To tip or not to tip that is the question?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
1. Crappy person - Aialtra uses the exact phrase crappy person, based on the impact of not tipping has on her, well call me all the things you just have, but if one tip has that much of an impact on your income then you are definitely in a

2. Crappy Job - simple really, I would say its the job that was crap if I was totally reliant on charity. However as this thread is about WDW eateries I d be a little surprised to find that servers slots were bread line, especially as everyone on this board gives at least 20%, though I expect your tips are the biggest.

3. My posting style, use the ignore feature if you don’t like it.

4. Poor analogy about the troops, last time I looked there were no suicide tippers in Disney, or rocket propelled yoghurt attacks, but that is the sort of drama queen answer Id expect from someone who’s biggest threat is from over booking. Truly cretinus.

5. You keep going on about your culture your system, oh please, strike up the band unfurl the flag. We have a culture of service charge, but shock horror we still tip :eek: go figure. However I dont ever recall there being threads on UK boards about tipping at an eatery or theme park. Your right there is a culture difference.

Il do what I always do, perhaps Ill even come on here and post how wonderful I am for doing it.

However its good to your still out there defending the servers of this world with your perfectly punctuated and constructed posts, and your well crafted tipping habits. :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Disney05

What do you servers think of the new dining plan not including tips? And how have the tips been so far with the new plan?

yankspy

well when my family goes to disney in sept and we eat at le cellier the bill should come to about 220 +/- due to being on the deluxe dining plan, which includes appetizer, entre, and desert. that works out to about $40 if i give 18%. for 4 people. sorry I just don't see that as reasonable. I understand they work hard, and so do alot of other people, but $40 for about an hours work? thats pretty good money, even if my table was the only one they had. but it never is, they have others. I could easily see a server at a popular restaurant like le cellier making $100 for about an hours work. thats just not reasonable to me.
Federal law requires that a server has to pay tax on 12 % of their sales. That means that the Fed. makes the assumption that you are tipping at least 12% on your meal no matter what the cost. So, if you tip really low on an expensive check, the server is actually paying tax out of his or her pocket for that check. Granted, it never really happens that the average server does not make above 12% on a given night. It is interesting that you claim that $100 an hour is too much. Being a server is as hard as any job. Many servers are supporting families or have just gotten out of school and are paying for expensive educations. It is your priority to tip whatever you feel is appropriate and I am not trying to say that you are cheap or anything, I am simply pointing out a few things. I do not mean this to be offensive in any way.
Wow! I love these threads. Really gets the ole blood boiling. One comment I don't agree on is ..and I am paraphrasing here "If you don't want to tip clean up your own mess". When I book a room at Disney I expect a few things. I expect a Disney service, a clean room and a magical stay. I don't think Disney or any hotel/resort etc., expects paying guests to maintain their own rooms. However, with all of that said...I must say I always pack a pop up hamper and keep our room very tidy. I am a bit compulsive. I can't stand chaos. I like the counter tops clear, clothes put away, hung up, etc., so basically housekeeping has to change towels, empty trash and run the hoover. Christmas Day we tip $25 because they are giving up their holiday to ensure we have a great Christmas. We have left tips at all of the resorts but not always.

The one thing I never get with tips is the difference between hotel/resort tips and restaurant tips. Why do we gauge restaurant tips on the total cost of the meal? That just doesn't make sense to me? Esp. when the majority on this board tip Mousekeeping roughly the same price each day whether they are staying at the all stars or the deluxe resorts. That is just one little tip oddity I have never understood.

Mousekeeping is getting minimum wage whereas a server is relying on tips as their main source of income. A server generally gets what is deemed to be "minimum wage for tipped employees" which varies by state and is generally lower than the regular minimum wage.

lilclerk

We will usually leave the DND sign in the door so that mousekeeping won't come in to clean, mostly just to save them time from cleaning a room that really doesn't need to be cleaned. I can make a bed if I want, and they leave extra towels in a bag hanging on the door, so there's really no need to clean the toilet every single day when it's only us using it once or twice a day. IMO of course.

But the days we DO have them come in, I tip $1/person/day.

kimmychad

Federal law requires that a server has to pay tax on 12 % of their sales. That means that the Fed. makes the assumption that you are tipping at least 12% on your meal no matter what the cost. So, if you tip really low on an expensive check, the server is actually paying tax out of his or her pocket for that check. Granted, it never really happens that the average server does not make above 12% on a given night. It is interesting that you claim that $100 an hour is too much. Being a server is as hard as any job. Many servers are supporting families or have just gotten out of school and are paying for expensive educations. It is your priority to tip whatever you feel is appropriate and I am not trying to say that you are cheap or anything, I am simply pointing out a few things. I do not mean this to be offensive in any way.
[/b]
Mousekeeping is getting minimum wage whereas a server is relying on tips as their main source of income. A server generally gets what is deemed to be "minimum wage for tipped employees" which varies by state and is generally lower than the regular minimum wage.

not offensive in any way to me, in fact actually informative. and as i make $13 an hour, yes $100 an hour is a bit much. and i agree with what a previous post said, why do we tip based on the price of a meal? that server who works really hard bring out my steak works equally as hard bringing out my wifes salad right? and yes i usually tip about 15%, i just don't appreciate when a company or an individual tells me what to tip.

yankspy

not offensive in any way to me, in fact actually informative. and as i make $13 an hour, yes $100 an hour is a bit much. and i agree with what a previous post said, why do we tip based on the price of a meal? that server who works really hard bring out my steak works equally as hard bringing out my wifes salad right? and yes i usually tip about 15%, i just don't appreciate when a company or an individual tells me what to tip.

I agree. The other point, "tipping based on price" was loosely based on the assumption that if you were at a high end place, you were getting high end service. That is a huge assumption because I have gotten crappy service at some very snobby places. As far as the pay, who knows. I am sure that the disney servers do well but I doubt that they are pulling down $100 an hour. Although some servers do make six figures in some cities. It is hard discussion to figure out what a person is worth in terms of salary. I have had many different jobs in the past twenty years or so, some professional, some not. It always seemed that the easier ones paid more. :lol: Anyway, thanks for listening/reading.

AEfx

However its good to your still out there defending the servers of this world with your perfectly punctuated and constructed posts, and your well crafted tipping habits. :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Yes, it is good that someone is out here trying to educate people about another culture they seemingly don't understand (calling it "charity" is a good indicator that you still don't know what in hell you are talking about), and thank you for recognizing it.

As to the "ignore" feature, unfortunately I can't seem to find it anymore. In my years reading these boards you are the only person I ever felt warranted that since virtually all your posts are nonsense (telling someone in another thread who was worried about stomach issues to "stay home" isn't exactly constructive), but awhile back I took you off ignore because, occasionally, you do make half of a good point somewhere between your grunts and spasms.

Unfortunately, I seem unable to put you on ignore again (the button seems to have vanished) so I guess I'll just have to use my personal filter and just skip what you have to say in the future. It's my own fault for even daring to take you seriously. Please continue your trolling, it's what you do best.

Have a magical day,

AEfx

Pumbas Nakasak

Yes, it is good that someone is out here trying to educate people about another culture they seemingly don't understand (calling it "charity" is a good indicator that you still don't know what in hell you are talking about), and thank you for recognizing it.

As to the "ignore" feature, unfortunately I can't seem to find it anymore. In my years reading these boards you are the only person I ever felt warranted that since virtually all your posts are nonsense (telling someone in another thread who was worried about stomach issues to "stay home" isn't exactly constructive), but awhile back I took you off ignore because, occasionally, you do make half of a good point somewhere between your grunts and spasms.

Unfortunately, I seem unable to put you on ignore again (the button seems to have vanished) so I guess I'll just have to use my personal filter and just skip what you have to say in the future. It's my own fault for even daring to take you seriously. Please continue your trolling, it's what you do best.

Have a magical day,

AEfx

See thats the thing you keep droning on about the tipping system, infact "but the fact remains that is the culture in the country you are coming to visit" is your exact phrase. Which begs the question if its the culture of your country, why are virtually all of these threads started by non visitors? Strange that something thats supposedly the fabric of society is not understood.

However, the reason I used the word charity is I felt it was something you could identify with, after all you are the one that states giving tips makes you feel good about yourself, sounds like a charitable donation to me...no?

As for my flippant answers, to be honest if I was ill every time I travelled I wouldn’t be looking for serious advice on an internet board about a theme park. But then Im not you as you have said.

Ill be honest, I do think you are made by Binford and are a boring one at that, so Ill not shed a tear about your blanking my hugely entertaining posts even though its you I have to thank for the inspiration for my previous avatar.

Aefx, What a guy, a legend in his own lunch hour. :sohappy:

AEfx

See thats the thing you keep droning on about the tipping system, infact "but the fact remains that is the culture in the country you are coming to visit" is your exact phrase. Which begs the question if its the culture of your country, why are virtually all of these threads started by non visitors? Strange that something thats supposedly the fabric of society is not understood.

As usual, you show complete ignorance of even what thread you are spouting in. Just like you initially accused people of "coming here to tell people what they tip" when answering the direct question posed in the OP, you just reply and reply with your nonsense until you get so far off topic that you simply become indecipherable.

This thread was about tipping housekeeping, not wait staff, but people like yourself who don't understand that system brought it there. The information is all here in the thread, the difference between a maid (who is paid a wage over minimum wage) and a wait staff who is not because of their legal job class. Yes, some Americans are ignorant of the situation as well - but most people who eat in restaurants know how it works. /shrug

I'm glad you are such a...fan of my posts. I'd rather be known as someone who speaks their mind in a clear, reasoned manner and talks about issues I believe in, as opposed to the self-appointed Jester who seems to think his Tourrettes-like postings are entertaining and not sad as they usually are, but to each their own. Like that drunk guy at a party who thinks he's just so funny and entertaining, but in reality contributes nothing overall to the event because he wouldn't know a constructive thought if it bit him in the behind.

AEfx

Pumbas Nakasak

:lol: Still trying and deflect things. So now its thread drift thats the problem?
Oh gawd how seriously do you take yourself and what you post.

:ROFLOL:

AEfx, you always put a smile on my face. Unintentionally I know, but hey.

Isnt it annoying how I get to you...............:animwink:

AEfx

Isnt it annoying how I get to you...............:animwink:

No, it's just sad (and obvious) that it's your goal. FYI, though, it takes a lot more than ignorant stammering and poor writing to get to me. :)

See, I come here to share information and talk about Disney. You come here because you like to get reactions out of people and think you are entertaining.

It's a shame, because once in awhile you have half of a decent point, but like most I generally ignore your blather but this time I actually thought you might allow yourself to be educated.

I won't make that mistake again.

AEfx

Joy Peace

Original Poster
Wow! I am really sorry that this topic has caused such an uproar.:( I just wanted to know everyones opinion on tipping the housekeeping and how much one might tip. Did not mean to start an argument!:eek:

Dwarful

Thats alright. It's always a fun topic ;)

I understand that waitstaff makes less than minimum wage plus tips. What I do not get is why did it become based on the total cost of the meal? The waiter at Tony's isn't doing any more work carrying a steak vs. pasta. The thing I don't get is why is it associated to the cost of the food you eat? I am just curious when, how and why this tip situation began.

kimmychad

Thats alright. It's always a fun topic ;)

I understand that waitstaff makes less than minimum wage plus tips. What I do not get is why did it become based on the total cost of the meal? The waiter at Tony's isn't doing any more work carrying a steak vs. pasta. The thing I don't get is why is it associated to the cost of the food you eat? I am just curious when, how and why this tip situation began.

lol, tipping, religion, reusing your refillable mug from previous visits, ecv's, all these are such interesting posts. but you raise i point that has been brought up many times, why is tipping based on the price of a meal? it could be tiered like the restaurants for candlelight processional, with buffets being at the bottom, then restaurants like tony's or 50's prime time, and finally brown derby or flying fish.

Ailtara

1. Crappy person - Aialtra uses the exact phrase crappy person, based on the impact of not tipping has on her, well call me all the things you just have, but if one tip has that much of an impact on your income
Just wanted to straighten this out: I said that if you come in with ten of your obnoxious friends and don't tip me, you're a crappy person.

Also, you not tipping me could have a decent impact on my income. What if I have only three tables on the day you come in and your group takes up all of them? In the amount of time you're there running me around in circles, I could have three other very nice tables filled with people who understand that I'm working for my tips. Just saying. :shrug:

yankspy

lol, tipping, religion, reusing your refillable mug from previous visits, ecv's, all these are such interesting posts. but you raise i point that has been brought up many times, why is tipping based on the price of a meal? it could be tiered like the restaurants for candlelight processional, with buffets being at the bottom, then restaurants like tony's or 50's prime time, and finally brown derby or flying fish.

I am not familar with this? Please explain. The only further explanation I can think of is that if it were more of a random amount, it would be difficult to budget yourself if you were a server. You could make $100 one night, then $20 the next. You could have a hard time attracting people to the job if this were the case. The other reason could be that it would be difficult for the government to figure out how much you were making. Under the current system, they can assume that you are making at least 12% of your sales and so they can tax the server on that amount without cheating the server.

The other alternative could be for the restaurants themselves to pay a higher wage. However, restaurants already have a hard time making a profit in many cases. Most restaurants fail within a year because many owners are not aware of how difficult it is to run a successful one.

It is a good question, unfortunately I do not have a concrete answer.

BTW, Can I use my refilable mug from my previous trip?;):D

I have to say I'm pretty shocked that people on this thread don't know it's customary to tip a server 18-20% on a restaurant check total. This is expected and it's how people make a living. Is this really still such a mystery? Or are you justifying your weird cheapness?

As far as why a server at a higher-cost restaurant deserves a higher tip, it has everything to do with service and timing and it makes sense. I know that if I'm eating an expensive meal, I take longer to eat, enjoy my time, and expect a higher level of service (more attention). This means the server has less table turn-over and fewer tables at one time. This is where their higher tip is justified. At a lower-priced restaurant, servers can serve faster, juggle many more tables, and turn tables over faster therefore smaller tips need to add up.

When you go into a restaurant and are unwilling to tip properly, it's just rude. Actually, I think it's worse than rude. You should just do counter service or eat at home.

kimmychad

SanFrancisco;2956339 As far as why a server at a higher-cost restaurant deserves a higher tip said:
so you've never been to le cellier where the server disappears for long periods of time? i have, quite a few times, and no they don't deserve 18% for bringing me a couple plates. i believe the problem is many people dont know what it is to work hard, and when they see a disney server working a little, they think they should tip them alot. please, come to my hospital sometime and watch how hard i work. i don't receive tips (when i do find money, i turn it in). and, i'm in the service industry, so according to some people on here i deserve a tip.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I think that, for the most part, this thread is divided into two parts: those who have worked for tips, and those who haven't.
I have, but I had no idea that you should tip housekeeping. I guess it was just the way I was raised... I never saw my parents do it...
Anyway, I did some research, and you should tip $1-$5 depending on how fancy the hotel is.

And if you don't tip for decent service you're evil.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom