Anaheim, and Hong Kong but the track truly hinders the ride to a huge extent. Therefore, in its current state, I have to say WDW is the worst.....

SteamboatJoe

I can't speak for Tokyo, but this is correct in regards to DL SM vs. WDW SM. DL currently wins out simply because its ride experience has been given proper love and attention. If WDW was given the same effort, it would be the better overall experience, entrance to exit. Other than the shared entrance and the rooftop queue, I can't say I remember much else of the non-ride experience at DL's SM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom