News Tomorrowland love

Sir_Cliff

I think it's really telling that at the Polynesian Resort they never really included Moana in it's merch, breakfast meet and greets, or activites. But Lilo and Stitch is still a big there.
That was also generally noticeable. I was with a friend who was wanting to bring back Moana merch for friends in Australia, but there was generally very little to be found including at the Polynesian. Stitch was everywhere, though!

Bairstow

It followed the same pattern and style from the 90s movies like hunchback and to a lesser extent Hercules (not style, but weirdo disproportionately shaped anatomies). Disney animation struggled to find a style to go with between 95-05 and it shows. Pixar was Disney's saving grace after they absorbed them.

Edit; whatever they were trying to do, nobody really cared. The movies were weak.

Nobody except audiences and critics, who both liked Lilo & Stitch quite a lot.
I get the impression that you did not like it, but the movie was a considerable box office and critical success for Disney, and merchandising off the Stitch character, who remains exceedingly popular in Asia, has made them a fortune.

Jones14

Nobody except audiences and critics, who both liked Lilo & Stitch quite a lot.
I get the impression that you did not like it, but the movie was a considerable box office and critical success for Disney, and merchandising off the Stitch character, who remains exceedingly popular in Asia, has made them a fortune.
Yeah, Lilo & Stitch is generally considered to be Disney’s one true success of the 2000’s as far as I’m aware. Personally? It’s one of my absolute favorites. Nani and Lilo’s relationship puts Frozen’s to shame, and the film as a whole is one of Disney’s funniest and most heartbreaking. It’s a shame its reputation is somewhat spoiled by its integration into the parks.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Shouldn’t they moving away from this pattern? It’s part of the 94 aesthetic

In this case it's probably cheaper and more practical finding a way to marry the old with the new. I think the biggest take away is that paint along with a unifying color scheme will contribute the most towards Tomorrowland's refresh.

If anything I expect more of the same. Along with that, a removal of the superfluous. I suspect most of the "Steampunk, Space Race, and Alien-centric" themes will either be removed or toned down to give Tomorrowland a singular visual identity and not one composed of multiple-themed areas.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

It followed the same pattern and style from the 90s movies like hunchback and to a lesser extent Hercules (not style, but weirdo disproportionately shaped anatomies). Disney animation struggled to find a style to go with between 95-05 and it shows. Pixar was Disney's saving grace after they absorbed them.

Edit; whatever they were trying to do, nobody really cared. The movies were weak.
It's called experimentation and branching out. There's a reason people have been getting sick of the CG movies, they all look the same. So much discourse has emerged over Rapunzel, the Frozen sisters, and the BH6 girls looking the same.

Kevin_W

I think it's really telling that at the Polynesian Resort they never really included Moana in it's merch, breakfast meet and greets, or activites. But Lilo and Stitch still has a giant presence there.

Telling of what, our of curiosity? I've found the lack of Moana merch (anywhere) to be puzzling considering how well the film did critically and financially.

Bairstow

Yeah, Lilo & Stitch is generally considered to be Disney’s one true success of the 2000’s as far as I’m aware. Personally? It’s one of my absolute favorites. Nani and Lilo’s relationship puts Frozen’s to shame, and the film as a whole is one of Disney’s funniest and most heartbreaking. It’s a shame its reputation is somewhat spoiled by its integration into the parks.

Just in the Magic Kingdom, really.
In Japan Stitch invades the Tiki Room, with decent results, and in Paris and Hong Kong he features in a Turtle Talk-type show.

Sir_Cliff

Just in the Magic Kingdom, really.
In Japan Stitch invades the Tiki Room, with decent results, and in Paris and Hong Kong he features in a Turtle Talk-type show.
Peak Stitch unfortunately coincided with a period where decent new attractions for the US parks seemed more the exception than the rule. Nowdays I imagine they'd spend $200 million on a modest Stitch dark ride, but at least the results would be pretty good!

rle4lunch

It's called experimentation and branching out. There's a reason people have been getting sick of the CG movies, they all look the same. So much discourse has emerged over Rapunzel, the Frozen sisters, and the BH6 girls looking the same.

Whatever you say, glad my opinion is wrong... lol smh.

My thoughts on this is that the easiest way to spot the underperforming movies in Disney's filmography is to turn on Disney channel, Disney xd and Disney jr. The movies on constant rotation are the duds. Pocohantas, chicken little, Atlantis, Tarzan, Hercules, lilo and stitch...

All, subpar films.

Hunchback is the exception to the rotation rule, its so bad they might only play that once or twice a decade now.

Granted L&S got a ride, but think of what Disney was churning out back then. The less stinkiest turd was hailed as a triumph in a time where Disney wasn't making surefire hits every year. Fans were eager to see Disney make something good, L&S cleared the bar in their head.

I LOVE traditional animation, but even the House of Mouse stuff they were making felt like they were phoning it in..

Fox&Hound

My thoughts on this is that the easiest way to spot the underperforming movies in Disney's filmography is to turn on Disney channel, Disney xd and Disney jr. The movies on constant rotation are the duds. Pocohantas, chicken little, Atlantis, Tarzan, Hercules, lilo and stitch...

All, subpar films.

Hunchback is the exception to the rotation rule, its so bad they might only play that once or twice a decade now.

Granted L&S got a ride, but think of what Disney was churning out back then. The less stinkiest turd was hailed as a triumph in a time where Disney wasn't making surefire hits every year. Fans were eager to see Disney make something good, L&S cleared the bar in their head.

I LOVE traditional animation, but even the House of Mouse stuff they were making felt like they were phoning it in..

I will give you the others, but Lilo and Stitch a dud? No way! Original, great music, funny, and memorable characters.....

FigmentJedi

All, subpar films.

I'll give you Pocahontas and Chicken Little, but I have never seen taste this poor if you're dumping on all this other stuff.
The problems that a lot of these movies faced were that Disney has pigeonholed themselves as the fairytale factory to such a degree that any deviation isn't tolerated. Like the conversation that spawned Atlantis was "We've done so many Fantasyland movies, lets do an Adventureland one instead" and they gave it the look of a Hellboy comic brought to life. And that desire to move away from the typical musical formula and leave Fantasyland can be seen in a lot of the movies of that era.

Also, I call bull on the Disney channels playing ANY Disney movies enough to notice a pattern.

Kman101

I agree. It was better than being given credit for, likely due to how obnoxious Stitch has been made in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom