Tom Sawyer's Island replacement / Expansion

bethymouse

I 100% agree. I remember those days! Keep the classics I say! Just like The Tiki Room! Look what happened to that! Maybe update it in some way? I would like to see a Carsland at HS though:) They do need to add something to AK, but not so sure about Avatar! But, one project at a time:) Can't wait for new FL to be complete!

Tigger#1

I would love to see a full scale Black Pearl at Disney World I don't care if it's on The Rivers of America or Bay Lake I would be on it.The pirate cruise they have is cute but pirates ain't suposed to be cute bring on the Pearl for a pirate cruise.
BlackPearl.jpg

flavious27

yes, they do have a pretty cool Pirate cruise, my daughter loved it when she went a few years ago.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/kids-activities/

Disney's Pirate Adventure

Aspiring buccaneers between the ages of 4 and 12 board a pirate-themed boat and scour the waterways around Walt Disney World Resort in search of pirate treasure during a swashbuckling high-seas adventure.

On this guided expedition, each participant enjoys a light snack and beverage, learns how to talk like a pirate, visits legendary ports-of-call, and—if he or she is lucky—returns with a bag of pirate booty! Disney's Pirate Adventure is a 2-hour sailing voyage that takes place each day at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Interesting though it would be better to be in a ship that looks like this:

800px-The_Black_Pearl%2C_San_Pedro_Harbor.jpg

and not this:

6764127589_a5f93c827c_z.jpg

flavious27

Every time I visit TSI, the rafts are always full. Leave it alone, BUT, reopen Aunt Polly's and the snack location at Ft Langhorn and maybe they can make some of those $'s that TDO is always grabbing for. A PB&J from Aunt Polly's and an ice cream bar from Ft Langhorn were always a highlight of any trip to the MK when I was a teenager in the 70's......and there were always lines at both locations.

And since Walt Disney Pictures has been remaking (or reinventing) so many of their older titles, why not a Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn movie? Maybe the younger generations could once again get hooked on an American Classic, and start using their imaginations once again on the beautiful plot of land in the middle of the Rivers of America.

And on a side note, since DL has the Columbia Sailing Ship that traverses their Rivers of America, how about a USS Constitution (Old Ironside) sailing out of Liberty Square? Would be a perfect fit for LS.

Or make a Daniel Boone remake.

Of course there are many things they can do. But will they, or will those places just sit and rot away. Why turn a riverboat into a restaurant if there are currently two restaurants in the Magic Kingdom that operate at reduced hours?

I agree that the riverboat should stay a riverboat, it should not be docked into a restaurant.

sublimesting

Never thought I'd say this but there is such a thing as too much pirates. They have their place and that place is in Adventureland and the movies. Frontierland is about the old fashioned frontier of the wild west. I say keep TSI and plus the area. Either that or do a Hunger Games theme. One or the other but definitely not pirates.

Magenta Panther

Every time I visit TSI, the rafts are always full. Leave it alone, BUT, reopen Aunt Polly's and the snack location at Ft Langhorn and maybe they can make some of those $'s that TDO is always grabbing for. A PB&J from Aunt Polly's and an ice cream bar from Ft Langhorn were always a highlight of any trip to the MK when I was a teenager in the 70's......and there were always lines at both locations.

And since Walt Disney Pictures has been remaking (or reinventing) so many of their older titles, why not a Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn movie? Maybe the younger generations could once again get hooked on an American Classic, and start using their imaginations once again on the beautiful plot of land in the middle of the Rivers of America.

There was an email in my inbox yesterday morning that said that some studio - don't think it's Disney - is making a new Tom and Huck movie, and that it would be supernatural in nature. :confused::shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Never thought I'd say this but there is such a thing as too much pirates. They have their place and that place is in Adventureland and the movies. Frontierland is about the old fashioned frontier of the wild west. I say keep TSI and plus the area. Either that or do a Hunger Games theme. One or the other but definitely not pirates.

Hunger Games certainly has no place in Frontierland, much less in the Magic Kingdom at all.

IMHO

RandySavage

At my lunch with an imagineer, the imagineer left me with four words: Mike, Fink, Keel, Boats.

That's encouraging (because I would hate to see TSI go away). The idea's been floated (by myself and others) of re-fitting the Keelboats with guns/spyglasses/something so that passengers aim at and activate various targets & fx as they circle the RoA... like a Crimestoppers/shootin' gallery on water.

Maybe Disney still has the original keelboats mothballed somewhere. The dock is still there. So it would seem to be a relatively inexpensive way to add D-level capacity in an interactive, next-gen way (which we know Disney is very big on).

tl77

Would they need to remove anything from TSI? I thought there was a bunch of unused space behind the fort on the big island, and if they want to keep the river boat running the shortest distance for a tunnel would be near the exits of Big Thunder to the Fort island

tsi-overtunnel.jpg

tsi-tunnel-photo.jpg

unkadug

Would they need to remove anything from TSI? I thought there was a bunch of unused space behind the fort on the big island, and if they want to keep the river boat running the shortest distance for a tunnel would be near the exits of Big Thunder to the Fort island

tsi-overtunnel.jpg

tsi-tunnel-photo.jpg

I like that idea. :wave:

:eek::eek::eek::animwink: That would make my life!!!!!!!!!! I don't think The the Hunger Games would fit in MK and I have absolutely no idea how they would make a land based on THG, but if they did I would be forever happy.

tl77

I like that idea. :wave:

hey thanks I'm glad you like it... I was thinking the biggest problem with TSI is that it's not real handicap accessible, I think that's also the reason the Keel Boats were shut down, but The Americans with Disabilities Act passed in 1990 states any new construction must meet certain requirements to accommodate the disabled.

So if they built anything new on the large island there would need to be some kind of access other that the barrel bridge, but I thought if they did build anything major on the large island they would have to drain the river to get equipment/machinery/supplies over there, and with the river drained they could easily dig a huge trench for a tunnel, then just cover it over and refill the river

I don't know what kind of ride they could put out on the island, but since it'd be cave/mine entrance right next to Big Thunder, that old Geyser Mountain concept might be a good fit

RunnerEd

hey thanks I'm glad you like it... I was thinking the biggest problem with TSI is that it's not real handicap accessible, I think that's also the reason the Keel Boats were shut down, but The Americans with Disabilities Act passed in 1990 states any new construction must meet certain requirements to accommodate the disabled.

So if they built anything new on the large island there would need to be some kind of access other that the barrel bridge, but I thought if they did build anything major on the large island they would have to drain the river to get equipment/machinery/supplies over there, and with the river drained they could easily dig a huge trench for a tunnel, then just cover it over and refill the river

I don't know what kind of ride they could put out on the island, but since it'd be cave/mine entrance right next to Big Thunder, that old Geyser Mountain concept might be a good fit

I know the sides of the river are concrete and the track for the river boat runs down the middle. What is the bottom made out of? Also, the bottom of the river is probably at "real" ground level, not the built above the utilidoors level. I don't know how well that former swampland would handle a tunnel. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea but it may have some ongoing maintenance issues. Any type of bridge that would be ADA compliant wouldn't fit the old west theme or liberty square. Draw bridges weren't around during either of those periods.

The Duck

At my lunch with an imagineer, the imagineer left me with four words: Mike, Fink, Keel, Boats.

:lookaroun
Interesting. I rode the Keel Boats once back in the early 80's and while it was a fun ride, they packed us in like sardines and my back was killing me after a few minutes. If they were to make a "Next Gen." ;) keel boat that was handicap accessible and more comfortable, I would be all for it. I would prefer a sailing ship like the Columbia but beggars can't be choosers. Of course, this is probably just Blue Sky gossip but it's worth thinking about.

flavious27

I know the sides of the river are concrete and the track for the river boat runs down the middle. What is the bottom made out of? Also, the bottom of the river is probably at "real" ground level, not the built above the utilidoors level. I don't know how well that former swampland would handle a tunnel. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea but it may have some ongoing maintenance issues. Any type of bridge that would be ADA compliant wouldn't fit the old west theme or liberty square. Draw bridges weren't around during either of those periods.

A draw bridge wouldn't work because of the dynamics of roa and not the theme. As for a tunnel and moisture, the 95 tunnel in Baltimore rests in the bay. A high water table will not flood the tunnel.

tsi-overtunnel.jpg

tsi-tunnel-photo.jpg

There is a bunch of land on tsi that they can extend the caves onto.

unkadug

A draw bridge wouldn't work because of the dynamics of roa and not the theme. As for a tunnel and moisture, the 95 tunnel in Baltimore rests in the bay. A high water table will not flood the tunnel.

There is a bunch of land on tsi that they can extend the caves onto.

How about I-10 under Mobile Bay...out of necessity it stays dry.

During construction, they just sank the tubes...then pumped them dry.

stitch2008

Just wanna bring this back up.

HOWEVER, he did mention to me that they were looking to replace the space on Tom Sawyer's Island in MK with something new. He also mentioned a possible expansion of the "island" into Frontierland dividing it off into a separate mini-land. All he said was "The Grid". He left it at that and that was ALL he said about future developments. They're set to announce publicly very soon. That's all I have for now. :wave:

You know "The Grid" may not mean Tron. In Western times, people could have lived "off the grid". Food for thought if nothing else. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom