News Tomorrowland love

lazyboy97o

A shame, but I can live with that. I managed to accept that when I rode the Skyway that many rides including 20,000 Leagues, IASW and HM were revealed to be just a facade in a not so very attractive box so I'll manage my expectations for this.
How is that at all similar to walking in a land?

that’s a fully enclosed coaster though with a track fitting that shape. That’s not what Tron us for better or worse.
And? TRON wasn’t tryingly worked into an existing facility or space. There’s no reason the box could not have been something else.

SplashJacket

You can easily see the box sticking up above the canopy. The reentry into the building is nothing but a hole in the side of a warehouse.

That is only because half of the land is elevated. That will not be a factor in WDW.

After watching a POV I do see the spot where the coaster going into the building is a glaring lapse in theme that could have been easily resolved.

Some people say the best ride in Shanghai is Tron but I never saw how. Pirates is on a level far above.

I am far from against Tron coming to MK as it is in dire need of a new attraction, a great one at that. The show building should play less of an effect on the in-park experience as it is more out of sight. Nothing to cry about, however, if it marks the start of Disney no longer placing emphasis on hiding show buildings that is more worrisome.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

That is only because half of the land is elevated. That will not be a factor in WDW.

After watching a POV I do see the spot where the coaster going into the building is a glaring lapse in theme that could have been easily resolved.

Some people say the best ride in Shanghai is Tron but I never saw how. Pirates is on a level far above.

I am far from against Tron coming to MK as it is in dire need of a new attraction, a great one at that. The show building should play less of an effect on the in-park experience as it is more out of sight. Nothing to cry about, however, if it marks the start of Disney no longer placing emphasis on hiding show buildings that is more worrisome.
The showbuilding is clearly visible from the ground level, not just the elevated walkways. The canopy also does not wrap the sides with steel already visible from within the park and looming directly behind Space Mountain from across and on Seven Seas Lagoon.

SplashJacket

The showbuilding is clearly visible from the ground level, not just the elevated walkways. The canopy also does not wrap the sides with steel already visible from within the park and looming directly behind Space Mountain from across and on Seven Seas Lagoon.

The Seven Seas Lagoon complaint would be extremely valid, but Bacon Lettuce Tower did the same thing a while back.

Here are my personal photos back in 2018:

From the elevated walkway, you can see the show building in between the two peaks of the canopies. It is far more pronounced in the day, but once again, due to the lack of elevated walkways in WDW, it is far less of an issue.

The show building is primarily seen when going into the bldg on the ride, in the elevated segments of the land, and I believe it is visible in Toy Story Land. I am not really sure, spent almost no time in the land.

WDW has no area which will be like Toy Story Land, WDW does not have the elevated Tomorrowland segments, but it will have the on ride exposed show building.

And a photo just to demonstrate darn cool it looks inside, even on an iPhone 6:

lazyboy97o

The Seven Seas Lagoon complaint would be extremely valid, but Bacon Lettuce Tower did the same thing a while back.

Here are my personal photos back in 2018:

View attachment 418106
View attachment 418107

From the elevated walkway, you can see the show building in between the two peaks of the canopies. It is far more pronounced in the day, but once again, due to the lack of elevated walkways in WDW, it is far less of an issue.

The show building is primarily seen when going into the bldg on the ride, in the elevated segments of the land, and I believe it is visible in Toy Story Land. I am not really sure, spent almost no time in the land.

WDW has no area which will be like Toy Story Land, WDW does not have the elevated Tomorrowland segments, but it will have the on ride exposed show building.

And a photo just to demonstrate darn cool it looks inside, even on an iPhone 6:
I’ve been there too. You’re first photo is not even looking towards the show building. There are plenty of photos that show the box sticking up behind the canopy. This isn’t some radical accusation, it is fact. The Magic Kingdom will have a worse condition than Toy Story Land in Fantasyland where steel is already visible.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

I visited Magic Kingdom this past week, my previous visit being in August. In just two months there's been a noticeable improvement in the land's aesthetic. New paint and the new sign make a big difference - but there's still soooo much to do to get Tomorrowland looking really classy again. I hate that the Speedway is still using gas-powered vehicles. There's nothing 'tomorrow' about that attraction. A lot needs to be done before Tron opens to prevent this part of WDW looking like a flea market of midway rides. Hope they pull it off!

Excuse you, I LOVED the Speedway as a child and...I totally agree with this.

I’ve said for years that even the main conceit of the attraction (you get to drive!) could be executed so much better. Anyone who’s been on the varied, intimate, scenic drive that is California’s Autopia knows what I mean.

And yes, switching from gas power would also help tons.

SplashJacket

I’ve been there too. You’re first photo is not even looking towards the show building. There are plenty of photos that show the box sticking up behind the canopy. This isn’t some radical accusation, it is fact. The Magic Kingdom will have a worse condition than Toy Story Land in Fantasyland where steel is already visible.

Of course, you can currently see the show building from Fantasyland the canopy has not been constructed.

The show building in Shanghai is North West of the Canopy and TSL is North. In Magic Kingdom the show building is South East of the canopy and Space Mountain is South. Fantasyland is North West / West of Tron, the area that will be blocked from view from the canopy.

The debate on whether you should be able to see Tron from half the park is a whole other ball game.

lazyboy97o

Of course, you can currently see the show building from Fantasyland the canopy has not been constructed.

The show building in Shanghai is North West of the Canopy and TSL is North. In Magic Kingdom the show building is South East of the canopy and Space Mountain is South. Fantasyland is North West / West of Tron, the area that will be blocked from view from the canopy.

The debate on whether you should be able to see Tron from half the park is a whole other ball game.
The canopy does not wrap the building. It will not block the views from north of the attraction.

SplashJacket

The canopy does not wrap the building. It will not block the views from north of the attraction.

I downloaded an overhead photo of Tron from Google Earth and was going to say how there is nothing North of Tron as the only thing is North West, but from looking at the current positioning of the track I am very confused on how they are going to lay Tron out so I vote we just wait and see what happens.

The bottom line is the show building is slightly visible in Shanghai from the elevated walkways and afar, and visible on the ride. It would be great if it was not there but you have to admit, it is far better than RRC and Guardians.

Given that it could be relatively easily resolved it is surprising that it was left exposed in Shanghai. Maybe (unlikely) MK will get a small extension of the canopy to cover the corner of the show building.

Rob562

Here are two aerial views from Google Maps, rotated and zoomed to approx the same angles. (I'm on my phone, so it's the best I can do)

As you can see, where Storybook Circus is in MK are backstage areas and local roads outside the park in Shanghai. The Shanghai version of Tron was not designed to be seen from those angles. And in MK it's visible all down the walkway heading toward Ariel's Grotto.

While they might have something in mind to disguise the showbuilding, the copy-paste nature of the ride doesn't instill much confidence in me.

-Rob

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Isn't the Tron attraction going to eventually look like this?

uiqyero478970-624x351.jpg

meaning the 'box' hidden when it's completed?
I struggle to fully envisage the gravity box from inside the MK. It will indeed be set back from the park, being hidden from view in the front by the canopy. Itself a bit so-so... A show building hiding itself in plain view a bit. Quite pretty however, to view from underneath is great.

I actually saw and rode Tron in Shanghai. The box is not visible from the park, that I recall, although the setting is completely different. I thought Shanghai TL rather attractive. But a very different aesthetic to MK TL. Incorporating Tron in the MK will be a difficult marriage. Or is that the reverse - incorporating TL aesthetics to Tron...

My foremost gripe is the massive volume looming over and directly next to SM. This diminishes the illusion of great size of SM. Straight lines angling towards one another create an illusion of size and distance, mimicking as they do lines fading off into the horizon.

Also, from the ferry or monorail, from anywhere but the top of the nearest hotels, the MK has got no visible show buildings. This helps to create an illusion of a magic world.

Bocabear

Close Space Mountain tomorrow

See, this part I’ve never understood. Why not shape the reentry point like one of the racing rings on the inside?
it absolutely should have been designed that way...not just flying into a hole in the building...and honestly it should have been designed to not rely on trim breaks as soon as you enter the building.. The break in momentum at that moment is a real flaw...as is every other trim break inside the building...so many of them, it really ruins the momentum of the ride...

SplashJacket

The canopy was really, really expensive. That’s not a joke. A huge portion of the attraction’s budget was consumed by the canopy.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/hartsfield-jackson-canopies-nearly-complete/WJi0sRHaokJzLaGAlTkQFM/

My airport has a really large and impressive canopy that costs $367.5 million to construct, granted it is Tron on steroids and is a government build and therefore should be higher, but the moral of the story, is canopies of that scale are expensive.

Jones14

The canopy was really, really expensive. That’s not a joke. A huge portion of the attraction’s budget was consumed by the canopy.
So my follow-up then becomes: was there initially a smoother transition designed that was cut midway through due to the canopy sucking up the budget, or did they just design the building that way from the beginning?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom