To tip or not to tip that is the question?

rob45

I used to take the change out of my pockets at the end of the day and keep it the lamp or bed table. After 10 days at WDW this added up somewhat, and I left it and a thank you note for the clean up person. I leave a thank you note even now when I travel for a night or two. After a week or more at WDW, yes I would leave some money for them.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
In the United States, every single wait person job at a restaurant is paid a fraction of minimum wage because we are a culture that tips our waitstaff. Our law is written around allowing this exception to the minimum wage rule. It is the only class of job where this is legal (I believe the wording is "jobs who primarily receive their wages as tips", but generally it is only applied in this way.) The government expects the primary wages of this job class to come from our long tradition of tipping.

Now, it's clear that culturally you disagree with this. Fine. However, until such a time as laws are changed in this country that you are visiting, the fact remains that anyone who is waiting on you in a restaurant *is* working for your tips. This is written into our law. You may not like this, you may resent this, you may belittle this, you may feel however you wish about it, but the fact remains that is the culture in the country you are coming to visit.

If no one did this "crappy" job, you'd be eating from fast food counters your entire trip. You don't change the system by stiffing the people on the front lines. Until such time, unless you receive extremely poor service, yeah, anyone who doesn't tip a waitperson in this country, visitor or resident, is pretty crappy.

AEfx

really can you show me where?
Oh dear still on mounted detail.

Tipping

Here is my 2 cents...

We visit 6x a year for 2-3 nights each time. I do NOT tip mousekeeping. I do NOT tip valet, and I tip 5% for buffet service and 10% for table service. (Below Minimum Wage) I feel that our society is rewarding those individuals who choose to work in low paying jobs. It absolutely sets me off when I go to a sandwich shop or a coffee house and there is a tip jar. I find it rude and offensive. If you do not like your job you can head down the street to the local college and grab a little bit of an EDUMACATION.
Remember it is a free market economy you control how much you make by increasing your value to society. More High Demand Skills = More Money

As for the towel creatures, when did disney expect you to tip for extra magic? That could set up unprecidented expectations. So when I walk around the MK and I get a photopass taken I should give them a tip. Or when a CM smiles at me I should give them a tip. Even better, when the CM lets me through the FP line I should give them a tip. This is ridiculus. If I am handing out singles there better be some "Princessess" around. I don't tip the bus drivers, but using the logic posted on this board I should give them a couple $$. I am sure those guys make about the same amount of money as the mousekeepers. The only reason Disney pays so poorly is because there is enough supply (employees) to run the park.

I could go on...

AEfx

really can you show me where?
Oh dear still on mounted detail.

Show you where what?

Where it is written in our law that these people can be paid below minimum wage? Sure, it's on a poster in every single workplace in America that tells us our rights as workers to a fair wage.

Minimum wage is around $7 in the U.S. Wait staff are paid as little as $2.13 an hour because of this.

Wait, you mean in all the years you've been ranting about this no one has ever explained this to you? LOL.

AEfx

Pumbas Nakasak

Show you where what?

Where it is written in our law that these people can be paid below minimum wage? Sure, it's on a poster in every single workplace in America that tells us our rights as workers to a fair wage.

Minimum wage is around $7 in the U.S. Wait staff are paid on average a little over $4 an hour because of this.

Wait, you mean in all the years you've been ranting about this no one has ever explained this to you? LOL.

AEfx

No im well aware that staff can be paid below the minimum wage in this sector, though I thought that was being reviewed. I was given the impression by your post it was written into the law that tipping was compulsory, a right so to speak of the server.

Actually Ive only ever ranted about two things, people who feel the need to come on a web site and post how much they tip, and people who tell me I must tip. I suppose I can now add a third people who judge other on the act of tipping.

However I am somewhat confused is it really the case that every restaurant pays the same , and theres no job that pays better an the minimum?

If that makes you LOL all I can say is you must be real fun on nights out.

Party on dude.

So your wage is 2.13 and I tip you 10% on a $50.00 check therefore you just made minimum wage and you have more than one table for that hour... I may have to lower my %. You are ripping me off!!!

You don't even get taxed on your tips. (Eventhough you are supposed to report 100% of your tips.) You are ripping off the gov't!!!

I have no compassion for you :( :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

AEfx

However I am somewhat confused is it really the case that every restaurant pays the same , and theres no job that pays better an the minimum?

You've criticized people who've replied to this thread a couple of times for saying how much we tip. You realize that the original poster was asking for opinions on it? It's not like anyone started a thread to say "Hey, I'm a good tipper!", but when someone asks, "How much do you tip?" it's not "feeling like they need to come to a website and (randomly) post". It's answering a question for someone.

To answer your question quoted above, some restuarants pay above the absolute $2.13 minimum (the waitperson you replied to above said they made about $4), but yes, in almost every case it is the same no matter what the restaurant or where it is that they get below minimum wage. I'm sure there are extremely high-end exceptions (like the restaurants in NYC that serve $150 hamburgers), but it certainly is the case in virtually every restaurant you visit on the Disney property.

If you chose not to tip a waitperson, great for you. It's a cultural faux pas, and it's punishing the soldier on the front lines because of how the government has set up the system, but just like some people cover their mouth when the cough, and some don't, it's just one of those things "that is".

AEfx

AEfx

So your wage is 2.13...

I hope you aren't speaking to me, as I am not a wait person. I simply understand how the system works.

I know that waiting tables, especially in a place like Disney, is extremely tough and demanding work, and if I can afford to have a meal out and be waited on, I don't mind giving a little extra. It's just how I was raised. Just like some people were raised to open doors and respect their elders, I was raised to take care of the people who take care of me.

AEfx

Pumbas Nakasak

You've criticized people who've replied to this thread a couple of times for saying how much we tip. You realize that the original poster was asking for opinions on it? It's not like anyone started a thread to say "Hey, I'm a good tipper!", but when someone asks, "How much do you tip?" it's not "feeling like they need to come to a website and (randomly) post". It's answering a question for someone.

To answer your question quoted above, some restuarants pay above the absolute $2.13 minimum (the waitperson you replied to above said they made about $4), but yes, in almost every case it is the same no matter what the restaurant or where it is that they get below minimum wage. I'm sure there are extremely high-end exceptions (like the restaurants in NYC that serve $150 hamburgers), but it certainly is the case in virtually every restaurant you visit on the Disney property.

If you chose not to tip a waitperson, great for you. It's a cultural faux pas, and it's punishing the soldier on the front lines because of how the government has set up the system, but just like some people cover their mouth when the cough, and some don't, it's just one of those things "that is".

AEfx

Why do you feel that I would view not tipping as some sort of flag to be waved, Its just as bad as the I always tip X% posts, which is particularly laughable given that some of the posters are parent dependant. But its interesting how a comment about housekeeping has gone back to food service where the biggest gripe about the new dining plan has been the loss of the tip element.

It may be a cultural faux pas but Im sure come judgement day, if you believe in that sort of thing, your tipping record will not figure highly on how your life will be judged.

Sam02

This is for all you cheapskates that dont tip...

if you feel that you dont need to leave a tip(or your head is so big that you dont need too) then dont use the services these people offer. for example, dont allow houskeeping into your room if your cheap husband feels he dosnt have to tip. when you pull up to the hotel, dont allow the bellmen to take your luggage, carry it yourself.

Wow....you are such a nice person. From what I have read on this thread (and countless others just like it) it's people like you that make me keep my stance on not tipping. I understand that there is a wide difference of opinion on the tipping issue of housekeeping, but it seems like the only people who resort to calling names are the ones who are "holier than thou" and tip.

As a matter of fact we do pay for the services of housekeeping, we pay for it when we pay for our room. That is a service the hotel provides, we shouldn't have to pay extra to the person who does it. I agree with a previous poster who said that Disney never expects us to pay more for the "magic" that they hand out. If that was the case maybe we need to start tipping the YOAMD people to get some of that "magic." If you choose to work at Disney and accept their pay then going the little extra mile shouldn't come with the idea "what will I get in return?"

Tipping should always be about saying thank you to the person YOU think deserves it, the person YOU believe went above and beyond their job duty. Who YOU think deserves to be tipped will be completely different from ME and everybody else. Does that mean the we are the "cheapskates?" No that means we have a difference of opinion that shouldn't be belittled because you think otherwise.

*getting off my soapbox*

AEfx

Why do you feel that I would view not tipping as some sort of flag to be waved,

Because in every tipping thread I've ever seen you comment in, including this one, you have made a critical comment about those who receive tips. It seems like a recurring "issue" for you that you feel strongly about. That's just the sense you give off, at least to me.

It's your right to do or not do whatever you want. But when you insult people by telling them they have a "crappy job" because their profession is federally classified as a job dependent on tips for their wages, yeah, I'm gonna defend the people who quite literally wait on us. It came to restaurant tipping because someone brought it up...

That said, this is turning into a /facepalm, because neither of us will convince the other of anything here. I'll continue to tip and feel good about it, and you'll continue to do whatever it is you do and hopefully you'll feel good about that too.

As to judgement day, ROFL, well, you are right, hopefully your tipping record won't feature too much on how you are judged, however, compassion and how you treat others hopefully will, and I just know I treat others how I wish to be treated, no matter what my, or their, position in life.

AEfx

Pumbas Nakasak

But when you insult people by telling them they have a "crappy job"
AEfx

Perhaps we have different standards but what would you describe any job that relies on the charity of others to ensure you make a living wage?

If I can separate the person performing the job from the job why cant you? Im pretty sure why but I shant digress.

Also im surprised that someone thats been brought up with a value system and an education could genuinely accept the assertion that not to tip makes you a "bad person". Mean ? Inconsiderate maybe but bad???

And yes I can sleep easy at night, usually straight after reading your posts.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I leave $2 every night and the last night I leave a $5 with a note asking for extra soap to take home. They never dissapoint.

If you do not want to tip then clean up your own mess.

AEfx

Also im surprised that someone thats been brought up with a value system and an education could genuinely accept the assertion that not to tip makes you a "bad person". Mean ? Inconsiderate maybe but bad???

And yes I can sleep easy at night, usually straight after reading your posts.

I didn't say anyone was a bad person. That's your assumption, although mean and inconsiderate people generally fall under that category, /shrug. Personally, I think it makes someone ignorant of how one behaves in a culture that is not their own, more than anything. Some people respect other cultures, some people don't. However, I do think you are a hypocrite if you don't approve of our system yet you use our restaurants. It's like spitting on the troops because you disagree with the war they fight; but that analogy probably is lost on you.

I'm sorry if my well-thought out, properly punctuated and complete sentences put you to sleep; I have to say I'm usually wide awake after trying to decipher your jumbled thoughts and assorted, unrelated rants. Sometimes there is half of a good point buried somewhere under the complete lack of proper punctuation, structure, or any style whatsoever - this time, though, I'm afraid it's just you being cranky and stubborn and it was my bad to attempt to communicate with you.

"Grrr...tips bad! Waiters have crappy jobs! Growl! I pride myself on being a miser who uses services but doesn't pay for them because it's not required! Bwahaha! Don't like it, get a better job!"

Was that more your speed?

/smile

AEfx

kimmychad

In the United States, every single wait person job at a restaurant is paid a fraction of minimum wage because we are a culture that tips our waitstaff. Our law is written around allowing this exception to the minimum wage rule. It is the only class of job where this is legal (I believe the wording is "jobs who primarily receive their wages as tips", but generally it is only applied in this way.) The government expects the primary wages of this job class to come from our long tradition of tipping.

Now, it's clear that culturally you disagree with this. Fine. However, until such a time as laws are changed in this country that you are visiting, the fact remains that anyone who is waiting on you in a restaurant *is* working for your tips. This is written into our law. You may not like this, you may resent this, you may belittle this, you may feel however you wish about it, but the fact remains that is the culture in the country you are coming to visit.

If no one did this "crappy" job, you'd be eating from fast food counters your entire trip. You don't change the system by stiffing the people on the front lines. Until such time, unless you receive extremely poor service, yeah, anyone who doesn't tip a waitperson in this country, visitor or resident, is pretty crappy.

AEfx

well when my family goes to disney in sept and we eat at le cellier the bill should come to about 220 +/- due to being on the deluxe dining plan, which includes appetizer, entre, and desert. that works out to about $40 if i give 18%. for 4 people. sorry I just don't see that as reasonable. I understand they work hard, and so do alot of other people, but $40 for about an hours work? thats pretty good money, even if my table was the only one they had. but it never is, they have others. I could easily see a server at a popular restaurant like le cellier making $100 for about an hours work. thats just not reasonable to me.

Dwarful

Wow! I love these threads. Really gets the ole blood boiling. One comment I don't agree on is ..and I am paraphrasing here "If you don't want to tip clean up your own mess". When I book a room at Disney I expect a few things. I expect a Disney service, a clean room and a magical stay. I don't think Disney or any hotel/resort etc., expects paying guests to maintain their own rooms. However, with all of that said...I must say I always pack a pop up hamper and keep our room very tidy. I am a bit compulsive. I can't stand chaos. I like the counter tops clear, clothes put away, hung up, etc., so basically housekeeping has to change towels, empty trash and run the hoover. Christmas Day we tip $25 because they are giving up their holiday to ensure we have a great Christmas. We have left tips at all of the resorts but not always.

The one thing I never get with tips is the difference between hotel/resort tips and restaurant tips. Why do we gauge restaurant tips on the total cost of the meal? That just doesn't make sense to me? Esp. when the majority on this board tip Mousekeeping roughly the same price each day whether they are staying at the all stars or the deluxe resorts. That is just one little tip oddity I have never understood.

PeoplemoverTTA

We tip $1 per person in the room. We are also sure to leave a note saying something to the effect of "For Housekeeping - thank you!"

We usually bring candy to munch on in our room and will leave a couple Hershey Kisses or something with the tip.

I'm usually traveling with my mom or sister, and we inevitably need extra washcloths, towels, or whatever. Since we make these requests pretty much every day, we tip. There have been occasions where our ice bucket wasn't emptied or our request wasn't filled....on those days we won't tip (that happens rarely, though).

I have no problem with people who don't tip...that's their prerogative, and that's why it's called "tipping" and is not part of your room bill. Still, I do not judge people who "choose" to work in service positions. Idiots like me with high-faluting master's degrees depend on service people to make our days easier. For that, I respect the heck out of people in the service industry.

That being said, I tip accordingly for exemplary service in restaurants and hotels.

shmmrname

We tip a dollar a day, per-person in the room. Beyond if it's necessary, it's nice and it's a dollar. I pay more than that for a drink at work. A dollar. If it makes someone's day even a fraction better, I think I'll be just fine without that dollar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom