News Tomorrowland love

EPCOTCenterLover

"This is so weird. Theme Park History just put up their video on Alien Encounter as well. What are the odds, right?"

That video uses a photo I took at Disneyland about 20 years ago of the concept art for their version of a new Tomorrowland including Alien Encounter. You can see it at the 5:38 mark or you can see it here. (I first posted it in 2009.) SO glad I took it on a whim!

Donaldfan1934

"This is so weird. Theme Park History just put up their video on Alien Encounter as well. What are the odds, right?"

That video uses a photo I took at Disneyland about 20 years ago of the concept art for their version of a new Tomorrowland including Alien Encounter. You can see it at the 5:38 mark or you can see it here. (I first posted it in 2009.) SO glad I took it on a whim!
Wow, that’s awesome. Thank you for unknowingly preserving a piece of Disney history. It makes me realize that a lot of what’s been in the parks over the years only remains publicly documented because of guests such as yourself.

EPCOTCenterLover

Wow, that’s awesome. Thank you for unknowingly preserving a piece of Disney history. It makes me realize that a lot of what’s been in the parks over the years only remains publicly documented because of guests such as yourself.
I have started taking photos of all kinds of things at the parks I normally wouldn't think twice about. Just in case.

britain

Wait, is this a real thing?

Jones14

Someday maybe someone will explain why murals from NYC’s Rockefeller Plaza were going to be recreated on the facade of DL’s Alien Encounter. I’ve been trying to crack that nut for nearly 30 years.

Perhaps @Eddie Sotto?

I think it was meant to be an ironic reference, since X-S comes to Earth with their knowledge and wisdom, bringing the exact opposite of stability while they do.

Visually, I it’s probably also the idea of “old becomes new again”, with the designers in 2055 reaching back to “ancient” cultures for inspiration and reference in the same way that we’ll make designs inspired by the 60s today.

TJJohn12

I think it was meant to be an ironic reference, since X-S comes to Earth with their knowledge and wisdom, bringing the exact opposite of stability while they do.

Visually, I it’s probably also the idea of “old becomes new again”, with the designers in 2055 reaching back to “ancient” cultures for inspiration and reference in the same way that we’ll make designs inspired by the 60s today.

Or it could have been the concept designer compositing some random Art Deco bits from a reference book rather than trying to construct a deco art treatment whole cloth for a piece of art aimed at simply conjuring the feel and general shape of an area.

Not everything at the early stages is story. Sometimes it’s just ease of design. ;-)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom