Timekeeper AND Carousel closing?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
TarzanRocked99- said:
The Timekeeper building is bigger than you think, they put the Buzz lightyear ride in there at both Disneyland and Tokyo, plus there is alot of dead space behind the building..

Nope - Buzz Lightyear runs almost the full length of the back of the CV360 theatre.

Ghostbuster626 said:
I hope they shut down Space Mountain soon and gut that sucker to make way for the vastly superior California version.

Nope - but a big rehab is on the cards at WDI. Has been for almost 12 months too.

Ghostbuster626 said:
I dont conform to your beliefs that WDW should remain a museum. :cry:
It shouldn`t, but surely an attraction should be replaced by something that is at least equal to that which it replaces in scope, scale, theming and detail? THAT hasn`t been the case for a very long time.

marni1971 said:
It shouldn`t, but surely an attraction should be replaced by something that is at least equal to that which it replaces in scope, scale, theming and detail? THAT hasn`t been the case for a very long time.

Thats because Disney management sucked for a very long time. Now we have new blood running the company and WDI is set for a shake up and the new decree is "no more mediocre attractions!" so rest assured COP's replacement will be superior in scope, scale, themeing and detail. :D :sohappy:

DDPGambit

Ghostbuster626 said:
Thats because Disney management sucked for a very long time. Now we have new blood running the company and WDI is set for a shake up and the new decree is "no more mediocre attractions!" so rest assured COP's replacement will be superior in scope, scale, themeing and detail. :D :sohappy:

All assuming there is a replacement. Lasseter is a longtime Disney fan...he may not want to see COP go away.

Imaginationeer

Ghostbuster626 said:
Now that Eisner is gone progress can finally be made at WDW. We have to make up for ten years of medoicre attractions! Im glad there getting the ball rolling. I would love to be there the day the bull dozers drive into Magic Kingdom to build something new over the ashes of old. I hope they shut down Space Mountain soon and gut that sucker to make way for the vastly superior California version.

As much as I did not like Eisner, it would completely be unfair to say that the last 10 years have been medoicre.
Winnie the Pooh, Mickey's Philharmagic, Small World Rehab, Wishes, Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin', Rock n Roller Coater, Countdown to Extinction, And Expedition Everst just to name a few.

CaptainMichael

Ghostbuster626 said:
But seriously, I made such topics as "This message board is about to become very interesting" and "Disney please update Star Tours!" so how can you say I dont add anything positive to the community just because I dont conform to your beliefs that WDW should remain a museum. :cry:
Never have I ever said that WDW should remain a museum. I have always stood up for progress on these boards. However, sometimes progress is not necessary or isn't progress at all. There is no need to close CoP when there is already vacant space in Tomorrowland. There is also no need to close the one attraction that Walt said should never be closed.

CaptainMichael

Imaginationeer said:
As much as I did not like Eisner, it would completely be unfair to say that the last 10 years have been medoicre.
Winnie the Pooh, Mickey's Philharmagic, Small World Rehab, Wishes, Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin', Rock n Roller Coater, Countdown to Extinction, And Expedition Everst just to name a few.
I agree, the past 10 years have been far, far, FAR from mediocre!

You forgot Animal Kingdom on your list.

I don't see Iger being too drastically different these next couple of years. Some people forget that the WDC needs to make a profit.

zone15int

icorsix said:
Jim Hill (I know, I know, some think he is a rumor monger) is reporting on his site that MK managers have told cast members that not only is The Timekeeper closing but that CoP is expected to close by the Fall. Can anyone confirm this rumor? :confused: :cry: :mad: :eek: :( :lookaroun

It depends on whose managers you are talking about in the MK but, My managers in TomorrowLand who are Attractions managers have not said anything about the CoP closing in the fall.

zone15int

Ghostbuster626 said:
I hope they shut down Space Mountain soon and gut that sucker to make way for the vastly superior California version.

Dude, we don't need a one track Space Mt. IF they do tear out the track and I mean IF they do, they should create a new Space Mt. experience that dwarfs the one in Disneyland. What about "no more clones" thing that people say that John Lasseter said? Also by the time that SM is due to go down for rehab wont the DL one be "slightly outdated" to a slick brand newly imagineered version for WDW?

Imaginationeer said:

uh:
-Pooh....sucks (they tried to pull a fast one on Disneyland by cloning it and brining it there and everyone in california from Disney fans to the news media tore it apart because its such a mediocre attraction).

-philarmagic...ok (certainly better than what was there before.)

-rock n roller coaster...somewhere between meh and ok. Its a pretty generic roller coaster.

-Small World rehab...great. At least the rehab helped bring the ride up to a somewhat acceptable level when compared to the superior Disneyland version.

-CTX...Alright, could have been better..but then it became Dinosaur which is the worst attraction name in history. Its a pretty big downgrade from Indiana Jones though.

-Soarin' - Very good.

-Expedition Everest..Very good

-Mission: Space....somewhere between "meh" and "alright"

-Test Track...somewhere between "alright" and "good"

Disasters:

Journey into YOUR imagination

Journey into YOUR imagination w/ figment..what the hell why is figment acting like some "EXTREME" ADD nut and whats with all the smells, loud noises, and bright flashes. Lame and annoying.

Stich's lame escape - Don't even get me started and its not even disney fans that are complaining. For example I was at roaring forks and the family at the table next to me were like that "stich ride was horrible! even the alien ride they had before was better than that!" and thats just one example.

Tiki Room Under New Management: Because tiki RAP music is soooo HIP right Eisner??

I can keep going but I wont.

Ivan72

It seems to me that many have forgotten what inspired Walt to create a recreational experience unlike what was available all those years ago. He wanted a place that would offer diversions and experiences for family members of all ages. Not all attractions appeal to all people. Guess what, that's part of the process. What may feel like a compromise to a techno ride freak may be a thrill for a child. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, while some rides may have to close due to changing times, others are timeless. Carousel of Progress, I believe is timeless. Many people have a love of nostalgia in them. It is an entertaining show, it's not attempting to be a cutting edge thrill ride.

As for fitting in with Tomorrowland, if I'm not mistaken, the original concept of trying to portray the future has given way to examples of what people used to think the future would bring. Seems like a fit to me.

We just saw COP 2/1/06 and loved it as did many others who were in our theatre.:)

Epcot82Guy

Interestingly, I will agree that CoP has fallen out of TL's theme. Tomorrowland had become the Future that Never Was... the Buck Rogers-type presentation. That means the Past that Was doesn't mesh necessarily. I do think, however, that it would fill a HUGE portion of Epcot that has been disappearing. With the loss of attractions, the focus on what came before to build the great accomplishments of the modern day has been slipping away. I would LOVE to see it head over there to anchor a new area that celebrates what came before.

On a side note, I also think the forcing of characters into Fantasyland East is really missing hte point, too. How many kids dreamed of alien worlds and rocket ships and other such great encounters? How many stories and foundations for attractions exist there? Why do we need to shoehorn things into an area that should, objectively, be the easiest from an original story perspective!

ThumpersThought

Ghostbuster626 said:
uh:
-Pooh....sucks (they tried to pull a fast one on Disneyland by cloning it and brining it there and everyone in california from Disney fans to the news media tore it apart because its such a mediocre attraction).

Pooh at Disneyland is not a true clone of Pooh at WDW. It's similar, but, it's a different story with different ride vehicles. I personally don't think it flows as well as the WDW version... my humble opinion... (could be because the flood is my favorite part, which is not part of the Disneyland version)

PintoColvig

Original Poster
Ghostbuster626 said:
…most guests hate it.

...I don’t conform to your beliefs that WDW should remain a museum.

Eh, how do you know most guests hate it? And, how do you know that it is his belief that WDW should remain a museum when it appears that all he wants to do is keep an attraction that he likes?

What we have here, folks, is a guy who has the amazing ability to read minds. :brick:

Ghostbuster626 said:
…so rest assured COP's replacement will be superior in scope, scale, themeing and detail.

Perhaps the next great attraction in Tomorrowland and CoP's will be the Amazing Mind-Reading Ghostbuster! He knows all and sees all.

Okay, so you don’t like CoP. Fine. Say so and say why. But don’t throw out these indefensible comments (like “most people hate it” when you haven’t spoken to most people who have ridden it) or overreaching comments (like “you want WDW to remain a museum” when the poster made no such statement).

It’s called Walt Disney World. Without Walt there would be no Disney World, there would be no Magic Kingdom and there would be no Tomorrowland. What is the harm in protecting an attraction that has a very direct connection to the creator of DL and MK, Walt himself? There are several attractions in MK that Walt originally designed for DL. But, unless I am mistaken, all are clones except CoP. That means that CoP is the only attraction in all of WDW that is truly and specifically a Walt Disney original. Come on! Why would anyone dare to suggest that it should be bull-dozed? That’s as close to heresy in the world of Disney that one can get. I am not saying that every classic ride is sacred but if there is such a thing as a sacred attraction, CoP is it. Move it, if need be, to another location (in TL, Epcot, or elsewhere) but don’t let this gem of a classic be destroyed. And, don’t insult my intelligence and that of others on this board with flaming comments about it. :mad:

I'll step down off my stump now.

CaptainMichael

icorsix said:
Eh, how do you know most guests hate it? And, how do you know that it is his belief that WDW should remain a museum when it appears that all he wants to do is keep an attraction that he likes?

What we have here, folks, is a guy who has the amazing ability to read minds. :brick:

Perhaps the next great attraction in Tomorrowland and CoP's will be the Amazing Mind-Reading Ghostbuster! He knows all and sees all.

Okay, so you don’t like CoP. Fine. Say so and say why. But don’t throw out these indefensible comments (like “most people hate it” when you haven’t spoken to most people who have ridden it) or overreaching comments (like “you want WDW to remain a museum” when the poster made no such statement).

It’s called Walt Disney World. Without Walt there would be no Disney World, there would be no Magic Kingdom and there would be no Tomorrowland. What is the harm in protecting an attraction that has a very direct connection to the creator of DL and MK, Walt himself? There are several attractions in MK that Walt originally designed for DL. But, unless I am mistaken, all are clones except CoP. That means that CoP is the only attraction in all of WDW that is truly and specifically a Walt Disney original. Come on! Why would anyone dare to suggest that it should be bull-dozed? That’s as close to heresy in the world of Disney that one can get. I am not saying that every classic ride is sacred but if there is such a thing as a sacred attraction, CoP is it. Move it, if need be, to another location (in TL, Epcot, or elsewhere) but don’t let this gem of a classic be destroyed. And, don’t insult my intelligence and that of others on this board with flaming comments about it. :mad:

You deserve a round of applause.:D
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

icorsix said:

ah cut me some slack icorsix im just trying to have some fun :D .

The reason I say most people hate it is because I go on the ride once in awhile and I see how popular it is with the average guest (not popular at all). The theater is on the busy days is only about half full. Kids dont like it, there always talking and getting antsy while the ride is in progress and my sister for example has to be literally FORCED on otherwise she wont go on it. I also see several members of the audiance fall asleep during the show. Its a dated attraction. America Sings, a far superior carousel attraction created by the late great Marc Davis was closed so why should COP be left open?

wannab@dis

Ghostbuster626 said:
ah cut me some slack icorsix im just trying to have some fun :D .

The reason I say most people hate it is because I go on the ride once in awhile and I see how popular it is with the average guest (not popular at all). The theater is on the busy days is only about half full. Kids dont like it, there always talking and getting antsy while the ride is in progress and my sister for example has to be literally FORCED on otherwise she wont go on it. I also see several members of the audiance fall asleep during the show. Its a dated attraction. America Sings, a far superior carousel attraction created by the late great Marc Davis was closed so why should COP be left open?
Why should anyone cut you some slack? You can try to change your story some, but I still think you are wrong. The attraction is popular among guests. In fact, whenever we see it, many guests are singing along and clap at the end. That seems to contradict what you are saying. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I don't mind seeing it replaced, but let's be honest about the situation. It's not all about you and your wants. Your posts are getting close to deserving my ignore button. :rolleyes:

Captain Chaos

I was in Disney in October, and CoP was packed.. Mind you, the park wasn't... True that I walked in and the line wasn't long. But my theater was full.. I don't know how other theaters were, but there were maybe 5 empty seats.. Kids and adults sang along.. Gave me goosebumps. And when our show was over, I took notice that a line had now formed just to see CoP. So, obviously, it is still popular....

I know something that is not popular though: GHOSTBUSTER626 LoL.

dxer07002 said:
I know something that is not popular though: GHOSTBUSTER626 LoL.

:lol: :p

and wannabedis why are you going to put me on your ignore list? im not bothering you. I feel I have a right to have my say as much as anyone else on this forum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom