Tom Sawyer's Island replacement / Expansion

Magenta Panther

Never thought I'd say this but there is such a thing as too much pirates. They have their place and that place is in Adventureland and the movies. Frontierland is about the old fashioned frontier of the wild west. I say keep TSI and plus the area. Either that or do a Hunger Games theme. One or the other but definitely not pirates.

No, no, no, no and NO.

"Hunger Games"? Is Disney supposed to install every short-lived fad into its parks rather than mine its own riches for attractions, or, better yet, come up with something NEW?

Pirates would be much superior to HG in my opinion. Because, A., it's a Disney creation. B., it doesn't include child murder in its storyline.

Fanboys, seriously...:eek:

invader

No, no, no, no and NO.

"Hunger Games"? Is Disney supposed to install every short-lived fad into its parks rather than mine its own riches for attractions, or, better yet, come up with something NEW?

Pirates would be much superior to HG in my opinion. Because, A., it's a Disney creation. B., it doesn't include child murder in its storyline.

Fanboys, seriously...:eek:

While I agree with you, I don't believe THG is going to be a "short-lived fad."

Florida_is_hot

What is with people and the Hunger Games.....

It is good movie but it is not Disney.
Ok kids 24 of you go in but only one comes out alive !!!!

Do not think Walt Disney would ever approve.

Gregoryp73

What is with people and the Hunger Games.....

It is good movie but it is not Disney.
Ok kids 24 of you go in but only one comes out alive !!!!

Do not think Walt Disney would ever approve.

While we are at it, let's Replace Stitches great escape with a matrix ride....that was a popular series too.

lol :hammer:

Yeah, while it's great that people are enthusiastic about a new book and storyline, nothing about that movie/book screams disney.

I'm still thinking lone ranger river raft ride for TSI...drydock the belle and make it a gift shop on level one and a cocktail lounge on level two. Run a bridge to the island right through the middle of the belle.

tl77

I know the sides of the river are concrete and the track for the river boat runs down the middle. What is the bottom made out of? Also, the bottom of the river is probably at "real" ground level, not the built above the utilidoors level. I don't know how well that former swampland would handle a tunnel. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea but it may have some ongoing maintenance issues. Any type of bridge that would be ADA compliant wouldn't fit the old west theme or liberty square. Draw bridges weren't around during either of those periods.

Well this is all just hypothetical on my part, but if they wanted to keep the river boat intact they'd need a tunnel to the big island, and I'm assuming that the foundation for Big Thunder goes below the visible ground level. Plus Splash Mountain and the Pirates Show Building both sit lower than Big Thunder, so I'm guessing a tunnel could go at least as deep as any of them. The biggest problem with a tunnel I think would be rain water pooling in the bottom of it because it does rain quite a bit in Florida

Florida_is_hot

The Magic Kingdom is the second floor of a large building.

In Florida means you can not dig tunnels, this is why the Magic Kingdom was built on the second floor.

emaginear

My original idea on the area.

A few months ago I read Disney was pitching the idea of a Tom + Huck movie(s). If that were true and done correctly the island would regain new life. Maybe gain some sort of water toboggan ride through the caves to escape.

Gregoryp73

My original idea on the area.

A few months ago I read Disney was pitching the idea of a Tom + Huck movie(s). If that were true and done correctly the island would regain new life. Maybe gain some sort of water toboggan ride through the caves to escape.

It would be interesting to see how that type of movie would do in the current market of Superhero's and Neo-Book adaptions. I'm actually surprised they haven't done a newer Disney Cartoon (Princess and the frog style) with this premise?

Like to see some sort of exciting ride back there, not sure that they would do the toboggan through the cave type of ride so close to Splash Mountain. I know some of the in-the-know people on this board posted pictures of a raft ride (ala Grizzly river run in DCA) that could be shoe horned...from the artwork it had more of a Indian print on the side of the raft though.

tl77

In Florida means you can not dig tunnels, this is why the Magic Kingdom was built on the second floor.

waterb1.jpg

waterb2.jpg

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Instead of screwing up TSI, I'd rather see a new path installed to the west of BTMRR, over the BTM maintenance spur and then over a new drawbridge (like at World Showcase-between China and the Outpost) over the canal (that connects RoA to Seven Seas Lagoon) and see developement of the NW area outside the WDWRR tracks. There's quite a bit of room back there for a NW Territories type sub-land of Frontierland. A raft ride like DCA's would fit perfectly back there along with room for another major attraction (maybe that Geyser Mt attraction that was talked about ions ago). Seems far enough west so firework fallout wouldn't be a problem. It would also open up much needed acreage in the Kingdom.

As for the back portion of TSI...how about just expanding the Tom Sawyer experience beyond the fort with a Redwood Creek type trail that currently exists at DCA. This would give the youngster's even more room to blow off steam while in the MK.

NoChesterHester

You can absolutely dig tunnels in Florida. There are water issues to deal with, but it isn't anything insurmountable.

There is a subway tunnel at the bottom of the Bosphorus Straight. Getting people under man made river is not going to be an impossible task.

Florida_is_hot

What is done outside of the Magic Kingdom is not relevant still does not change the facts. The entire Magic Kingdom is technically on the second and third floors.

Looking at a map do not know what is under Tom Sawyer's Island but I suppose even if it is used now as storage and utility corridors this area on the "Ground Floor" if Disney wanted to could be renovated and added to the show.

Me I rarely go to Tom Sawyer's island be nice to have easier access and something more interesting.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that most of the old Fantasyland sits above the first floor, and the four blocks of Main Street are too, whereas Town Square is on fill as well as most of the rest of the park. There is a ring of utilidors connecting the rest of the lands as well as a spur, which juts off the western ring, and heads under the Frontierland buildings down to Pecos Bill's. For some reason I seem to recall maybe 20 acres of utilidors under the park, where the MK actually covers around 100 acres.

Magenta Panther

It would be interesting to see how that type of movie would do in the current market of Superhero's and Neo-Book adaptions. I'm actually surprised they haven't done a newer Disney Cartoon (Princess and the frog style) with this premise?

Like to see some sort of exciting ride back there, not sure that they would do the toboggan through the cave type of ride so close to Splash Mountain. I know some of the in-the-know people on this board posted pictures of a raft ride (ala Grizzly river run in DCA) that could be shoe horned...from the artwork it had more of a Indian print on the side of the raft though.

Hmmm...when I was a kid I visited Six Flags over Mid-America in St. Louis, and it had an "Injun Joe's Cave" dark ride. As I remember, you got in a log-flume-type boat and traveled through various scenes from "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer". I remember scenes with Injun Joe hanging from a cliff and Huck Finn lying on a river bank, whistling. It was not exactly Disney quality, but it had a certain charm.

I think a Disney-quality Tom Sawyer dark ride would be awesome, but...how many kids today know about Tom Sawyer? I read my dad's copy of the book (and found it tough; the language is archaic by today's standards) and I liked it, so the Cave ride was interesting and fun for me. But I have a feeling that, if Disney were to expand upon TSI, it would first have to re-introduce the characters to the current generation somehow, probably via a movie, to make the ride relevant.

However, there is another difficulty: the "Injun Joe" question...one that would probably, in today's politically correct climate, get an "Uncle Remus" answer. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom