Timekeeper AND Carousel closing?

DDPGambit

icorsix said:
Not true! CoP itself was originally in DL and was moved to MK to make room for other attractions at DL. It can be moved again (to Epcot?). It probably would experience a revival of interest if it were done right and with the right amount of fanfare.

You've got a very good point there. Why don't they move it to Epcot? Maybe even going so far as to putting it where WOL is. If they could find a sponsor, perhaps they could spruce up the show with newer AAs, and redo the finale. Placing "Walt's baby" in Epcot is very fitting both in theming and in keeping with the Disney legacy. Another idea is placing it near the American Adventure (if there's even enough room to do so), since it really sort of is...at least during the 20th century.

wannab@dis

Corrus, you should know that I'm not 'hanging on to CoP' and am not going to weep when/if it closes. I was only basing my post on the fact that some refurbishments have been made recently. That's why I suggested it MAY be an issue with one group not knowing the decisions of another group. However, it's also clear that something is in the works for TL.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they have up their sleeves. And, I'm not going to say "it better not be this or that" like some others. ;)

Imaginationeer said:
I would love to see you continue, but Could also go back more than 10 years and show you some great stuff from the Eisner Era.

Good sir, may I remind you that the "early eisner era". A time when WDI was constantly toping itself with e-ticket after e-ticket (splash mountain, star tours, indy, etc.) Frank Wells was President and COO of the company and Tony Baxter was in a position where he had a say at what was going on and George Lucas was a creative advisor. However then Frank Wells died in 1994 and eventually Eisner put tony baxter in a position where he would "cause the least" trouble and then of course Eisner and Lucas had a disagreement on the cost of updating star tours.

And I agree with Corrus 100%. Can you imagine if people in 1984 were like "nooo you CANT close Adventures through inner space!! Thats one of Walts rides!!" if you people prevented them from removing that garbage ride we would have never gotten Star Tours, which even though its a bit dated now is still one of the most popular and fanfavorite rides at Disney! Its time for a new era of Disney and that means getting rid of the stuff that didnt work. Walt Disney had no problem retooling the Jungle Cruise when it wasnt popular anymore, nor did he have any problem tearing down Tomorrowland and building a new one. Its time to move on to better things people.

nibblesandbits

Ghostbuster626 said:
Good sir, may I remind you that the "early eisner era". A time when WDI was constantly toping itself with e-ticket after e-ticket (splash mountain, star tours, indy, etc.) Frank Wells was President and COO of the company and Tony Baxter was in a position where he had a say at what was going on and George Lucas was a creative advisor. However then Frank Wells died in 1994 and eventually Eisner put tony baxter in a position where he would "cause the least" trouble and then of course Eisner and Lucas had a disagreement on the cost of updating star tours.

And I agree with Corrus 100%. Can you imagine if people in 1984 were like "nooo you CANT close Adventures through inner space!! Thats one of Walts rides!!" if you people prevented them from removing that garbage ride we would have never gotten Star Tours, which even though its a bit dated now is still one of the most popular and fanfavorite rides at Disney! Its time for a new era of Disney and that means getting rid of the stuff that didnt work. Walt Disney had no problem retooling the Jungle Cruise when it wasnt popular anymore, nor did he have any problem tearing down Tomorrowland and building a new one. Its time to move on to better things people.
I'm not trying to criticize you, I just need to understand, what is this need of yours of Disney to constantly put out incredible e-ticket attractions? I'm 22 and sure, I love thrill rides...I think they are great...but if I want to go on a thrill ride, I have Six Flags for that.

I go to Disney for the experiences. To feel the magic. And while sure, E-tickets are a great way to do that, I also get a thrill out of POTC, all the dark rides in Fantasyland (even Pooh, and no matter how old I am, I will still go on these!), the HM, and even new rides like Philharmagic...(which I have to disagree with you and say that is one of the best things that Disney has put in in recent years...definitely the best 3-D show on property.)

So, you see, it's all about the experience for most of us. A good majority of people, even if we love E-ticket attractions, don't want Disney to constantly keep building them. Because if they keep doing that, eventually one day they will get boring and fail. There will be no where to go but down. And I don't think any of us wants that.

(Oh, and one more thing, what is so wrong with the idea that COP could be updated to go along with the bigger and better things to come...granted it probably won't...and that will be a very sad day when it goes, but still...there is nothing wrong with the ideas that COP puts forth-and this is said from someone who had no idea it existed until a year ago or so)

nibblesandbits said:
I'm not trying to criticize you, I just need to understand, what is this need of yours of Disney to constantly put out incredible e-ticket attractions? I'm 22 and sure, I love thrill rides...I think they are great...but if I want to go on a thrill ride, I have Six Flags for that.

I go to Disney for the experiences. To feel the magic. And while sure, E-tickets are a great way to do that, I also get a thrill out of POTC, all the dark rides in Fantasyland (even Pooh, and no matter how old I am, I will still go on these!), the HM, and even new rides like Philharmagic...(which I have to disagree with you and say that is one of the best things that Disney has put in in recent years...definitely the best 3-D show on property.)

So, you see, it's all about the experience for most of us. A good majority of people, even if we love E-ticket attractions, don't want Disney to constantly keep building them. Because if they keep doing that, eventually one day they will get boring and fail. There will be no where to go but down. And I don't think any of us wants that.

(Oh, and one more thing, what is so wrong with the idea that COP could be updated to go along with the bigger and better things to come...granted it probably won't...and that will be a very sad day when it goes, but still...there is nothing wrong with the ideas that COP puts forth-and this is said from someone who had no idea it existed until a year ago or so)

You do know that E-Ticket DOES NOT equal "thrill ride" right? I dont consider Pirates of the Caribean, haunted mansion or 20k Under the Sea "Thrill rides" but they still are (or in the case of 20k..were) e-ticket attractions. Basically my point is every ride at Disney should be AT LEAST Tokyo Disney Seas quality because thats what 21st century modern WDI is supposed to be designing really detailed well themed attractions not necessarily thrill rides.

Corrus said:
I can only make an estimate based on the things that already happened...
The talks started in 2001... so IMO.. it won't make another year... (educated guess)
Most of the time the closing always happens between 1 to 5 years after the debates... and believe me... these guys know how to talk... :zipit: :zipit: :zipit:

Im not "in the know" or anything but hasnt Disney been planning to close COP since the "New" Tommorowland opened in the mid 90s? I know that really cool piece of concept art of flying saucers in the COP building has been around for a long time.

Jorma

STR8FAN2005 said:
Question:
If you have a problem and Ghostbuster is your problem, then who do you call??? Chuck Norris?
  • Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head.
:lol:

TiggersPooh

with the COP building and TTA right next to it. If they were to redo any part of TTA wouldnt it have to be ADA accessible?

I was told thats why it hasnt closed for a refurb (though it needs one)

nibblesandbits

Ghostbuster626 said:
You do know that E-Ticket DOES NOT equal "thrill ride" right? I dont consider Pirates of the Caribean, haunted mansion or 20k Under the Sea "Thrill rides" but they still are (or in the case of 20k..were) e-ticket attractions. Basically my point is every ride at Disney should be AT LEAST Tokyo Disney Seas quality because thats what 21st century modern WDI is supposed to be designing really detailed well themed attractions not necessarily thrill rides.
I am aware that e-ticket doesn't always equal thrill ride, but I thought that POTC and HM were D-Tickets, but I was wrong with HM...it is actually a E-Ticket according to the list of rides for E-ride nights.

From Allearsnet.com

What are the Magic Kingdom E-Ride Nights Attractions That Are Open?

The current list as of 6/04:

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear
Haunted Mansion
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain

POTC on the other hand (according to this) is not. (And yes, I'm aware that E-rides are gone, just using it as a point)

But on to my main point, since Disneyland was built in the 1960s-70s, it's not going to be filled with up to the date, 21st century rides like Tokyo is, and you know, I think a majority of us would think that's just fine. I like that Disney World is a mix of new and old. I think it's what makes it magical. Sure, some things should be updated to keep them fresh and I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is just changing them for the sake of having a change.

For example, I am more or less ok with them changing POTC (a little nervous about the finished product, but still excited), but I don't know how I'd feel about them changing Space. I like Space the way it is. Even the jerkiness is fun.

A ride like COP while it may need some updating, is still a wonderful ride. And while you may disagree with that, many others think it's just as wonderful as I do. As I stated the message of the ride is still there and that is what is important.

Mixing rides like those (rides that are more or less original to the park), Splash, Philharmagic, Everest, TOT, and FOLK are what makes Disney what it is. I don't see why Disney must update all of it's rides to the 21st century by changing them completely (or getting rid of them all together.) Because truthfully, it doesn't matter how new or updated the ride may be, what matters is that the story of the ride gets told.

prberk

Expo_Seeker40 said:
Though the CoP was originally supposed to remain at Disneyland for ever, there were too many benefits that the CoP would recieve on the East Coast that made the move possible. It wasn't Disneyland trash, it was done to make the ride nestled into a better "home"! :brick:

I really don't understand how a bunch of singing birds and other animals gives a message of progress in tomorrowland, so somehow I think america sings closing was proper.

The CoP is a true exception. I don't mind if it moves or not, but there is no reason why a true walt disney made ride must be destroyed when it can be plussed and better advertised.

The COP also moved to WDW in part because it made the resort (and its coming EPCOT project) make sense. COP told Walt's story of progress, that he saw continuing in the Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow, which is why the real EPCOT continued the COP theme with the same family in its original Horizons presentation.

For me, COP helps make WDW and Walt's dream in perspective. While the resort as a whole grew and changed, it helped everything to make sense (what is EPCOT and why was it built?) when I knew that Walt had done COP as a big showcase of progress before he died, and just as a precursor to his biggest dream.

OK, so it helps EPCOT and WDW into perspective, and maybe even fires the imagination of a Disney fan... so what?

Well, my experience is that that is the "plus" of it all. The attraction still works as a people-pleaser and an attraction where grandchildren can experience it with their grandparents. That is what I have seen happen with so many of my friends and family. They all like it. It balances the Buzz Lightyear stuff.

As for attendance, it swallows audiences whole. That is why the line may not appear long. Many of the newer things cannot seem to accommodate so many guests so fast. So, I do not think that its lack of a line or partially filled theatres really tell the attendance story.

Anyhow, I would like to see it kept, and updated, with a walk-through final scene that challenges you to look to the future (or perhaps has a holographic kaleidoscope of newer progress in electronics on view as you go out...). And perhaps moving it to the Timekeeper-MainStreet area would be a good way to get this done...

Just my thoughts,
Paul

Mr.EPCOT

Let me start out by saying this: I love the Carousel of Progress to death. I love everything about it. I love the originality of the ride system, I love the cheesy dialogue, and I especially love the music. But if Imagineering has an attraction planned that they are really excited about that requires use of the Carousel building, I am more than happy to let go of it. The problem is, I don't think that's the case. If the rumors are true, we're talking about replacing it with stupid Little Green Men bumper cars, a vague revival of the Flying Saucers from Disneyland. There's no reason that couldn't go where the Skyway building is, or even on some of that empty land around there. It's a cute idea, but to me it is akin to replacing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with Pooh's Playful Spot. Now, I've posted this elsewhere, but I would love to see them tear down the Skyway, and rebuild Horizons there to tie-in directly with the Carousel of Progress. It might have become outdated in Epcot's Future World, but it certainly fits with Tomorrowland's theme that The Future That Never Was, Is Finally Here. It'd certainly give a little more direction away from the cartoony things that are taking over Tomorrowland.

wannab@dis

ImagineerMMC said:
I would love to see them tear down the Skyway, and rebuild Horizons there to tie-in directly with the Carousel of Progress.
Yeah, there's some progress... rebuild an old attraction that was already removed. <strike>Hopefully, your nickname will never come true. Your ability for progressive and creative thought is zilch.</strike> That idea doesn't sound very progressive or creative at all.

Edit: specifically noted the bad horizons idea....

yensidtlaw1969

wannab@dis said:
Yeah, there's some progress... rebuild an old attraction that was already removed. Hopefully, your nickname will never come true. Your ability for progressive and creative thought is zilch.
Dude, he's got like 10 posts and just misses an attraction; How can you tell he isn't creative? I find telling someone that they lack creativity is one of the greatest insults in the world, so please apologise and wait until he posts some of his ideas.

Thank you.

Yensid "How do you know he doens't want to update it? Besides, Horizons was a very progressive attraction - though maybe a little dated, it was progressive . . ." tlaw1969

wannab@dis

yensidtlaw1969 said:
Dude, he's got like 10 posts and just misses an attraction; How can you tell he isn't creative? I find telling someone that they lack creativity is one of the greatest insults in the world, so please apologise and wait until he posts some of his ideas.

Sorry, but my post stands. :wave:

Take a look at some of his posts. The short history already has some things that are questionable at best.

But, to your point... Do you REALLY think rebuilding an old attraction from Epcot in Tomorrowland is creative? I don't and so I'll post that. Sorry you don't agree.

yensidtlaw1969

wannab@dis said:
Sorry, but my post stands. :wave:

Take a look at some of his posts. The short history already has some things that are questionable at best.

But, to your point... Do you REALLY think rebuilding an old attraction from Epcot in Tomorrowland is creative? I don't and so I'll post that. Sorry you don't agree.
I'm not asking you to apologise for what you said, just how you said it. You said he is very uncreative. I'm sure there are plenty of Imagineers people might have thought weren't creative before their Imagineering days because no one saw or heard about their ideas for the parks. i feel this is the same situation. He has expressed one idea, and you don't like it. That's fine, but it doesn't mean all his Ideas are bad and that he is uncreative, it just means you don't agree, and that's mopre than acceptable. Saying someone has no creativity is unacceptable in my book, and I not only felt he's be insulted, but I was myself. That was really why I asked you to apologise.

By the way, I looked over hsi posts, and didn't find anything that I would consider "questionable at Best". He sounds like someone who knows some interesting facts that we may not have known or forgot about. I hope you're not questioning these things because he is new, as many people here tend to do.

Am I done? I think so, I'm trying to think, did I have anything else to say/ No, I guess not. Sorry, talking to myself. Guess not. Ok i lub you buh-bye.

Yensid "Benefit of the Doubt" tlaw1969

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom