Time Racer Coming

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Ok. Well let's step back for a moment and say that Time Racers does get put into SSE.

We know that the track is vital to the keep the structure from collapsing in on itself. So how would this effect the attraction. Wasn't it supposed to be a "spider-man"ish type ride (The whole moving 3-d deal)?

And TheBuster4. The Soarin Ride is replacing Food Rocks, and will have its own building, the entrance is set to be where Food Rocks is, or so the rumor goes, we'll know on Oct. 9th.

And just because its getting a rehab on the outside doesn't mean jack. Two months down the road, we could (NOTE THE WORD COULD) see a new look at the UoE, or something totally different.

Seeing that what I've heard about TR, and saying that it get's confirmed on Oct 9th, I stick to what Ive been saying in that UoE, out, and put the Time Racers attraction in there, because they have more than enough room to build that attraction.

Although I do like UoE, in a way.....45 mins to relax, and its easy for me to drain out the stuff they play on there (Thank God for my iPod and Disney Park Music on it), turn that on, and relax.

PaisleyMF

Retrofit

i ve been reading and reading and one thing is for sure, Anyone can retrofit a ride, hey does Space Mountain now has speakers and some other stuff? Does the tree barges in Splash mountain are different? Why can the remove the doombuggys, the scenes and have a whole new ride put on...? I know that the will need to do changes on the structure itself but it doesn't mean that they need to torn down everithing, hey how about a car like the ones in CTX or DL Indy's they run on a track just like the doombuggys, just add the marks to activate the cues...

And BTW why they dont move also to Epcot Carousel Of Progress where the Oddesy Building is at!!!

ToTBellHop

Re: Retrofit

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
i ve been reading and reading and one thing is for sure, Anyone can retrofit a ride, hey does Space Mountain now has speakers and some other stuff? Does the tree barges in Splash mountain are different? Why can the remove the doombuggys, the scenes and have a whole new ride put on...? I know that the will need to do changes on the structure itself but it doesn't mean that they need to torn down everithing, hey how about a car like the ones in CTX or DL Indy's they run on a track just like the doombuggys, just add the marks to activate the cues...

And BTW why they dont move also to Epcot Carousel Of Progress where the Oddesy Building is at!!!

Wow...it is so hard to comprehend what exactly you are talking about. From the few things I understand, some helpful hints:
1. Doom Buggies are found in the Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom--Spaceship Earth uses Omni-Movers. One thing you allude to that is well taken is: just because you can't remove the floors from Spaceship Earth doesn't mean you can't integrate a brand new ride system and create an E-Ticket and/or thrill ride. An EMV I probably wouldn't expect, just because if Disney World were to ever get a second EMV attraction, it'd be the Indiana Jones Adventure. There are still a lot of possibilities that wouldn't involve gutting the building...it has to be something that would make sense in a 180-foot tall geosphere, though...not sure what time travel has to do with that...

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Favrefire4
God people understand this. It is impossible to gut Spaceship Earth, hear it IMPOSSIBLE. It most likely will never happen, most likely a new omnimover and updated scences but it is impossible due to the sturcture of the ball to gut it and put in some other sort of ride.

From amongst the people who are making this claim, I invite all of you who are structural and mechanical engineers to please identify yourself.

I am not one myself.

I doubt that whatever the plans are for the geosphere, that it would involve removing the actual spiral floors from the building. The ride systems is attached to those floors and therefore capable of being removed.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by DisneyDJ
Here's a great link to some photo's of SSE being built. You can see how the superstructure is supported from the center out. Kinda like the WTC, but with that golf ball shape we all know and love.

http://www.intercot.com/edc/SpaceshipEarth/spconcepts.html

Until Next Time...

Interestingly enough, The Tishman Companies which were responsible for the construction of EPCOT also was involved in the construction of the World Trade Center.

Favrefire4

From amongst the people who are making this claim, I invite all of you who are structural and mechanical engineers to please identify yourself.

I am not one myself.

I doubt that whatever the plans are for the geosphere, that it would involve removing the actual spiral floors from the building. The ride systems is attached to those floors and therefore capable of being removed.

Okay, no your wrong. Sorry I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to prove a point here. Okay the spiral floors are what support the ball. If they come out, well no more ball. That means they can't come out and the ride system cannot be changed. Those floors techincally could be removed but techinally not. Either the ride system stays the same and the ride is just updated, some kind of new monimover with the current floors, or finally forget the whole re-do which I think they will do.

Lee

Adventurer
This is not a clear cut situation.

1 - The sphere CAN be gutted if necessary, and it will not fall down. In fact, it is two spheres in one. The inner sphere holds the rooms and spiral floors, the outer sphere is the aluminum panels and their supports. There is about 2 feet separating the two spheres. It would be a lot of work, but the inner sphere could be removed, leaving the outer shell. This is possible but unlikely.

2 - I have been led to believe that the new ride, STILL called Spaceship Earth, would probably use the existing spiral floor of the inner sphere, but would utilize an all new ride system instead of the omnimover. Most of the scenery would be removed and the walls removed to enlarge the area for different scenes.

I have feelers out to some people who should be able to enlighten me more....stay tuned.

niteobsrvr

I am not one myself.

Okay, no your wrong. Sorry I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to prove a point here. Okay the spiral floors are what support the ball. If they come out, well no more ball. That means they can't come out and the ride system cannot be changed. Those floors techincally could be removed but techinally not. Either the ride system stays the same and the ride is just updated, some kind of new monimover with the current floors, or finally forget the whole re-do which I think they will do.

Okay, I am not trying to be a jerk here but please read and understand my post before you reply. I stated that I did not think the plan to change SE would involve removing the spiral floors of the building. People are correct in saying that the floors are an integral part of the building just like most other structures.

However, the ride system itself has nothing to do with those floors and is simply another structure attached to the spiral floors. The ride system assembly therefore could be removed from the building without altering the structural integrity of the structure.

As for the ride system, I believe the engineers involved in researching the project would be able to design something that would work that is not an omni-mover. I have no idea what the system might be but a lot of things are possible especially with the right creative minds and an appropriate budeget.

Shaman

By what I've read...it seems to me that it IS possible for SSE to be gutted completely...however...since the price for that is too much...then Disney won't. SO IT IS POSSIBLE...BUT IT WON'T HAPPEN.

That being said...while UoE and WoL are two pavilion which have gotten OLD...I don't see them putting Time Racers there anytime soon. Not only becuase TT and M:S are already on that side but because the fact is that, if SSE remains (meaning with the "time travel" concept) then it makes no sense in putting TR in EPCOT. Anyways, thats my 2 cents on the whole issue.

:brick:

Goofyfanatic

It won't be for awhile if spaceship Earth is redone at all...I would guess their current attraction to work on is Soarin...I beleive we will all know this as fact come the press event in October. I don't think they will consider closing down spaceship Earth for a complete redone unless they have one more big attration...so i think it won't happen until at least Soarin is complete..if it happens at all...perhaps maybe a short refurb...just to get rid of all the AT&t references sprinkel;d around.

Disneynutcase

I believe the original rumor had Spaceship Earth closing sometime in early 2005 with it rumored to reopen for the 25th anniversary of Epcot in fall 2007. I believe we'll hear in the October press conference official word that the new Soaring...attraction will be open in early 2005.

Question is, will Disney brass tip their hand about the rumored Spaceship Earth rehab in the October press conference. I'm betting that they won't--that they'll save official word for at least another year.

However, the time table makes sense, doesn't it. In essence, they'll trade the new Soaring attraction as something that will take over Spaceship Earth's usual traffic flow.

Plus with a new top-tier attraction finally on the other side of Future World, it should actually create a bit more equal traffic flow--at least bring a lot more people over to the LS, Land, and Imagination side of the park earlier in the day.

I'm actually a bit worried about the lines at the front of the park that will happen if they alter Spaceship Earth into any kind of cool new tech cutting-edge ride. Do they really want a potential clog of people at the park entrance? I'm intrigued by how they will actually solve that dilema.

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by Disneynutcase
Do they really want a potential clog of people at the park entrance? I'm intrigued by how they will actually solve that dilema.

Fastpass will help the congestion.
Also, it is possible that the new ride will board inside one of the Innoventions buildings.

First, they shouldn't gut SE. Add some additional/new animatronics, change the ending, replace the current ride vehicles/mechanisms, replace the old sound system with a new state of the art sound system, but for God's sake don't change the ESSENCE of Spaceship Earth! EPCOT (and Disney) has lost its way with all of its new additions. Test Tracks attendance is on the decline, because once you've done it once, there really isn't any great need to do it again. It doesn't beckon you back with great music, scripts, or complex scenes. And the 5 seconds of 60 MPH really isn't worth it. Just go out on any Florida highway and you'll get a much better thrill than TT.

Disney, is squeezing out the notion of a family destination. SE is one of the few attractions left that the whole family can ride at once. What should families do now, hand of their strollers to CMs and say I'll be back in five hours after the adults ride the adult only rides available at EPCOT. If Time Racers is the name, I highly doubt that the ride story will go "come on along as your omnimover takes you away at 5 MPH on the Time Race of your life!" Sorry, but if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and smells like a duck, then it's a duck! ANy drastic change to SE, means the loss of the last attraction in Future World that maintained a vision. The vision of Future World used to be a connection with the past as we look towards all the exciting possible realms of the Future. The rides used to last longer than two minutes, and gave you sense and direction about the future of human kind. Horizons, JII, WoM, LS, all these attractions took an all senses enveloping attraction that left you in awe and inspiration. TT really doesn't do that. What's so awe inspiring about testing a car on bumps or a cars brakes? Where's the concept of developing new futuristic modes and means of transportation that WoM provided? Where's the great music, the great sights, the great sounds, the great smells, that WoM, Horizons, JII, LS, SE provided. It's a total lack of imagination that's bursting at the seems at Future World. Anybody could create a great thrill ride that pleases thrill seekers only. But Disney used to be able to create attractions that enveloped your entire senses while welcoming the entire family. Show me that, and I wouldn't complain about the change to SE. Unfortunately, as of late we've seen none of that!

AS to those who think that I am anti-thrill ride, absolutely not! I just don't think that thrill rides should come at the expense of totally creative, all-age family-friendly, completely inspiring attractions like Horizons, WoM, JII, SE, LS, etc. TT should have been an addition to WoM, not a replacement for example.

Lee

Adventurer
OK, I know this is a very touchy subject for some people, and I don't want to start any heated debate. Just a few points:

1- For the 1 millionth time..."Time Racers" is the proposed post-show for an updated "Spaceship Earth".

2- It is possible to incorporate a new type of ride in SE while preserving it's message. Just because they add new technology and a zippier ride system doesn't mean that the story will be lost. In fact, I have been told that WDI is planning to incorporate, or at least touch on, some of the original Ray Bradbury concepts for the ride. That sounds good to me.

3- There will never be a coaster in Spaceship Earth. Period.

4- As for nostalgia for attractions like WoM, Horizons, etc...
well, ya gotta give the people what they want. Disney's priority is, understandibly, to get as many butts into the park as possible. How do you do that? Give them the attractions they want. Horizons was a great attraction, but frankly it wasn't a huge hit with guests, only running seasonally towards the end. In short, few people were saying "Hey, let's go to Epcot and ride Horizons! Yippee!". Same with WoM. Great ride, but not a huge draw for guests. In that case, GM was a major force behind Test Track, an e-ticket that you can put on a billboard or a commercial and draw guests.
Do I agree with this school of thought....not always. But I do think that Test Track and Mission:Space are positive additions to the park. As will be Soarin. They draw guests, they are gently informative, and most importantly...they are fun.

5- As for kids, well, unfortunately there is not much at Epcot for them except for the Imagination pavillionand those stupid fountains that parents let their kids frolic in. (As long as I live I'll never understand that.) True, Horizons and WoM, and even SE were/are available for kids, but the problem is, kids who are tall enough would rather be on Test Track, and the ones too small are unable to grasp the message of the attractions. Like for instance, Universe of Energy. A parent might say "Great, a ride for the whole family!" while halfway through it the kids are asleep and dad's checking his watch. Disney at Epcot is looking for a type of attraction that will appeal to the broadest possible audience, and that seems to be the moderately thrilling, gently educational sort of ride.
And let's face it, how many kids are all that excited about going on a ride "for the whole family". It's not nearly as important for them as it is for the parents, and if the kid's ain't happy, the family won't visit the park.

Wow, sorry for the long-winded post. I'll shut up now. Please refrain from throwing tomatoes or anything at me.

TimeTrip

I predict that if SE is replaced/updated in a big way... people will "miss" the dark ages smell.. just like they do with the Horizons "orange" smell. Then again... the orange smell is much more pleasant.. so I may be wrong ;).

Shaman

Originally posted by Lee
OK, I know this is a very touchy subject for some people, and I don't want to start any heated debate. Just a few points:

1- For the 1 millionth time..."Time Racers" is the proposed post-show for an updated "Spaceship Earth".

So any new word on how they'll pull off "Time Racers" as a post show...will it be a ride...or something like they have at M:S......and where will it go? :veryconfu

Originally posted by Lee
5- As for kids, well, unfortunately there is not much at Epcot for them except for the Imagination pavillionand those stupid fountains that parents let their kids frolic in. (As long as I live I'll never understand that.)

I will never understand that either Lee...I walk by and think...."ok and you paid a park enterance fee to let your kids play in the water"......:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom