To tip or not to tip that is the question?

k.hunter30

On our last trip, we had decided to budget for tipping mousekeeping. The day we arrived, there was a super cute towel animal on top of our TV. Though we really don't make much of a mess at all, we did tip the $5 the very next day because we were pleasantly surprised by the cute towel animal. The next few days, there weren't any new animals, so, honestly, after tipping twice, we stopped.

I figure, if they're willing to do that little something extra like make a towel animal, I'll gladly tip. But it they're just doing their job...:shrug:

AEfx

I think of it this way : I'm spending so much to be there, what the heck is an extra $2-3 a day for the nice person that cleans up after you. I don't usually make a mess that needs to be cleaned up, but it can't hurt the service you get - and really, I figure hey, the mousekeeper will think a nice thought when he/she spends the couple of bucks on a drink or snack on their break.

/shrug

AEfx

Dabeast

tipping

on our first stay in Disney at CB, my kids were young and we lugged about 15 stuffed animals for the trip...when we left for the first day at the parks, we left our mousekeeper 3 dollars, spent the day at AK and picked up 2 dinosaurs, when we got back that night, she had all the animals set up on the bed watching the disney promos......left 3 dollars again ...when we got back the next night...she had all the animals set up in a circle on the bed, with the 2 dinosaurs staring at each other in the middle, as if prepared to fight...next day we leave 5 dollars, (cause the kids are just loving this) come back to the room...all the animals are set up in the window waiting for us...leave 5 more the next day, when we get back, the animals are tucked neatly under the covers, (the older looking animals were above watching over the younger ones that were tucked in) with park maps spread out on the bed as if they were planning out the next days activities. Well, this went on for 10 days, the parks were great, but my kids were just as excited to get back to the room as going to the parks...ever since then, we always leave a tip and try to stay at a Disney Resort. we don't always get the same level of service, but my kids who were very young at the time, still remember it like it was yesterday...a great memory:) a very "Disney" moment

vwayfan123

I have read that one should tip houskeeping everyday for cleaning your room. Do you do this, and if so how much do you tip?:shrug: My husband doesnt see the reason why we should. He thinks it is silly to tip someone for something they are already getting paid for. His words were, "I don't get a tip for doing my job why should they?" He understands why we should tip a waitress because it is part of her pay but housekeeping? It really through him for a loop. I told him it is only $12 for the week we are there. What is your opinion?:shrug:

This is for all you cheapskates that dont tip...

if you feel that you dont need to leave a tip(or your head is so big that you dont need too) then dont use the services these people offer. for example, dont allow houskeeping into your room if your cheap husband feels he dosnt have to tip. when you pull up to the hotel, dont allow the bellmen to take your luggage, carry it yourself.

Scooter

For you people who tip housekeeping MORE on the last day...

STOP IT!

The housekeepers that clean your room can change from day to day.

So if you are tipping 5 dollars a day and 20 on the last day, you might be tipping one housekeeper 5 dollars and another 20 dollars which doesn't seem very fair to me.

Spread it out evenly. We leave 5 dollars a day, every day, to insure that all the housekeepers get the same amount in tips.

Do we HAVE to leave a tip? Of course not, but I figure if I can afford to pay $300+ for a deluxe resort room, I can afford to leave a 5 dollar a day tip to someone who isn't paid very well and who has the unfortuante job of cleaning up after me....especially my toilet. :hurl:;)

carenyllie

I don't understand what mess you people are leaving for them to clean up! From what I can tell, mousekeeping comes in, makes the beds, switches towels and takes the garbage. I don't leave a mess. I clean up after myself and I don't leave anything in their way when I leave in the morning. And I believe that that is their job and what they are paid to do....so what "extra" am I tipping for? Towel animals? Sorry, really don't need that.

AEfx

And I believe that that is their job and what they are paid to do....so what "extra" am I tipping for? Towel animals? Sorry, really don't need that.

I guess just because some of us think it's a nice thing to do, and unless you are making your own bed, changing your own trash, picking up your own dirty towels, etc., you are getting some service. In the United States in most areas it is considered common courtesy to tip those who provide a service for you, be it a hairdresser, driver, lawn man, housekeeper, etc.

No one should tip if they don't want, but what constantly surprises me when this discussion comes up is how absolutely offended some people seem to get over it. You find this attitude from our friends across the pond as well, some of whom don't believe in tipping period because it is not as customary over there as it is in the U.S.

"It's their job they are paid to do", "Why should I give them anything, it's the company's responsibilty to pay them", etc., it all boils down to some people making some big "I'm offended at the notion" grandstand about it.

If you can't afford/don't want to spend $2-3 bucks a day, don't. I do it, because I think it's a nice thing to do for someone who isn't making very much money doing a job I wouldn't want to have to do. Now, that very notion offends others (if they don't like it get another job, yadda yadda) but they don't complain, they clean our toilets, pick up our towels, etc. and sending out a little magic of my own at the most Magical place on Earth makes me feel good as I go about my day of indulgence.

AEfx

AEfx

I know its not to do with house keeping, but how much should I tip for valet parking? Thanks

General rule is $1-2 each time they drive off or drive back.

I tend to tip a little more when I'm getting valet for free (usually $3) because of DDE, when I am traveling with someone disabled, or I otherwise don't have to pay.

AEfx

I usually tip $1-2 per day.. There are a few days where we left nothing based on the care we received previously.. I agree with not leaving extra at the end of the trip, unless you can find out from your mousekeeper if they are going to be the one's cleaning that last day..

Sherrybaby

"Molly Manners" says that for good housekeeping service in a hotel that a person should tip $1 for each person staying in the room. So 4 people = $4.00 a day.

It is also correct that you should do this DAILY. If your housekeeper gets sick or they change the schedule, etc then the person you leave the $20 for at the end of the week may not be the one who cleaned your room the entire week. They must be tipped daily, period.

I know a little bit about housekeeping and the hotel industry. I just would like to say that if you would like to keep all your belongings that a tip is a good way to do so. I'm not saying that ALL or even MOST housekeepers are stealing from rooms, but I have heard some stories over the years from my friend who is a district manager of a large hotel chain. He overheard some maids speaking in Spanish--I guess they didn't know he spoke fluent Spanish. Basically they were saying, no tip, then "me takey little thingies". And they may be "little thingies" you will never miss. I say tip. It's good for everyone.

Sherry.

Glasgow

I don't think there is really a wrong answer here. Some feel like the staff is not sufficiently paid for what they do so they feel justified and compelled to leave a tip. Others feel like the staff is already getting paid for their job so why would you need to tip?

The truth is, this is another service oriented profession so leaving a tip may garner extra service, or in this case, magic. So the real question is, if they provide a little extra magic for you will you return the favor? :wave:

DABIGCHEEZ

I don't understand what mess you people are leaving for them to clean up! From what I can tell, mousekeeping comes in, makes the beds, switches towels and takes the garbage. I don't leave a mess. I clean up after myself and I don't leave anything in their way when I leave in the morning. And I believe that that is their job and what they are paid to do....so what "extra" am I tipping for? Towel animals? Sorry, really don't need that.

Agreed 100% We are DVC members get limited service which is fine but when we stay elsewhere...we straighten out pretty much before we leave in the AM anyway.

I have a housekeeper that comes weekly. I pay her her rate... Should I tip her on top of that? Her rate is what she will work for. I kind of feel the same way about the hotel staff. If you don't like the wage find a place where you do.

Agreed 100% also ... and don't get me started on tipping at restaurants!!

AEfx

The truth is, this is another service oriented profession so leaving a tip may garner extra service, or in this case, magic. So the real question is, if they provide a little extra magic for you will you return the favor? :wave:

Yeah, there is also the self-interest part, aside from the "nice thing to do" portion. If someone gives you a little extra, you often get a little extra back too.

This is especially true for those that provide a service for you regularly, like hairdressers, personal housekeepers, etc. You give them the bare minimum, you are likely to get the bare minimum service. You give a little extra this time, you likely will get extra back next time, etc.

AEfx

DisneyGigi

I guess just because some of us think it's a nice thing to do, and unless you are making your own bed, changing your own trash, picking up your own dirty towels, etc., you are getting some service. In the United States in most areas it is considered common courtesy to tip those who provide a service for you, be it a hairdresser, driver, lawn man, housekeeper, etc.

No one should tip if they don't want, but what constantly surprises me when this discussion comes up is how absolutely offended some people seem to get over it. You find this attitude from our friends across the pond as well, some of whom don't believe in tipping period because it is not as customary over there as it is in the U.S.

"It's their job they are paid to do", "Why should I give them anything, it's the company's responsibilty to pay them", etc., it all boils down to some people making some big "I'm offended at the notion" grandstand about it.

If you can't afford/don't want to spend $2-3 bucks a day, don't. I do it, because I think it's a nice thing to do for someone who isn't making very much money doing a job I wouldn't want to have to do. Now, that very notion offends others (if they don't like it get another job, yadda yadda) but they don't complain, they clean our toilets, pick up our towels, etc. and sending out a little magic of my own at the most Magical place on Earth makes me feel good as I go about my day of indulgence.

AEfx

I agree with you 100% here. I tip because I want to. It makes me happy to know that I did a little something for someone who is cleaning up after my family. We take alot of time in preparing the envelopes because we hope that we are making someone smile. (it makes us smile to do it) And a few dollars a day is not going to break us considering how you drop on vacation especially at WDW. I dont expect anything for the tip that I leave but we usually do get something nice for it, whether it be the arranging of stuffed animals in cute and funny ways to make us smile. Or extra towels and soap left for us They don't have to do that either but they do. :rolleyes:
Again we do it because we want to say thank you and that is the way we feel at WDW or anywhere. :)

Ailtara

Agreed 100% also ... and don't get me started on tipping at restaurants!!

I'm not trying to "get [you] started" but could you give me a basic understanding about what your tipping beliefs regarding servers are? I've never had a chance to hear where non-tippers are coming from.

I'm a server and understand that, especially in this economy, money is very tight; I'm a person, too, however, and I also need money to pay my rent, bills, gas, etc. If you come in when it's slow and don't require anything beyond basic service, I'm not going to be too put off if you don't leave me very much because I didn't have to go too far out of my way. If you come in when I'm obviously busy and demand something new every time you see me and leave nothing, I'm going to think very nasty things of you. I'm not asking for $10 a head, I just want you to understand that I am going out of my way for you and deserve a little extra.

I fully understand (better than most, I would say) that I am already getting paid to do my job, but as much as most people would like to believe otherwise, I do have a great amount of power regarding what your dining experience will be and I feel you should tip me based on that. Think about it: I can wait twenty minutes to put your order in, I can put it in wrong, I can let it sit in the window for half an hour and get cold, I can let your empty glasses sit on your table and not refill them, I can drop your food on you, and I can also do a variety of bad things to your food*. We'll not even mention the thought that I could just blow you off completely. The fact that I'm willing to take your order in a timely fashion, refill your drinks, and get your (correct) orders out to you while they're still hot and fresh is my courtesy to you; the least you can do is leave me a little something.

Also, I'm getting paid less than $4 an hour. Yes I understand that I willingly accepted that pay rate when I took my serving position, but I am working for my tips. If you come in, order, and scram and only leave me a dollar, I'm not going to think you're the worst person in the world. If you come in with your party of ten and don't tip me? That just makes you a crappy person.

*(Disclaimer: I have NEVER done ANY of those things and don't work with anyone who would, but it does happen.)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
, but I am working for my tips. If you come in, order, and scram and only leave me a dollar, I'm not going to think you're the worst person in the world. If you come in with your party of ten and don't tip me? That just makes you a crappy person.

*(Disclaimer: I have NEVER done ANY of those things and don't work with anyone who would, but it does happen.)

Actually I think it says your in a crappy job. No?

AEfx

Actually I think it says your in a crappy job. No?

In the United States, every single wait person job at a restaurant is paid a fraction of minimum wage because we are a culture that tips our waitstaff. Our law is written around allowing this exception to the minimum wage rule. It is the only class of job where this is legal (I believe the wording is "jobs who primarily receive their wages as tips", but generally it is only applied in this way.) The government expects the primary wages of this job class to come from our long tradition of tipping.

Now, it's clear that culturally you disagree with this. Fine. However, until such a time as laws are changed in this country that you are visiting, the fact remains that anyone who is waiting on you in a restaurant *is* working for your tips. This is written into our law. You may not like this, you may resent this, you may belittle this, you may feel however you wish about it, but the fact remains that is the culture in the country you are coming to visit.

If no one did this "crappy" job, you'd be eating from fast food counters your entire trip. You don't change the system by stiffing the people on the front lines. Until such time, unless you receive extremely poor service, yeah, anyone who doesn't tip a waitperson in this country, visitor or resident, is pretty crappy.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom