Tom Sawyer's Island replacement / Expansion

Gregoryp73

"can't tell you the last time" So replace it? ARE YOU MAD! Next time take the time to go over and see the awesomeness that is Tom Sawyer Island. The bottomless pit, the caves, The Fort, with animatronic horses, chickens, and the stable boy and a black smith. I love it and always take time to visit the island. I think it is one of the hidden gems at MK. :sohappy:

It's the disney way...if an attraction becomes more scenery than attraction, it's time to redevelop. They've changed numerous attractions from their original incarnation (especially in TL). They have an opportunity to develop an expansive crowd eating mammoth in this area...to me it's a no brainer. I've been to the island, and it's meh. Same with SFR in adventureland. Granted it has some nostalgia attached, but I doubt Walt would hesitate to build WRE in it's place somehow.

flavious27

It's the disney way...if an attraction becomes more scenery than attraction, it's time to redevelop. They've changed numerous attractions from their original incarnation (especially in TL). They have an opportunity to develop an expansive crowd eating mammoth in this area...to me it's a no brainer. I've been to the island, and it's meh. Same with SFR in adventureland. Granted it has some nostalgia attached, but I doubt Walt would hesitate to build WRE in it's place somehow.

SFR? Do you smith family treehouse? That is very far away from where they were going to build wre, which is where sm and btmr are located now.

If a ride has achieved the disney level of scenery and the attraction is not living up to it, then it is time to enhance and re-imagine the ride but don't destroy what is already there.

For TSI to swallow up a large amount of guests, there are many operational issues that need to be handled. The first is getting guests in and out of the island. Along with that, not disturbing the area around it and any other attractions.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The footprint of Swiss Family Treehouse is WAY to small for any major attraction.

SFR? Do you smith family treehouse? That is very far away from where they were going to build wre, which is where sm and btmr are located now.

If a ride has achieved the disney level of scenery and the attraction is not living up to it, then it is time to enhance and re-imagine the ride but don't destroy what is already there.

For TSI to swallow up a large amount of guests, there are many operational issues that need to be handled. The first is getting guests in and out of the island. Along with that, not disturbing the area around it and any other attractions.

Smith Family Treehouse?

Gregoryp73

Yeah, my bad...I call it Swiss Family Robinson.
I just wanted to make an example of another attraction that does poorly in the realm of eating traffic or attracting crowds.

In the numerous times I've been to MK I've never once ever seen a line for TSI or the tree-house. I know many people have an attachment to both, and aesthetically they are both real nice pieces for the park. But I would think that both remain on the chopping block for TDO if they are looking for ways to Gobble up the massive crowds during the holidays.

I really think that both are non-repeats...unlike Splash Mountain (which I would go on every time), I only really see either one of these if someone new is in the group. They are not a must go on again and again type of ride.

flavious27

Yeah, my bad...I call it Swiss Family Robinson.
I just wanted to make an example of another attraction that does poorly in the realm of eating traffic or attracting crowds.

In the numerous times I've been to MK I've never once ever seen a line for TSI or the tree-house. I know many people have an attachment to both, and aesthetically they are both real nice pieces for the park. But I would think that both remain on the chopping block for TDO if they are looking for ways to Gobble up the massive crowds during the holidays.

I really think that both are non-repeats...unlike Splash Mountain (which I would go on every time), I only really see either one of these if someone new is in the group. They are not a must go on again and again type of ride.

The thing with swiss family treehouse is that it is 1/3 acre and requires little expenses.

MarkTwain

Soooo a Frontierland CM on MiceChat said recently that managers have already told CMs that the riverboat and other river traffic will be closing soon, and that cross-training has been ended for the operation of the Liberty Belle. Apparently the old girl's steam engine ain't what it used to be, and the ship in general isn't running very well anymore (huh, that's funny, Disneyland's 57-year-old Mark Twain riverboat is still working just fine... wonder what the difference is :rolleyes:).

Unfortunately, river traffic will be shutting down sometime in the near future. Plans have been discussed for a permanent bridge to TSI and the riverboat made stationary. The river is all kinds of scary, between the alligators, dead fish, and pick-up truck at the bottom, and the riverboat is aging quite badly. The people I worked with who were cross-trained at the riverboat talked about what a nightmare the boat was, and when I left they were slowly stopping all cross-training to the boat. It will be a sad day when the boat stops sailing.

Thoughts?

PhilharMagician

Soooo a Frontierland CM on MiceChat said recently that managers have already told CMs that the riverboat and other river traffic will be closing soon, and that cross-training has been ended for the operation of the Liberty Belle. Apparently the old girl's steam engine ain't what it used to be, and the ship in general isn't running very well anymore (huh, that's funny, Disneyland's 57-year-old Mark Twain riverboat is still working just fine... wonder what the difference is :rolleyes:).

Thoughts?

A pickup truck at the bottom????

tl77

I think they should re-theme the Swiss Family Tree house to something a little more recent, something maybe Tinker Belle related like Disneyland did with Tarzan's Tree house

Gregoryp73

The footprint of Swiss Family Treehouse is WAY to small for any major attraction.

You'd be surprised what could fit into a small footprint like that and still push through a crowd (or at least get them to stand in a queue)

The thing with swiss family treehouse is that it is 1/3 acre and requires little expenses.

I'm sure it's an insurance nightmare...and it's not accessible to everyone.
I would think that they could theme a version of Mater's Junkyard jamboree to the Junglebook, or possibly something with Tarzan like another poster mentioned.

Strangeling

Two particularly great ideas from this thread:

*Scarecrow of Romney Marsh themed attraction (I for one would love this but obviously, not probably the most current/lucrative branding opportunity for Disney right now, hehe). Sure made me smile though!

*A Club 33-style revival of the Adventurer's Club actually IN Adventureland, tucked away....in there somewhere.... - and being an actual "private club" could serve alcohol. I don't think that the alcohol served in Club 33 at Disneyland has contributed much to any alcoholic delinquency/bad behaviour (the air of exclusivity, or the threat of losing membership perhaps) and I think this would be an amazing addition to Adventureland, fit in great with theming, net Disney a bunch of $$, make the Adventurers happy and finally give us here in Florida an equivalent to California's Club 33. Bravo to this suggestion and sign me up.

Glasgow

I enjoy TSI but to be honest it's a bit of a chore to get there with the kids (been there once in 5 trips with the kids) and they don't care for it anyway. Same with the LB - the park is a living, breathing thing - it needs a bit of a reboot from time to time for the greater good of the park.

Having said that, couldn't they put in an alternate method of transportation to TSI, like catapult, rope swing or escalator bridge? lol

The Duck

Thoughts?
During my last visit, (late January, 2012), the Liberty Belle was closed for a quick refurb. I noticed a fresh coat of paint being applied but if this report is true, why did they bother to paint? :shrug: Maybe it really is going to be a dry-docked restaurant.

COProgressFan

Thoughts?

That sounds like a terrible idea. The thought of them just giving up on the riverboat, rather than doing the necessary work to repair / replace it is just disgusting.

Brian_WDW74

During my last visit, (late January, 2012), the Liberty Belle was closed for a quick refurb. I noticed a fresh coat of paint being applied but if this report is true, why did they bother to paint? :shrug: Maybe it really is going to be a dry-docked restaurant.

The Liberty Belle is currently in dry dock at Central Shops for refurbishment and is scheduled to return to service on May 21. It does seem odd that it would undergo a month-long refurb only to be permanently dry-docked in the near future.

But TDO has done stranger things in the past...

jt04

The Liberty Belle is currently in dry dock at Central Shops for refurbishment and is scheduled to return to service on May 21. It does seem odd that it would undergo a month-long refurb only to be permanently dry-docked in the near future.

Unless they are prepping it for permanently mooring it or even relocating it.

I really hope this is the case. Frankly, the scale is a bit off. Also, it limits the possibilities for expanding Frontieraland and incorporating TSI into something better. Another thing, it makes it possible they could properly complete Liberty Square. It is also expensive to operate and that money could be put to newer attractions that are easier to maintain.

So many positives to retiring the LB or at least repurposing it. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom