Tim Delaney-Valerie Edwards dismissal thread

CaptainMichael

John Lasseter. The most important one, IMO.
He's a film maker, that's his passion and his priority. Beyond that, it's Disneyland...a place I may visit a handful of times during my lifetime.

John can largely make the calls at Pixar ... and FA. But beyond that his power is greatly overestimated by fanbois.
My thoughts exactly, I'm tired of hearing his name as the savior of WDI, P&R, etc...hogwash.

Eh..I like him, but as said, what CAN he do. What is he doing?
He can make a hell of a movie, that's for sure. The closing of the Adventurers Club convinces me that he and Joe Rhode have NO PULL. It all comes down to the Sheriff(Iger) and his Deputy (Rasulo). They hold the power. Lasseter is just a feel good figurehead.

/steps down from soapbox

MousDad

I'll tell you what he's doing. Sending out personal video promos, desparately trying to connect it to the golden age of Disney animation, and otherwise praying and sweating bullets that PATF brings in a boat load of money.

EPCOT Explorer

I'll tell you what he's doing. Sending out personal video promos, desparately trying to connect it to the golden age of Disney animation, and otherwise praying and sweating bullets that PATF brings in a boat load of money.
Hah!:lol:

He's doing a good job, then. PaTF looks great.

MousDad

Hah!:lol:

He's doing a good job, then. PaTF looks great.

MTR, Bolt and Ponyo all looked great. MTR, Bolt and Ponyo all were great. MTR, Bolt and Ponyo did not all do great. JL's personal imprint on non-Pixar Disney animation has so far not reaped financial dividends. And under the Iger administration, that scares me, frankly.

CaptainMichael

MTR, Bolt and Ponyo all looked great. MTR, Bolt and Ponyo all were great. MTR, Bolt and Ponyo did not all do great. JL's personal imprint on non-Pixar Disney animation has so far not reaped financial dividends. And under the Iger administration, that scares me, frankly.

Bolt was a pleasant surprise that I enjoyed immensely. The man definitely knows the key to making good films, but he just doesn't have the time to do both (even if he wanted to).

EPCOT Explorer

I agree.

At the risk of saying things without basis, save for opinion....I think it's about to change. :)

Long disclaimer.:lookaroun:lol:

sponono88

well, a few months ago he was riding an excavator and sporting a construction hat - he helped rip up the asphalt at the groundbreaking for CarsLand :) He's been involved with the DCA expansion, collaborating in projects like WoC and such.

SirGoofy

I do not know how true this is, but it's just something I've been told on the topic of Lasseter.

It was him that pleaded with Iger to visit and see what bad shape MK was in and how badly FL was needed.

Buried20KLeague

These latest moves seem to do nothing but bolster what people have said about the path WDI has been on for quite some time.

Seems that it would be awfully hard to put a positive spin on this and show that the moves were made for the right reasons, and WDI is getting back on track...

And jt04 is oddly missing from this thread, too.

Hmmm.....:lookaroun

mcjaco

Think about how the internets would have blown up if they were around when Ub Iwerks left...

Quoted for truth.

I'm tired of 74 doom and gloom over everything that changes. We don't know the back story, so to pontificate that this is "all wrong" and a horrendous loss, is just moronic. How do we know that keeping them on wouldn't create more of the same old, same old that's been going on for the past few years?

Maybe that was part of the problem. Some times it takes a major shake up to get things moving in a new direction.

But let's sit around and proclaim this a travesty of magnificent proportions, and Disney is as usual headed in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Right or wrong Iger is going to replace those people he doesn't want around with those he does. It's RHIP, and is found in Disney, IBM, Starbucks and government at every level. And unfortuantely, there's not much any of us can do about it......:shrug:

Buried20KLeague

Quoted for truth.

I'm tired of 74 doom and gloom over everything that changes. We don't know the back story, so to pontificate that this is "all wrong" and a horrendous loss, is just moronic. How do we know that keeping them on wouldn't create more of the same old, same old that's been going on for the past few years?

Maybe that was part of the problem. Some times it takes a major shake up to get things moving in a new direction.

But let's sit around and proclaim this a travesty of magnificent proportions, and Disney is as usual headed in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:

We DON'T know the back story. Which is why you should defer to those that do. Eddie, LeeMac, 74, Honor... People of this nature. If you choose not to believe them, then so be it... But I don't think you should cast stones in anyone's direction, either. You don't have first-hand knowledge, and don't claim to. They DO... And are happy to share it.

If you think they're lying, or you don't think they're speaking from first hand experience... Then fine. But that doesn't mean you have any rationale to attack. 74 is saying the same things Eddie, LeeMac and others have said. If you go after him, go after them all.

Creative types are very rarely the "problem" when situations like this arise... ESPECIALLY those with histories and track records like these two have. Stories we've heard (long before this, even) of clashing over money and quality make perfect rational sense and have to have played a part in this. To think otherwise would be naive.

MousDad

I can feel what you're saying, but leemac, who has significant WDI contacts, several months ago lamented how that WDI was going to be gradually changing itself from a basically creative organization, into a basically managerial organization. Meaning that it's primary function would no longer be in-house creativity, but rather the nerve center for controlling outsourced and contracted creative consultants.

Or at least, that's how I remember it. :lookaroun

And leemac's been the "anti-74" historically, so to speak. You have to admit, this and similar moves do tend to give a little credance to what he was saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom