Tim Delaney-Valerie Edwards dismissal thread

EPCOT Explorer

Can you imagine the uproar at the Matterhorn? "ZOMG ur not supposed 2 see a mountain from Tomorrowland!!1!"
It WAS in Tomorrowland...:lookaroun

Can we please stop using the term Doom & Gloomer thing it is really annoying and immature.
See, I see that as a term to live up to.:drevil::lookaroun
I can feel what you're saying, but leemac, who has significant WDI contacts, several months ago lamented how that WDI was going to be gradually changing itself from a basically creative organization, into a basically managerial organization. Meaning that it's primary function would no longer be in-house creativity, but rather the nerve center for controlling outsourced and contracted creative consultants.

Or at least, that's how I remember it. :lookaroun

And leemac's been the "anti-74" historically, so to speak. You have to admit, this and similar moves do tend to give a little credance to what he was saying.
^This...

One thing I have a problem with, is that some people have been completely ignoring the up swing recently.

MK is practically getting rebuilt. A pretty big expansion is on it's way. Parks are getting aesthetic touch ups. There's something changing, seemingly for the better.

While I feel like there are still steps to be taken, the bashing of every little thing that is done is getting slightly tiresome, especially since things seem to be getting better.
:lookaroun:lol:

I wouldn't say that....MSUSA, LS, and FL are getting some nice work.

TL, though? FrL? Adventureland really needs it...:D:lookaroun

mcjaco

If you have inside contacts, why don't you check in with them and see what their thoughts are? It would be one more way we could get confirmation (or not) of what these others are saying.

Why? To appease those that don't believe me? On an internet forum? Puh-leeze.

No, I completely agree that this is a head-scratcher. But some people seem to think that everything that is done is a boneheaded move.

This is what I'm driving at. No matter Disney does, there are those here, that can't get over the fact that Disney has improved over the past 9-12 months with more major changes coming, and they continue to beat them down. On every decision made. I scratch my head everyday at choices made at my company, but I don't get up in the morning thinking they're doing it all wrong!

It always amazes me on how "outsiders" have better working knowledge of a corporations workings then those actually working the problems.

aladdin2007

Just out of curiousity what are some of the things Valerie Edwards is known for? I remember reading about her a few years ago or something but cant recall what she has worked on. Wasn't she a artist/designer who worked on some of the latest animatronics? I thought I had read about her doing the latest Hall of Presidents since blaine gibson had retired.

EPCOT Explorer

Just out of curiousity what are some of the things Valerie Edwards is known for? I remember reading about her a few years ago or something but cant recall what she has worked on. Wasn't she a artist/designer who worked on some of the latest animatronics? I thought I had read about her doing the latest Hall of Presidents since blaine gibson had retired.
HoP, HM, and I am looking stuff up. :lol:

HMF

Original Poster
Her most famous are Captain Jack Sparrow and Barack Obama.

Phonedave

That's proven talent with long careers at Disney. Just stop, and think how many talented people have departed Disney this year alone.

Not to make excuses, but the economy also plays a large part in this.

I have been watching talent, not just in the company I work for, but in the entire sector I work in, leave in droves.

Somtimes they outright retire, sometimes they are "retired", and sometimes nobody knows what happened.

Many times they go off to other, smaller companies. Places where they may not have quite the salary or presteige, but they can more easily shape things in their vision.

Mid level executives are moving out in droves to smaller companies where they can "take it easy" while still having more control.

It really is getting to be a scary world out there.

-dave

jt04

I have been watching talent, not just in the company I work for, but in the entire sector I work in, leave in droves.

Somtimes they outright retire, sometimes they are "retired", and sometimes nobody knows what happened.

Many times they go off to other, smaller companies. Places where they may not have quite the salary or presteige, but they can more easily shape things in their vision.

Mid level executives are moving out in droves to smaller companies where they can "take it easy" while still having more control.

-dave

Very scary.

mcjaco

-dave

Same here. It's turning into a revolving door for some business units.

jakeman

Silly, the economy only affects those that are going to Disney, never, ever Disney itself.

Don't you read the boards?

There are many sides to the story. Sometimes what we get on the boards is close to the truth, sometimes it's not. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

Two people left. The company will move on. For better or for worse, I don't think any of us are in a position to say.

On top of that 99% probably don't even have enough information to speculate appropriately, including those that are "insiders".

Look, I'm not a fanboy, or at least I think I'm not, but I still don't understand completely. If WDI is going downhill so desparately, then why the improvements lately? I realize that things are not perfect and there are many places with room for improvement, but with the FL extension and everything going on with DCA, and many bite size but important improvements at the parks like TL and Future World. Or do those little improvements have more to do with operations?

WDW1974

I'm tired of 74 doom and gloom over everything that changes. We don't know the back story, so to pontificate that this is "all wrong" and a horrendous loss, is just moronic. How do we know that keeping them on wouldn't create more of the same old, same old that's been going on for the past few years?

Maybe that was part of the problem. Some times it takes a major shake up to get things moving in a new direction.

But let's sit around and proclaim this a travesty of magnificent proportions, and Disney is as usual headed in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:

If you don't like my 'doom and gloom' (I prefer to call it reality, although I do realize that many Disney fans would rather bury their heads in the sand than hear about the less than magical things happening) here's a solution for you: DO NOT READ OR COMMENT ON MY POSTS.

I'm tired of reading moronic fanboi posts that have no basis in reality (hey, let's have another fifth theme park thread or how about a Spiderman being moved from IOA to MK one etc). I'm tired of people always opting to defend da man (in this case, Disney) when they are clueless about what they're talking about and being downright aggressive and hateful toward those who do.

I have had the pleasure of knowing Tim Delaney. He is an amazingly talented Imagineer, artist and a gentleman. To call him a WDI great wouldn't be unfair. We have a group here drooling over Eddie Sotto, and they were cut from the same cloth and both were significant reasons why DLP is a masterpiece. Only Eddie left WDI a decade ago, while Tim continued to work and 'create the magic' on Flower Street until last week.

And while I didn't know Valerie at all, she was Blaine Gibson's handpicked successor and has done amazing work.

There is no way to spin this as anything but Disney removing yet another high-paid veteran Imagineer (one who worked under Walt's greats and was teaching another generation) well before his time. And the word on Valerie has been consistent from many folks, she had issues with lax quality show standards in her department and that's not acceptable in today's WDI.

Two good people were axed, one that I have had the pleasure of knowing. And somehow, that's a good thing ... or we should at least have an open mind.

But if someone dares suggest Phil Holmes, Erin Wallace or Meg Crofton or some other overpaid, underperforming executive leave Disney to spend more time with their families, they get ripped a new one.

You seriously don't have to look further than some Disney fan forums to see why Disney can do just about anything these days. That's why you get so much of the same old from Disney year in and year out.

WDW1974

I can feel what you're saying, but leemac, who has significant WDI contacts, several months ago lamented how that WDI was going to be gradually changing itself from a basically creative organization, into a basically managerial organization. Meaning that it's primary function would no longer be in-house creativity, but rather the nerve center for controlling outsourced and contracted creative consultants.

Or at least, that's how I remember it. :lookaroun

And leemac's been the "anti-74" historically, so to speak. You have to admit, this and similar moves do tend to give a little credance to what he was saying.

You are quite accurate.

Lee MacDonald and I had online knockdown dragouts years before I ever knew this site even existed. We usually agreed on about 2/3rds of things, but the other stuff ... well, it was constant battling. Largely, because I knew he was spinning for The Mouse and the people and projects he was working on.

But I always respected him because he has an incredible wealth of knowledge about Disney, both creatively and financially.

The fact he has finally come around and his on pretty much the exact page I am on should send chills thru anyone who believes things at Disney are pixie dust and magic.

But folks are so focused on small stuff (TTA's or JC's new spiel, monorail colors, the freaking planter being built in front of Space Mountain, paint at EPCOT etc) they absolutely miss the big picture.

WDI is slowly but surely being gutted of talent ... amazing talent, while work is outsourced (which is never a good thing, except for Wall Street ... and Wall Street is evil!) ...when a figure-head like Marty Sklar 'retires' it gets notice, but when a Bruce Gordon, a Rick Rothschild, a Corey Sewelson, a Wing Chao leaves (none of them due to choice) it really doesn't resonate with the fans. That's sad.

Maybe when Celebrity Imagineer to the Fanbois Tony Baxter gets shoved out the door next year when his contract is up, that'll get some attention.

But if it's just a Tom Morris? A Kathy Mangum? A Kim Irvine? ... You'll all yawn and wonder when the Hulk meet and greet is coming to Epcot.

WDW1974

I understand Corporate America. VERY well. But I also know that what sets Disney (and primarily its parks) apart from everyone else is that they WEREN'T just like Coporate America. They didn't sacrifice "show" for a buck. They weren't Six Flags. They weren't Uni. They didn't outsource, and they cared primarily about being at a level that was unattainable by anyone else... No matter how hard they tried.

But that's not what they're doing now. They're becoming another "regular" large American Corporation. That's what it's felt like they've done for the past few years. And to me, from the outside looking in, it seems like these latest moves only serve to advance that mindset. LeeMac, 74, etc., only confirm what it seems to be from this casual observer's point of view.

That sums it up well.

And corporate America of the 21st century is very ugly. I am not defending capitalism at all costs, which is the current Wall Street mentality (one that says anything and everything is OK, so long as the short term bottom line looks better today than it did last week).

It is killing this nation in the big picture and it isn't exactly doing wonders for Disney either.

And yeah, just to be perfectly clear, I'm pretty much ready for The Weatherman to take his hundreds of millions and leave. He has zero passion for the parks, and that's something that Eisner had in spades ... I was around him enough to see it. It was real and genuine. Iger cares about them as a business unit, but he has no passion for them. And Rasulo? I seriously wonder if he has a clause in his contract that gives him $15K everytime he has to subject himself to actually experiencing an attraction.

Eisner's biggest 'issue' was in destroying FA due to supidity.
I fear Iger's will be destroying WDI. ... but the fanbois can wet themselves because he bought Marvel ... something that will start paying significant dividends maybe in 2018.

WDW1974

One thing I have a problem with, is that some people have been completely ignoring the up swing recently.

MK is practically getting rebuilt. A pretty big expansion is on it's way. Parks are getting aesthetic touch ups. There's something changing, seemingly for the better.

While I feel like there are still steps to be taken, the bashing of every little thing that is done is getting slightly tiresome, especially since things seem to be getting better.

I could be here and say 'so what?' It has no bearing on the subject here ... but I won't.

I will say MK certainly looked better in places than it did say a year ago, no doubt. But in the past year, I've also spent time in Anaheim, Hong Kong and Paris. And they all are in considerably better physical states than MK. Do you wanna talk about basics like show quality, landscaping and cleanliness?

And no, MK isn't getting rebuilt. That's a stretch. A lot of facade work is and painting and wood rot abatement is happening. In the past, this may shock ya as a young guy, routine work like this wasn't cause for celebrations amongst anyone ... yet alone fans. It was taken for granted.

Yes, MK is getting an expansion ... although even that's largely being overstated. Mermaid is taking the place of an E-Ticket that was closed and left to rot in full view 15 years ago next month. And most of the new meet-and-greets are taking place of Temporary Tentland, some of the structures which would be falling down soon if they didn't get bulldozed first.

WDW1974

Silly, the economy only affects those that are going to Disney, never, ever Disney itself.

Of course it affects Disney, jake.

But see Wall Street doesn't care. It is the never-satiated beast. It constantly wants more money, more profit. Real world circumstances don't matter. So, while an average American can lose an $80,000 a year job with benefits and be working temp jobs for $9 an hour, Disney can't make less profit. That's not allowed. Not in our 'not perfect, but it's the best system in the world bs' economy.

Don't you read the boards?

There are many sides to the story. Sometimes what we get on the boards is close to the truth, sometimes it's not. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

Two people left. The company will move on. For better or for worse, I don't think any of us are in a position to say.

On top of that 99% probably don't even have enough information to speculate appropriately, including those that are "insiders".

With all due respect, that's a crock. Some of us do know enough to call a spade a spade.

You may not like it, but it doesn't matter. Oh yeah, but you've got issues because some Spirits may have had a burger grilled by a Disney Legend!

I usually believe in not offering my opinions when I am clueless about what is being discussed. That seems to not stop folks here ... and of course, I'm not talking about YOU, but just in general!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom